Helmets, helmets, helmets

sammy56

So after acquiring 5 helmets over the years, 1 round (HJC), 2 intermediate ovals (Shoei RF1000 and Arai Vector2) and 1 long ovals (Scorpion exo 400), I finally found a long oval that may be perfect for me.......
Icon Alliance.
Yes, I heard some bad stories about it, but I chose to ignore them. I tested it out this morning coming into work and I must say I am pleased so far.
For me the Scorpion was perfectly comfortable, but it let turbulant air into my face and my eyes were constantly getting dried out and it just well...sucked.
I was concerned that the Icon was too large of a shell since they only come in two shell sizes and I wear a small. The helmet is physically larger than my Shoei, Arai and Scorpion. That being said, there was no lift at speeds up to 90 mph, so it passed that test for me.
It is very comfy and no more wind blowing my eyes out!

We shall see if it passes an all day test as far as comfort for my shaped head, but I suspect it will be just fine. Too bad I did not understand my head to be such a shape years ago....I probably could have just bought an Arai Profile (now Signet Q). But since I did not, I just could not pay $600 and hope the Signet Q was indeed perfect for me at this point.

LB

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

dodges

I wear an AGV Stealth great lid but at high speeds like 160 plus its very turbulent until i raise my shoulders up ?

Sport Bike Girl

I just bought a Scorpion EXO 500 Ardent helmet and I love it.
Much lighter than my previous Vega Altura, no more head/neck aches after riding on windy days.
It's very comfortable, quiet and great venting and I love the internal drop down sun shade!

back helmet.jpg
front helmet.jpg

sammy56

An update....
So I took a ride today, not too long...a bit over 2 hours. There was some pressure on my forehead and more than I liked, but I will give it some time before I say that this is not a long oval as advertised. I am still hopeful that it is!
Because, for my work commutes I feel no pressure at all and this helmet for me is tremendous at all speeds.
I added the SMH-10 bluetooth on this helmet (Icon Alliance) and it is fantastic. Love listening to music without earbuds and I don't even realize the attachment is on the helmet. Aerodynamics at speeds under 100mph seem totally unaffected.
I will give this helmet about 1500 miles to break in and if still applying too much forehead pressure on long rides, I may have to relegate it to the "commuting" line.

LB