Hard braking in cold weather, is this normal?

Osoreru

So I was on my way home from class tonight, and I was going about 15 mph while coming up to a stop sign, and had to brake kinda hard to avoid getting hit by another vehicle. I've hit the brakes like this before with no problem during warmer weather, but this time I fish-tailed and almost ended up sliding over (almost a mini high-side...I don't think I let my foot off the rear brake at all, but it's possible that I released it some without realizing it). Does braking normally act extremely differently when the tires are cold? I hadn't even gone 1/4 of a mile when this happened, and the tires were most definitely cold. It's about 40 degrees outside right now, and the first time I've ridden it in colder weather.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Sage

Did this earlier to avoid getting hit, not even a block from home. You just have to treat it like you're riding in the rain or on a sheet of ice until the tires warm up, even then you needa take it easy

DavidB455

Over in Scotland, its constantly near 10 degrees celsius in autumn and under 5 degrees over winter. Usual rule of thumb is to back off a lot, if it takes you 5 minutes more to get home, then who cares. Least your getting home and not picking your bike off the pavement. Be gentle, progressive braking, dont grab is the main thing.

See red

Also the brakes themselves will react different. They are colder so the initial bite feels like you need to push harder, it only takes a second for it to progressively warm up and react like reverse fade.

Brake early, leave yourself a bunch of extra space, and fucus!

rr_double_rr

Use more front brake rather than rear in colder weather. Still be cautious until the tires warm up, and always leave yourself extra space, but use more front. The weight shifting from rear to front will make it push into the pavement more and bite a little better.

Fizzer6R

maybe your brakes were wet? dew etc.... nice save! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Osoreru

maybe your brakes were wet? dew etc.... nice save! :thumbup:
This is actually very possible. We've had a lot of dew here recently. Always do this time of year.

To everybody else as well: Thanks for the great advice, it's always nice to learn how to keep myself safer in different conditions.