Help, 2012 fz6r oil change what are the product #'s

a2maxd

so i just called a yamaha local dealership, they had no clue what oil or filter to use on the new 2012's claiming they did not have the charts :rant:

so i was wondering if anyone knew what the product numbers for a yamaha oil filter is, and what oil to use. My bike is under warranty thats the only reason why im going yamalube

thanks

CrazyCawi

so i just called a yamaha local dealership, they had no clue what oil or filter to use on the new 2012's claiming they did not have the charts :rant:

so i was wondering if anyone knew what the product numbers for a yamaha oil filter is, and what oil to use. My bike is under warranty thats the only reason why im going yamalube

thanks
my first set of advice would be to never take it to that shop holy hell....
same filter as all the other model years.....go to motorcyclesuperstore.com and type in the type of bike you have and itll pull up the filter...get the K&N so your next oilchange you can do yourself....

JSP

Super Moderator
Same as the 2009, 2010, 2011... all the same. Nothing has changed.

JSP

Super Moderator
And all info should be in your handy dandy owners manual! ;)

And Yamalube has NOTHING to do with your warranty... Use any oil you want that meets the manufacturers required specs. By LAW they cannot deny warranty on you for not using a specific product, or you doing the work yourself.

And yeah, if that dealer was dumb enough to not be able to find that info, stay FAR FAR away from them!

JSP

Super Moderator
Oh, and WELCOME to the forum! ;) Post up some pics of your new baby!

a2maxd

thanks guys you were way more helpful than so called dealer, one other thing whats a good weight for oil this is my first bike so im still new to some things.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Alex6

The manual says (and prior threads on here *hammered home by JohnKerr talking about filters overall) should be totally fine to go for 8k between changes. However, I know that some oil stays in the engine during the changes regardless, but would it be better if I am changing to synthetic oil to replace the filter now at (lets say) 4k, then again at 8k (to get back on manual schedule for easy memory for future) so that I try to get as much of the Dino oil out as possible? Or just save my $ and do it at 8k only?

If I should get a new filter I am going between the KN204 (for the wrenchability), but also the purolator for reputation and cost..

Thank you!!!
The oil filter cost is so insignificant, I see no reason why you can't change it any time you change oil.
A hand-tight should be good enough for the oil filter. No need to overdo it.

BKP

+1 on changing both the dino *and* the oil filter...

Amsoil or Mobil 1 (specifically for bikes!), and as MNGreg said, hand tight on the filter. It will seal up fine, even if it seems like it was torqued on by the factory.

dmkun

So you don't necessary need the oil filter wrench to remove the filter, correct? I am planning on getting the K&N aftewards so i don't want to buy the oil filter wrench if i don't have to...

So you don't necessary need the oil filter wrench to remove the filter, correct? I am planning on getting the K&N aftewards so i don't want to buy the oil filter wrench if i don't have to...
The only way I could get it off without some sort of filter wrench was to use the screwdriver method (drive a screwdriver through the filter), and I don't really recommend that. The space is too small to get your hands in there or much of anything else, and the filter was pretty tight.

Michael Wilson

cant believe the stealership didnt know what filter to give you... omg i am blown away wth? seeing how ALL manufactures are lazy and use the same parts for years and years and years.... I believe our filter is from like a early 2000 r6/fz6/r1/fz1.... they dont change that stuff offten lol

raybob

I use the Fram PH6017A that I pick up at Wally World (along with Rotella T6 synthetic oil).

As long as they meet the factory engineering requirements, I'm pretty much a happy camper (though I do splurge on the synthetic - $19.99 for 4 quarts).

Bob