Healtech GiPro xtype gear indicator

bentz69

Didnt want this to be my first post but I wanted to get this information out there to anyone who wants to do this mod.

Just to let you know, the directions that come with this product have the wrong wire listed for the crankshaft sensor. Directions state to use the dark gray wire when in fact you need to use the LIGHT gray wire (almost white in color)

I have contacted Healtech about changing their directions so lets see what happens.

Use this wire for the crankshaft position sensor

On the other hand, the install was rather simple. Its essentially just plug and play and splicing 2 wires.

My quick instructions

There is only one 3 pole connector under the gas tank. This connecter is the speed sensor. Connect the Gipro in between the speed sensor.

Connect the black/green wire from the GiPro to the light grey wire on the crankshaft position sensor. This sensor comes right off the crank case. You can actually see this wire when looking at the side of the bike.

Connect the red wire from the GiPro to a 12v source (brake light, blinker etc)

Snake the wire loom through the frame and mount the led unit right on the dash and your good to go.

Follow the directions included with the unit on how to program it.

I wish I took more pics but this is what I have. Any questions please ask

killabee

It's funny.....I was actually looking at getting this 2 days ago but I don't know if I really want to pay $132 for it. How do you like it? Any lag when gear indicator changes? Did you get it for the same price?

bentz69

I like it. As a new rider I find it difficult to remember what gear Im in since I have not had enough time to compare rpms to mph yet to figure out my gear.

Yes I paid 132 for it through ebay and received it in 3 days. I have the blue led.

The response time is very quick. As soon as your shift is completed (clutch fully out) the correct gear is displayed.

The setup time is extremely fast also. Directions say you may need to hold each gear at 3-4k rpms for up to a minute while setting the unit up. In reality, it only took about 3 seconds for each gear.

richierich781

******Installation Update******

When connecting the power wire, the instruction said connect to a switched power source like the rear brake like switch (2 pole brown or black connector, Brown wire)

The instructions is wrong on which wire and the color of the connector.

The connector on my bike is white or natural (only two prong there is). If you follow the rear brake wires you will find it.

The instruction says use the brown wire. The brown wire is what activates the rear brake light and it is not powered until you hit the brakes. Use the yellow wire next to it, that is the hot power wire.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Fenixgoon

at first i really wanted a gear indicator.

now i just look at speed vs. RPM and know roughly what gear i'm.

1 ~ 5mph/1000rpm
2 ~ 6mph/1000rpm
3 ~ 7 or 8mph/1000rpm
4 ~ 8 or 9mph/1000rpm
5 ~ 10mph/1000rpm
6 ~ 12mph/1000rpm

it's not exact, but it's close enough for me to remember at least :)

EsrTek

Thank gosh for this post... I just got a GIPRO and they have NOT updated their instructions at all.
This thread made it get installed instead of thrown into the useless shit pile.

SurfJunkie

I personally don't think a gear indicator is needed on the FZ6R.
Not in the meat of the power band where you want it ? Down shift.
Revving the crap out of it ? Up shift.

Thats it. and 6th gear at 80 mph is 7K.( so you dont go looking for a 7th :p )

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

paulrever

Thank you bentz69 for this post, it was a great help to me for when I did mine.

Especially grateful for the wiring instruction for the crankshaft sensor wire, the light grey

wire worked for me.

p38wannabe

Thank you to the OP, install was a breeze today - no changes on the 13' model, same wires colors and location. Love the gear indicator!

latony007

Thank you to the OP, install was a breeze today - no changes on the 13' model, same wires colors and location. Love the gear indicator!

How long this take you and did you have to remove the tank?

p38wannabe

Not long at all, maybe 20 minutes start to finish. I did not remove the tank but just lifted it up by removing the 2 screws at the front and just loosen the one on the back. You can now lift it up and just brace it with a long screw driver while you make the connections per OP's instructions.

droppedbike

I'm having trouble finding the 3 prong speed sensor connector. I have my tank and fairings off and still can't find it. Any advice?

blkbrd

Elite Member