H4 headlight bulbs

joloy133

Overkill I suppose, I think a better bulb is enough, regarding light output. Don't like the aftermarket HID units some of the "custom" cars run, too bright/blinding, which is worse for motorcycles. There's a difference between being noticed vs annoying. Some of the HID lights aren't better in daytime IMO. If a bulb does the trick for the intended purpose then I have more capacity for fork mounted driving lights.

flyingminno

Well yea that is a point, but I disagree about it in the daytime. I've never gotten flashed by car drivers, as I made sure it was low enough. The HID is a lot more noticeable during the day, and I recommend it over halogen bulbs.

shocker35

ok whats the difference between the HID and the PIAA, they siggested a put a different bulb in at the dealership but which one is actually better seen and how easy are they both to install?

Tmak73

Kryptonbulbs HID kit will require some taking apart of the bike but its pretty much all plug and play and then just mounting a ballast.

joloy133

ok whats the difference between the HID and the PIAA, they siggested a put a different bulb in at the dealership but which one is actually better seen and how easy are they both to install?
Being seen regarding lights is a question of brightness, color, and movement. The HID option is brighter, with a higher K possibility (whiter, bluish white) color. The PIAA bulb is brighter and made better than stock, (quartz glass) , coatings, etc. (Movement is done with a modulator.)

joloy133

Just replaced the stock bulb for the PIAA unit. It is whiter and brighter than stock. On this afternoon, sun is out at 3:30, at 20 ft., it is approx. 1-1/2 times brighter, at 4000 Kelvin (Stock is yellow at 3000/3600 K), in my 55 yrs. eyesight. The beam is bounced off a white refrigerator so its easy to see the color difference. I don't know if that is really significant in daylight traffic, studies have shown that a yellow light is more noticeable without being brighter. Will test night time performance come dark this evening.

joloy133

Night time run in neighborhood, low beam gives better light and penetration 2X better than stock. At high beam even better, maybe 3X better, deeper field of vision and clearer as the whiter light is better for definition. Overall a measurable improvement over stock, especially at night.

Just took it on a longer night time ride including freeway and a short winding road, ( 9PM and dark, cold!). Change of opinion PIAA bulb is better than stock but: low beam = better contrast, range moderately better, high beam = better contrast, better range, twice better. If brightness is of major concern go with HID. (Will check and probably raise LB height.)

Last edited:

joloy133

Night time run in neighborhood, low beam gives better light and penetration 2X better than stock. At high beam even better, maybe 3X better, deeper field of vision and clearer as the whiter light is better for definition. Overall a measurable improvement over stock, especially at night.

Just took it on a longer night time ride including freeway and a short winding road, ( 9PM and dark, cold!). Change of opinion PIAA bulb is better than stock but: low beam = better contrast, range moderately better, high beam = better contrast, better range, twice better. If brightness is of major concern go with HID. (Will check and probably raise LB height.)
bump to repost

Wooster

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I wanted to get some input on these PIAA bulbs I've been looking at. I drive at night a lot and I'm looking for a cheap mod that will get me more light at night. I'm not looking to do the whole HID or Retro Fit thing. At least not yet. Just don't have the time to mess with a mod like that right now. I simply want to put in a bulb that will replace the stock bulb and be a little bit brighter.

I see three options that my local bike shop offers for our bike:
- Ion Crystal; Bulb Type: H4
- Super Plasma GT-X Anti-Vib; Bulb Type: H4
- Xtreme White Plus Anti-Vib; Bulb Type: H4

My question is, what the hell is the difference between these three? They are all piced at $50. I'd appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Last edited: