Heat?

dhenry101

How can you reduce the chance of burning your leg on a hot engine, as well as keep the seat cooler ? I live in Austin so it gets way to hot to wear riding gear like pants.

jammer

Too hot for gear too hot to ride imo.

LS6TT

I've toyed with several ideas that all look like crap or didn't work. I'm in north texas and yeah it gets too hot to ride due to the engine heat. Only reason I haven't gone naked yet.

Headlessmunky

To be completely honest, wear some jeans. Yes they are hot and it will suck too. Sweating is more fun than bleeding.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

adamo3957

How can you reduce the chance of burning your leg on a hot engine, as well as keep the seat cooler ? I live in Austin so it gets way to hot to wear riding gear like pants.
BS,

Average temperature around will be no where near as hot as that motor burning your leg.

Buy the right gear, ergo not jeans.

Im going to have to disagree with wearing Jeans. Regular jeans and other non-specific motorcle pants really won't do much in terms of protection. Like others have said get some good motorcycle specific pants. They will be cooler AND offer some protection. At the end of the day its a balance between comfort and protection. Mesh textile pants are the coolest yet offer the least protection(still way better than reg.jeans)

If you like the look of jeans while having some protection I'd look into a pair of Drayko Drift riding jeans. They have kevlar/dyneema to offer some abrasion resistance. I have them. I love them, but they are a bit warm in really hot& humid summer weather. I wear them for around town. For long rides/ more aggressive riding I wear my AGV Sport Willows Perf. leather pants. While hotter, they are more comfortable in the riding position.

I think a pair of the REV'IT airwave pants will be something that would be good in your situation. I would check out revzill.com REV'IT! Airwave Pants - RevZilla

At the end of the day Hot is Hot. I live in Long Island NY and the difference between my leather pants and Drayko jeans is not too much on a hot, muggy day. Like others have said, if it's too hot for gear, its too hot to ride.

Personally I'd invest in a tank-bag to throw a water bottle in and a power bar so I can still ride and take a quick water break when I need. Hope this helps.

PS. After re-reaing the post I think its more important to have a good pair of boots to keep heat away from your legs. These are the best boot for the buck IMO. They are great and flow a TON of air and have good protection. Cortech Latigo Air RR Boots: Cortech Latigo Air RR Boots - RevZilla

Last edited:

Chucker

I think if you're looking for someone to tell you what is the best way to ride in shorts, you may have come to the wrong place for advice.

Wear gear or don't ride.

latony007

well i agree with everyone else, shorts is not an option. I have been riding, in some pretty hot temps, in my jeans for a while but finally just bought Motorcycle Jeans with the knee armor and Kevlar weave. Pretty comfy, slightly hotter, but at least i can walk around in them when i get where im going. Also i dont thing there is any way to disipate the heat, at least we have no exhaust pipes to burn on :)

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

Bert-Aus

I ride all year in full leathers, when it gets hot (up around 45C/ 110F?) the best thing is to wet a bandana or sock and wrap around your neck!
It is like onboard ac

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

latony007

I ride all year in full leathers, when it gets hot (up around 45C/ 110F?) the best thing is to wet a bandana or sock and wrap around your neck!
It is like onboard ac

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
eeesh full leathers at 110 i would not make it. the wetting the jeans idea is interesting.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

Chucker

eeesh full leathers at 110 i would not make it. the wetting the jeans idea is interesting.
I've wet my jeans before, but I found it warm?

Bert-Aus

Dont forget to drink shit loads of water too!
At best I have lasted about an hour before needing to stop,
traffic stops SUCK $#@* though

adamo3957

Yes, Yes you would, Considering Bert and myself are in Oz and I can't speak for Bert, but where I am we can hit in excess of 110 F, and I'll still leather up.

But, if it's a bit much for you, my recommendation, Mesh Jacket, and mesh pants. And buy something other than black, it makes a difference.

For very hot days here (pushing 120 F) I'm wearing dririder air ride gear...

FastFreddy

I normally wear the Kevlar jeans and summer jacket in the heat. Most hot days I still get the wind chill once going above 45km/h, but a couple of days a year it feels like the wind is hot too.

I did have some Summer riding boots, which I wore out, but the new version of that shoe has reflective piping and big logos everywhere now, most of them look a too lairy for non-gays to me.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member