Hanging Off a Harley in Turn

brownwa

So today I was riding in the mountains and there was a Harley Sportster (an Iron 883 I think) following me through some very tight turns. I waived him by on a straight and saw the impossible... the dude took a 25mph turn at 50, on a cruiser that can only lean at 32 degrees.

He did it by hanging his *** clear off so that only his thigh was on the seat. His outside foot was clear off the peg, hugging the side of the bike. His inside leg was flush tight against the bike too, so not knee dragging. I could only describe it as *** dragging, because his damn rear was barely a foot off the ground. His t-shirt was flapping like a cape and he even hit a bump while doing this, but held the corner like a pro.

I almost had to pull over because I couldn't believe what I had seen, let alone a cruiser taking a corner on a mountain road like that. To take that corner at 40mph I have to lean my bike so that the chicken strips are only a half-inch wide. Full disclosure, I don't knee drag and only mildly shift my *** over. Lately I've been practicing "kissing my mirrors", which is a road-riding leaning technique that the Sonoma Racetrack instructors taught me.

Anyway, has anyone else seen this cruiser *** dragging technique? It was unbelievable and made knee dragging look amateurish (although I know it's challenging). Dude even flashed me a thumbs up before practically jumping off the seat to throw his *** onto the floor.

To picture it, imagine the guy in the below picture hanging his posterior so far off that it's a foot off the ground. But the bike is barely leaning 32 degrees.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

soapman99

Welcome to The Dragon. There are some serious riders there. Awesome to watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soapman99

I really miss this road. I lived close by for 4 yrs and slayed the Dragon with many different cars but no bikes. Beautiful run in Oct.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csmcmillion

I've dragged the frame of my metric cruiser to the point the rear wheel lifted and the whole bike pivoted around the contact point with the pavement. Before I got a sportbike, I read A Twist of the Wrist and started hanging off the cruiser pretty aggressively. Needless to say, it's murder on the quads to hang off a 650 lb cruiser with your feet forward of your body and sitting almost straight up. When I got a sportbike, it was shocking how much easier it was.

Motomama

I love that road you were on. Where is this beautiful twisties road? Thank you...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

brownwa

I love that road you were on. Where is this beautiful twisties road? Thank you...

Assuming you're asking me(?). I was on hwy 9 going NW from Saratoga to hwy 35. Dude was flying around 30 mph turns practically sitting side saddle. Hwy 35 is Skyline going to Alice's, if that makes things clearer.

Hwy 9 is a very nice ride... but I have seen at least 10 accidents on it this summer alone. Hwy 35 is saner, but then the squids do mad s*** like lane splitting with opposing traffic at 70 mph. Also there are police in the mix so bikers are always tapping their helmets to alert you. Alice's has all day breakfast though and a beauty pageant of expensive bikes in the parking lot, so it's worth the ride.

Motomama

Assuming you're asking me(?). I was on hwy 9 going NW from Saratoga to hwy 35. Dude was flying around 30 mph turns practically sitting side saddle. Hwy 35 is Skyline going to Alice's, if that makes things clearer.

Hwy 9 is a very nice ride... but I have seen at least 10 accidents on it this summer alone. Hwy 35 is saner, but then the squids do mad s*** like lane splitting with opposing traffic at 70 mph. Also there are police in the mix so bikers are always tapping their helmets to alert you. Alice's has all day breakfast though and a beauty pageant of expensive bikes in the parking lot, so it's worth the ride.
Thanks, but I was asking about HWY 129. I figured out from other YouTube videos that it was Tail of The Dragon. .

I m very familiar with HWY 9, skyline, 35, 84, Swanton, Gazo, Tunitias, Kings Mt. Rd., and etc. I ride these beautiful twisties weekly. See you up there sometimes...