Handlebar Cell Phone Mount?

Mudslinger

So, it gots me the thinking...since I carry my cell phone in my jacket pocket and cruise the highway alot, how can I make this more accessible?

How about a handlebar cell phone mount? I dont know that this exists yet, but there is tons! of space on the center section of the bars to mount something.

Personally I have a Blackberry, it does GPS and lots of other great things that due me no good in my pocket. So what I was thinking (being a machinist and all) was to make some small aluminum split clamps to wrap the center bar (with a material inlay so it wont scratch). Connect that to a flat base of some sort with either little hooks to hold the phone EXTREMELY secure or some kind of water proof cover (dont know much about the waterproof part sadly).

Any thots on this? Has it been done and I am years behind? Good idea/bad idea? Thots on better mounting, securing? Gimime it all! :)

Tks!

Funkmaxtor

1. This has been done before.
2. Using the phone while riding is definitely dangerous. I have a bluetooth headset for my helmet. I will answer the phone then pull over if I need to talk. Never talking and riding
3. If using for GPS features making your own gives you a great sense of satisfaction and gets you a device that is exactly what you want. I've done lots of CNC work myself and always love my products!

See: RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.

stroke

i have a cellphone holder made by body glove.. got it at wal mart its got a clear front so you can see your screen.. its got a velcro strap on the back thats long enough to go around the bars.. works perfect!! only 16 bucks!!

Mudslinger

i have a cellphone holder made by body glove.. got it at wal mart its got a clear front so you can see your screen.. its got a velcro strap on the back thats long enough to go around the bars.. works perfect!! only 16 bucks!!
Stroke, can you provide a picture of said phone holder? I go to walmart as little as possible, but this might save me some machine time (although I love to work with aluminum..)

Tks!