****HELP Bike is unstable after lowside****

AZRider

I low-sided my 2011 Fz6r @ 25-30mph 5 months ago. Luckily i was not injured at all. However the bike has never been the same. Immediately after the accident. When i rode away, the bike felt wobbley and lose. I did hit hard on the left fork. Lower left fork was replaced. The steering is still loose. Bike feels unstable does not track center well. turns hard and loose when i lean from side to side on and off, Constant change in handling. I took the bike in to the dealership. They tightened the steering stem. About a week later the steering went lose again. Rode the bike home still same prob feels loose. I then removed the top tree and accessed the steering stem nut. I noticed there was a top and bottom gear looking nut. I used a the spanner and a screwdriver to adjust the top nut. At first steering was great. Then 2 days later steering became to tight. I then loosened the nut back to original setting. Felt great for about 4 days. Then went lose again. The ins company says at the speed i low-sided (20-30 mph). There would be no bearing damage. Yamaha blames the wreck. The ins company now wants me to pay to have the front end dropped and allow them to see the bearings. They will then decide if there is damage and if so may pay for the repair. Dealer wants 3 hrs of labor to remove and replace assembly at 90 per hour. Any ideas what could be wrong. Don't want to spend money and find issue is something different.
****UPDATE***** May 5th 2012
I had the dealership replace the front bearings. They replaced them to a tapered bearing. There was a crack found on upper bearing outer race. They also put on new Michelin road 3 dual compound tires. First day the bike felt great. It was tracking nice, felt stable etc. The next day the problem came back and few weeks later, The problem is worse then before!! I ended up adjusting the steering stem and that helped. But I still feel a front end wobble at at high speed and bike weaves at low speed very bad. The steering stem will also still not hold the tension the next day after i have tightened the steering stem itself. Bike also turns (like before) fast (touchy) from side to side. Still on and off as if, something comes lose. I wounder now if this is due to the rear spring. I overtightened past 7 by mistake. Few months later the adjuster is bent so bad i cant even adjust it anymore. Could this rear spring be damaged causing a wobble? I have tried to put lateral pressure on the rear of bike. Does not seem loose. I'm so mad at this point i may just get rid of bike! Master mechanic says he has done everything he can. Says maybe frame is bent. But they have no way of testing. If frame was bent, I would think problem would not be intermittent. Any advise on this issue would be great. I have spend a great deal of time and money on this issue. Any direction would be great!!! other blogs i have read suggest damaged axles, forks, suspension. To many directions!!

Fizzer6R

I low-sided my 2011 Fz6r @ 25-30mph 5 months ago. Luckily i was not injured at all. However the bike has never been the same. Immediately after the accident. When i rode away, the bike felt wobbley and lose. I did hit hard on the left fork. Lower left fork was replaced. The steering is still loose. Bike feels unstable does not track center well. turns hard and loose when i lean from side to side on and off, Constant change in handling. I took the bike in to the dealership. They tightened the steering stem. About a week later the steering went lose again. Rode the bike home still same prob feels loose. I then removed the top tree and accessed the steering stem nut. I noticed there was a top and bottom gear looking nut. I used a the spanner and a screwdriver to adjust the top nut. At first steering was great. Then 2 days later steering became to tight. I then loosened the nut back to original setting. Felt great for about 4 days. Then went lose again. The ins company says at the speed i low-sided (20-30 mph). There would be no bearing damage. Yamaha blames the wreck. The ins company now wants me to pay to have the front end dropped and allow them to see the bearings. They will then decide if there is damage and if so may pay for the repair. Dealer wants 3 hrs of labor to remove and replace assembly at 90 per hour. Any ideas what could be wrong. Don't want to spend money and find issue is something different.
****UPDATE***** May 5th 2012
I had the dealership replace the front bearings. They replaced them to a tapered bearing. There was a crack found on upper bearing outer race. They also put on new Michelin road 3 dual compound tires. First day the bike felt great. It was tracking nice, felt stable etc. The next day the problem came back and few weeks later, The problem is worse then before!! I ended up adjusting the steering stem and that helped. But I still feel a front end wobble at at high speed and bike weaves at low speed very bad. The steering stem will also still not hold the tension the next day after i have tightened the steering stem itself. Bike also turns (like before) fast (touchy) from side to side. Still on and off as if, something comes lose. I wounder now if this is due to the rear spring. I overtightened past 7 by mistake. Few months later the adjuster is bent so bad i cant even adjust it anymore. Could this rear spring be damaged causing a wobble? I have tried to put lateral pressure on the rear of bike. Does not seem loose. I'm so mad at this point i may just get rid of bike! Master mechanic says he has done everything he can. Says maybe frame is bent. But they have no way of testing. If frame was bent, I would think problem would not be intermittent. Any advise on this issue would be great. I have spend a great deal of time and money on this issue. Any direction would be great!!! other blogs i have read suggest damaged axles, forks, suspension. To many directions!!
maybe the issue is frame is bent, and when you put good bearings in they get damaged b/c things are not aligned up correctly. there's a well known place in GA i think that many racers send their frames in to get corrected when they crash hard. - prob. not worth it for you. best bet may be to get the most $ you can and get rid of it :(

since only 1 fork was replaced, are we sure the other is fine? maybe the triple clamps are damaged as well. rear swingarm bearings... the list is long of what parts could be off that are affecting this to be ok at first, then after some time riding it can't track right

Doncan

Before you start spending a lot of cash, why don't you just measure your bike or have it measured to check if the alignment of the chassis is up to specs ?? If you can use another FZ6R for comparison, better yet. Also check the wheels and swing arm to see if they are straight. Check the steering again to make sure everything is tight. Go with the basics first and move on fron there...

AZRider

Before you start spending a lot of cash, why don't you just measure your bike or have it measured to check if the alignment of the chassis is up to specs ?? If you can use another FZ6R for comparison, better yet. Also check the wheels and swing arm to see if they are straight. Check the steering again to make sure everything is tight. Go with the basics first and move on fron there...
Thats a good idea I. I'm sure with all the money I spent, the "master Mechanic" Can try this for me.

Last edited:

AZRider

maybe the issue is frame is bent, and when you put good bearings in they get damaged b/c things are not aligned up correctly. there's a well known place in GA i think that many racers send their frames in to get corrected when they crash hard. - prob. not worth it for you. best bet may be to get the most $ you can and get rid of it :(

since only 1 fork was replaced, are we sure the other is fine? maybe the triple clamps are damaged as well. rear swingarm bearings... the list is long of what parts could be off that are affecting this to be ok at first, then after some time riding it can't track right
Good point? I will talk with the shop and find out if maybe the right fork was damaged as well. This could for sure make bike unstable. If not maybe i should get rid of bike and start over. looking at a 2 grand loss at this point. The stress reduction of getting rid of the bike may be well worth the money$$$$ I kind of want a FZ1 now. UPGRADE :)

buzzbomb

Elite Member

AZRider

Quick question: Have you stripped the plastics off, and just looked at the frame? If something is bent, it might be obvious. You can also do a string-check. With the handlebars dead center, run a piece of string or twine or whatever from the rear tire, around the front and back to wrap around the rear. If the string isn't touching tire somewhere, then something is off.

I'm going to agree with some previous posters: It sounds like the problem could be due to many things. Even a low-speed drop can do strange damage. However, if your looking to justify a new bike, you've found good reason to do so. LOL
I myself never have pulled the plastics off too check. The bike shop did do $2400 in repairs, INS. Co paid. They told me they checked the frame for damaged paint, stress fractures. Obvious damage and did not notice any. Not sure how much I trust them however. I will try the string method. As far a excuse to get a new bike LOL just don't tell the wife that !!

AZRider

When you do get a bike up and running we should ride sometime! I'm in Gold canyon!
Sure, I will let you know. I'm in Johnson Ranch in San Tan Valley. Not to far from you. It would be good to ride with another fz6r as my current buddy kills me with his GSXR 750 modified and runs on racing fuel. Every Sat We go for runs up thru the beeline to strawberry. Have breakfast and head back. We sometimes ride all the way over to Jerome after that for lunch and haul ass back down the I17. LONG LONG RUN but Lots of fun!! Any other fun runs I'm open too.

Last edited:

Fizzer6R

sounds like the bike shop did the min. what they needed for the insure $. maybe try some place else

Mr Citrus do you know any local places AZRider can go? I lived in PHX in the 90's and went to Firebird raceway many times, met up with a guy David there that owned S.R. Axis - just looked it up and appears to still be there. not sure if he still owns it, but at that time he was a small biz just starting out and very good to deal with. bought a new chain via mail and did not have a chain breaker to cut to size, he offered and had me come down and did it FREE - earned my biz. there was also a nice moto place in Tempe, forgot name but retail store type for parts, not dealer with bikes. they seemed to know what they were doing. got a set of tires there and had no problem me hanging out in the back while they did it. talked shop with em the whole time and mechanic set the sag correctly, again didnt charge extra and i rolled out of there on the CBR a very satisfied customer. places like these you can tell they have a passion for bikes and enjoy going the extra mile. not the ok your bike is done, you owe us $1000. for basic repair crap @ $100.shop hour:mad:

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

Deanohh

Can you go back to your insurance company and tell them that repairs did not properly fix the bike?? Maybe they can suggest another shop or some other course of actions??

Just a thought...
Yeah, what good is insurance if they won't insure a proper repair?

hfd1 tuner

I bet you have a bent triple clamp(upper/lower fork holder)...if the fork was bent the triple clamp gets tweaked. There is a host of things to check. Ft axle slip in forks/ft axle bent. The cracked bearing race is a HUGE worry if the head tube is not round from the impact to crack the race...I would demand the frame be measured buy a qualifed shop...Hunt a GMD Computrack center. Any time I do Insurance work here in my shop we send the bike to GMD to get measured...The insurance guys like it because they know everything is good. GMD will tell the story I have had crusiers that had funny tire wear and after the GMD measurment and tweaking the riders were shocked at how well it rode after.....most of them have owned the bike since new and never wrecked...well worth the money or road trip to find a GMD center