Harley Davidson "Death Wobble"

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

jammer

Had the death wobble in my Jeep once but never heard of it on a bike.

klawson

I had an '05 Road King. I experienced the "wobble" while going down
a hill about 80 mph and touched the brakes to slow down. It gave me
quite a scare. It went away when I got off the brakes and never came
back at a slower speed.

RoadTrip

Yeah, I read about it awhile back, apparently to blame for some crashes, but for the most part it is rare, probably because you have to ride above the speed limit for it to happen :D

FastFreddy

I've had the bars wobble on the FZ6R when I was going downhill without the hands on the bars sitting upright doing about 35-40km/h then hit a small stone, it stopped as soon as I put the hands back on the bars.

I'm presuming the wobble can be tuned (the speed it happens at and intensity) based on local frame stiffness, shocks, tyres, cog, rider position. Apparently side loads on the tyres start it.

There's a video of Murray Walker on youtube talking about it in the 70s. He basically says to scoot your head down and it stops. I can't remember if it affects heavier or lighter riders more.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvsDIq3WwVA"]Murray Walker talks about Wobble and Weave on Motorbikes - YouTube[/ame]

I tend to keep the hands on the bars at all times now, unless I get the urge to express myself with both arms ;)

Did Jeep address their wobble problems ? or was that for older models ?

Last edited: