Helmets, Visors and the AS1689

VRIIClubby

G'day,

After a fair bit of debate of the FZ6R FB page I have been reading more and more on the appropriate AS for us in Aus, both helmet and visor (AS1609).

AS with most things everyone has their own opinion, some people, like me, are a little more how do we say "forceful" with their opinions lol.

Upon investigating more and more I have found out why everyone has a different opinion on the AS, its becuase its FARKED> lol.

The more I have read the more confused I have become, now, im not retarded, I live in Aus Standards day in day out so am quite adept at reading and interpreting standards and laws, it appears to me from my reasearch that EACH state and territory in Australia has a different rule not only on AS1689 but also on the Visor standard AS1609.

I found this guys write up to be one of the best out there, after you read it, well, try and work out WTF is going on!

State of Helmets

So, with what he is saying, when I ride from NSW to ACT (or any other state I just picked that cause thats what I do alot), my HELMET IS ILLEGAL.

Now how the hell do states have different laws that contravene and bypass an Australian standard?

Lots of conjecture about tinted and iridium lenses, I personally use iridium lense and havent had an issue yet (touch wood x 3).
IN VIC like most things there appears to be zero tolerance to tinted lenses, in NSW it seems alot less "policed" so to speak. Although AS1609 is applicable in NSW whcih states the AS approval needs to be on the lense, but read the above link and that turns that around yet again, confused yet?

Considering that the NSW Police run Blue Iridium Lenses, Scala units and video cameras I do not understand how anyone could ever be fined?

Vic peoples, do the Bike PoPo's wear tinted/iridium down there aswell?

No doubt we can )hopefully) have agreat deabte on this and see if we can ascerttain things a little clearer for us all.

(like how the AS sticker in the outside of your helment is not actually a requirement, but the sewn in label is, but if you dont have the sticker than your pinged!?!?!

I have scenes of homer laying on the ground running around and sqwarking like a chicken after he lost his shit going through my head.

debate.......................................NOW.....

Last edited:

Bert-Aus

Interesting, may have to read the AS to prepare myself for a roadside debate.
As my current lense is gold iridium, previous was blacked out,
but I dont see how either makes any difference if compared to someone wearing sunglasses?

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Malicioso

Yeah Vic is definitely the Popo state by faaaaaarrrrrrr!

I have a Bell Corsa (see avatar), with the tinted visor and live in Vic.
The regulation here states that the helmet must be compliant with AS1609 and a tinted visor can only be used during daylight and must not be used at night time. A clear visor at night is ok. So basically if you're out riding and get caught out late with the dark visor on you will cop a hefty fine, only way to avoid that from happening is to have it up and be ready to have a sore face from all the bugs.

I personally carry my clear visor in my back pack and swap it over if I know I will be out till late. It is a pain in the *** but with the Bell that I have it only takes seconds. The other option is a transitions lens which is clear and goes dark when UV hits it, Bell make one but couldn't justify the $195 price tag when I had already spent $1500+ in gear...

tanoz

It's definitely different per state. Her we never get in trouble for tinted lenses. I actually see So many bikes with FE and the police here do nothing.

On another group though this issue has been brought up, they want to make a uniform standard because ATM technically you can get Into trouble for changing states and just having the wrong sticker.