hello, I'm pondering a FZ6R

Jots S.R.M.C.

All of those are designated sport touring bikes. This is a standard/ sport bike.

It makes a compromise between all. It does well as a sport bike. it does well as a mini sport tourer. just a standard. Comfy for a week, and have some real fun on the way.

One example of a set up for sport touring. Marthy has a nice set up, Hieneken had a good set up. Plenty of peeps here set them up opposite end, strictly sport. I have gotten close to 220miles on a tank. I am looking for a little more and will work at it. but you get the idea.
I need to pick that up- beats designing my own, Awsome !

rjohnson5481

jots... your back...

BoneJj

jots... your back...
I've been looking around on a few sites and came across a few videos that mention some stuff about one of the other bikes I've been looking at:

The NT700V, honda

It seems that the motor is a rigid mount into the frame of the bike and that it is also a v-twin motor, granted I know that there are good v-twins but my concern would be vibration to the handle bars and pegs caused by a v-twin, does anyone on here have one of these bikes and could maybe give me some info on this.

I say this because of the vibration on my current vulcan 900 is way too much up at the 80mph speeds and thus is no good for me. With the damage to my right wrist/arm I can't do vibration, I can take a small amount but smaller is better. Hence why I have been taking a look at i4 based bikes that can also become a cruiser setup or already are.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

BoneJj

If you do get a FZ6R (which doesn't have too bad of vibration at higher speeds) you can further reduce the handlebar vibrations with heavier bar ends. I know there is a thread that discusses vibrations in a certain RPM range on the 6R, but as long as you don't hold the RPMs in that range, you should be fine, particularily with the heavier bar ends.
heavier bar ends? Could you expound on this, I've never heard of this before.

I found this thread but it only has 3 posts with no real info:
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/vibranators-any-reviews-23621/

this thread here is rather informative as well:

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/line-4-vs-v-twin-ninja-650-vs-fz6r-whats-main-difference-23422/

if you have any others, do let me know.

Last edited:

Chevyfazer

heavier bar ends? Could you expound on this, I've never heard of this before.

I found this thread but it only has 3 posts with no real info:
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/vibranators-any-reviews-23621/

this thread here is rather informative as well:

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/line-4-vs-v-twin-ninja-650-vs-fz6r-whats-main-difference-23422/

if you have any others, do let me know.
Heavy bar ends work in the same way that a thicker guitar string plays lower notes, the extra mass at the end of the handle bars changes the frequency of the vibration to a lower "note"/frequency it also works by extending the length of the bars because the frequency intensifies as it travels out from the bar clamp to the end of the bar, so the the vibration actually moves on down the bar into the bar end where it is canceled out. A good set of some heavy bar ends or even anti vibe bar ends combined with a some good grips almost kill all vibration

BoneJj

I have a set of those. I even made a thread about it with pictures. I got mine Powder coated black.
yeah, your pictures are not in that thread anymore. unfortunately. It looks like one of the forums functions either pruned the old photos or an admin may have told it to do so.

That's why I upload my photos to sites like photobucket and maintain my own account. I can keep my photos available at all times that way.

BoneJj

I found this video interesting as it directly talks about the 2...

I'd love to find a demo day so I could test them all out:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFHfMBTZSko]Yamaha FJR and FZ6R - Immediate Post Ride Impressions (CAMERA SHAKE WARNING) - YouTube[/ame]

BoneJj

As an update, I'm working on figuring out a few more things about the kinds of riding positions I can take with my screwed up arm. A friend of mine is getting his cbr600 on the road this week and he's agreed to let me take it for a ride for a while after he gets a couple hours in on it. He's been a little deprived of riding it for some time as he hasn't been licensed in this state until just now, he moved down here a couple years ago.

I'm trying to see if I can take that position as I'm considering getting a VFR800 as well as the others I'm looking at as I've always wanted a VFR800, I just think they are sexy damn bikes... they are kind of a touring / SS bike, they don't do either one better than the other but it's a perfect blend/mix bike IMO between the 2 classes. So I'm hoping it will work out with being able to ride my friends cbr600 in that type of position for an extended period of time.

BoneJj

Okay, another update.

Today I went to go look at bikes with a friend of mine and went to the local dealer, they had a white FZ6R in stock so I went and sat on it... I just didn't the seat that much but they did have a FZ1 their and I was looked up some photos of it with the optional lower fairings, and I like it... I was able to take the FZ1 for a ride it was just so damn comfortable for me. I'm impressed with it. It fits perfect all around...

the higher seat is a little annoying but if I lower it an inch I'll be good to go, the fz6r is very nice with the seat height but not good for my big butt.... lol. yes my butt is getting smaller and smaller but I think it'll be a couple years before it's small enough for a seat like the FZ6R has, lol.

I almost walked out of their with the FZ1 but then as I was looking the bike over it has an oil leak.... WTF???? are you kidding me? So yeah, no thanks... The bike has 15k miles on it and that's fine but it obviously hasn't been maintained all that well... I couldn't tell if it was coming from the sensor in the bottom of the pan or the drain bolt or seal... they apparently have tried to clean the bike up so I don't think I can mess with that bike, they are going to have their techs look at the bike this coming week so we shall see... I don't think I'm going to risk it, it could be a sign of shitty maintenance......

So I'm on the hunt for an 06+ FZ1... it was just such a nice riding bike...

Chevyfazer

Honestly the fz1's are rock solid bikes just like the 6's and as long as the oil has been changed that motor will run a long time. The oil you saw was probably from the drain bolt, and is nothing that would shy me away from a purchase. I often get lazy and don't clean the excess oil off from doin a service. Plus it's very easy to over tighten the bolt and ruin the crush washer, so the next time someone does a service it's almost sure to leak.

BoneJj

Honestly the fz1's are rock solid bikes just like the 6's and as long as the oil has been changed that motor will run a long time. The oil you saw was probably from the drain bolt, and is nothing that would shy me away from a purchase. I often get lazy and don't clean the excess oil off from doin a service. Plus it's very easy to over tighten the bolt and ruin the crush washer, so the next time someone does a service it's almost sure to leak.
IDK, thinking back on it, I did notice that it had a decent amount of vibration that the mirrors were kind of hard to see anything in, so I'm wondering if the bike had some kind of other issue. The main thing that I noticed was that there was no oil directly around the drain bolt. it seemed to be more around whatever it is that plugs into the bottom of the pan, it has 2 bolts that hold it in. Some kind of sensor or something, looked like it just had wires going to it. as foe the crush washer, I always change that every time I do a change.

Chevyfazer

I can't speak for exactly what you saw or a fz1, I've never rode one. But I have the fz1 bars on my fz6 and they do transmit a lot more vibration to the bars being that they are pretty much a drag bar. If the price is right maybe they can offer you some sort of warranty? May e express your concerns and get a couple hundred knocked off too!

linkgt

I haven't read the entire thread, but have you considered looking at the Ninja 1000? It is in every way imaginable better than the fz6r. It also has more options such as heated grips, Saddle bag bars, adjustable windscreen, faster, and just better. I sat on it during a recent motorcycle show and it just felt great sitting down, not to mentioned it looks awesome. Just as comfortable as the fz6r since you pointed out that you want a comfortable seating position.
Also, Yamaha has cut a lot of corners on our bike(de-tuned fz6 engine, no center stand like fz6, no emergency light button, expensive exhaust upgrade, just to name a few). I mention this because the fz6 is actually cheaper -_-

I love the fz6r and the people here are the most helpful I've encountered in any forum. But do yourself a favor and get the Ninja 1000 :)

Here are some videos to get your research started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcVe_PIP6hM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnMFSH9x-lA

Again, sorry if this has been said already.

Edit: In the first video, they also said it was better than the fz1 since you looking into that bike

Last edited:

roadrat

Never rode the FZ1 but I have a friend who owned one prior to his R1, and he really has nothing but good things to say about that bike. It's a very respected bike in all the rags too.

I do own a Ninja 1000 though, and it has about 125 hp at the wheel compared to the FZ6r's 65. That translates to a lot more power in the real world, great acceleration, but I've read that top end speed on the Ninja is surprisingly only about 20 mph more than the FZ6r because of a speed governor.

Ergos are very similar, with the 1000 being slightly more comfortable than the 6r just because it's a bigger bike, and my legs aren't quite as scrunched up. Adjusting the seat to the higher position on the 6r helped somewhat. The adjustable windscreen on the 1000 is very nice, especially after replacing it with a Puig double bubble. I feel comfortable on the freeway with both bikes but the Ninja is my bike of choice for distance riding. I like the feeling of going 80 mph on the freeway at only 5,000 rpm and being able to squirt past cars if I need to.

Given that, the 6r is just more fun in the twisties. It's more responsive to counter steering, flicks easily from side to side compared to the Ninja. I was thinking that may have to do with the 160 rear tire on the 6r as compared to the 180 on the Ninja. I believe that's only part of the equation but for whatever reason, the 6r is more responsive to steering inputs.

Where the bikes differ quite a bit is in the suspension and brakes. The Ninja's are better. The stock 6r front suspension is nonadjustable and the overall suspension feels soft to me... I weigh 210 lbs. My 6r squats more on acceleration and has pretty noticeable fork drop when braking (as compared to the Ninja). The brakes on the 6r have more give than the Ninja - that's about all I can say. These items on the 6r weren't noticeable prior to owning the Ninja and are very correctable. In fact, my 6r is on the shop now having brake and suspension upgrades. The guys at the shop are experienced racers and very impressed with the 6r and think I may even like it better than the Ninja after these upgrades (we'll see!).

Price point: Well, the FZ6r is designed to be a great value and it is. 6r MSRP is $7,690 and MSRP for the 1000 is $11,190, $11,899 with ABS. Is the Ninja worth $4,000 more? Maybe if you enjoy some canyon carving but are more inclined toward touring as I am. The stock pipes on the Ninja are also super deep and growly, so what's that worth to ya? :D

Anyway, hope that helps some if you wind up choosing between the two bikes. There are certainly a lot more skilled and knowledgeable riders on this forum than me, but I've been meaning to write up my thoughts on the two bikes and so there you have one man's opinion. Roadrat out.

BoneJj

well, hell.... you guys make the decision even harder. I wasn't thinking of going liter bike until I took a look at the FZ1 but damn.... lol, now I am....

I liked how easy and comfortable the FZ1 was to ride, it was just a pleasure all around. The one thing that does concern me is that even in the first video the guy say that in a turn you kind of have to fight the bike with inside pressure compared to the FZ1 and the others. I experienced this quite a bit on my friends cbr600rr, you have to fight with that bike in a turn like a son of a gun, I really didn't care for that at all.... You can bang some gears on that thing though, red lines at 15k and it takes only seconds to hit 80...

I just don't want to deal with a bike that I have to fight, I would have to take a look at one in person and see if I could get a test ride as that's the only way I would know if I would enjoy the bike on a day to day basis. It has some tempting features to it but it's a hard choice to make. I'll have to see if I can find a way to get a ride on one.

The other concern is that it seems to be a new entry model, so no used options for this one, that's a bummer.....

roadrat

I just don't want to deal with a bike that I have to fight, I would have to take a look at one in person and see if I could get a test ride as that's the only way I would know if I would enjoy the bike on a day to day basis. It has some tempting features to it but it's a hard choice to make. I'll have to see if I can find a way to get a ride on one.

The other concern is that it seems to be a new entry model, so no used options for this one, that's a bummer.....
Ya if super responsive cornering is your thing, the Ninja 1000 is probably not your baby. It's designed to do everything well, but nothing extremely well.

Also, it's difficult to find used ones - it was introduced in 2011. We don't even have a forum yet, lol!