GYTR High Flow Air Filter

phantomxc

Anyone have this yet? I just ordered mine...%10 off and $15 gift certificate... I had to. Planning on receiving it tomorrow and installing it over the weekend but, going to be storming until atleast Wednesday.

What kind of power gains should I expect? 1-2 HP? I live in high altitude so I am suspecting the more airflow the better :)

MNDZA

I'm supposed to get mine by Monday along with some other goodies...can't wait.

phantomxc

I thought I would just let you know, if your installing this yourself it's going to suck. My bike is in pieces as the filter does NOT FIT!

I am positive it's the correct filter. Receipt is correct, box is correct, and the filter look correct. It looks like the tabs on the bottom just don't want to go in. Lines up perfectly everywhere...Any suggestions? I am going to go play with it some more but have a feeling it's not going in. The stock one goes in like butter....

phantomxc

Well I wrote this whole long post and apparently I took to long and it logged me out. To sum it up..

you can see the filter here ( http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/accessories/500/36p-e41d0-v0-00-500.jpg )

The bottom lip below the tabs started to curve in very so slightly. Just enough where you couldn't really notice it. I ended up bending it out with several different pliers. Took me another 10-15 minutes of being man handled until it actually went in.

Took it out for a spin after a quick rain storm and I thought it definitely sounded better. Same effect as a CAI for a car just not as deep. Throttle response was better and I thought there was more power at 4k + RPMs.

That's the short version, a little disappointed with the actual filter and it's quality. Pretty pricey, especially when it's warped. Yes I should of returned it but I am the least patient person and I couldn't wait.

C

CravenMoorhead

Knowing what you know now, would you recommend the change?

Did you check your MPG before you put in your new filter? I'd be curious to see some objective difference.

phantomxc

I don't think the mileage measurement would be accurate just because I have about 600 miles on my bike. I've read that it doesn't actually settle down until 1000 miles +.

I've only gotten to ride about 2 miles with the filter installed so I don't think I can comment on the filter itself yet. If you get a filter that isn't warp then I would definitely recommend it just for the sound! Install wouldn't be too bad if that was the case and you would learn something about your bike.

Since this is my first bike, I enjoyed taking it apart to really start to understand my bike. I plan on installing my exhaust as well :)

The difference between this filter and a K&N...I don't think the latter exist? Otherwise I think they would be exactly the same.

MNDZA

Is there any need to reprogram the ecu after putting this filter in? What about this combined with the TBR exhaust? I'm wondering because the dealer is installing the filter tomorrow with my first service and the exhaust is probably coming in a couple weeks.

cbzdel

Is there any need to reprogram the ecu after putting this filter in? What about this combined with the TBR exhaust? I'm wondering because the dealer is installing the filter tomorrow with my first service and the exhaust is probably coming in a couple weeks.
The computers usually do a decent job at re-mapping once mods have been done.. Just unhook the battery while you are installing the exhaust and it will force the computer to re-learn everything (or just leaving the battery unhooked for a few hours)

It wont be an all of a sudden fix though, unhooking the battery for a long time sets its back to factory default, so it will slowly re-map to what is needed, depending on hoe much you ride it may take a few days to get it perfect....

cbzdel

Any more reviews on this filter??

Now that K&N released a filter for the Arrr (sorry I have been calling it the pirate bike in my own little world) I will probably pick it up somewhere down the line. I am guessing the K&N is the same as the GYTR but K&N is a brand that I actually recognize and have trusted in the past.. Genuine Yamaha Technology Racing just sounds dyslexic to me lol..

phantomxc

looking at the picture it looks exactly the same just red instead of blue :) I agree with the name...sounds kinda retarded.

cbzdel

I work at Napa, I just ordered the YA6009 K&N filter for my Fz6R. I paid 36.07 with tax. Haha. Very nice.
is that a discounted price?

msgirle

Could you post a video with the sound so we could hear how it improved the quietness of the stock exhaust? Thanks!

cbzdel

I work at Napa, I just ordered the YA6009 K&N filter for my Fz6R. I paid 36.07 with tax. Haha. Very nice.

I just went to NAPA to order the K&N filter and they told me K&N will not allow them to sell motorcycle filters since they are listed as an auto parts re-seller!! :spank:

really?? :ban:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I just went to NAPA to order the K&N filter and they told me K&N will not allow them to sell motorcycle filters since they are listed as an auto parts re-seller!! :spank:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?!

:confused::confused:

euros4life

I went there and they told me the same thing!?!? Makes no sense to me.