Gutting my cat

jcbrown630

Self explanatory thread title. I intend to go forth and remove the internals to my converter. This thing is ridiculously HOT! The bike constantly runs @ 208degrees and the fan is always running even in the mornings sub 85 degree weather. It is my understanding that this is due primarily to the catalytic converter. Anyone got the 411 on gutting the cat? I have a mig so i can chop her off with a sawsall, gut , and then weld it back on.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Just a quick question before you go crazy...

Have you checked the coolant levels to make sure you have enough to keep the engine cool??

Besides, those temps aren't going to hurt anything. It just proves that the cooling system works.

jcbrown630

Just a quick question before you go crazy...

Have you checked the coolant levels to make sure you have enough to keep the engine cool??

Besides, those temps aren't going to hurt anything. It just proves that the cooling system works.
Well i just picked her up friday. I would assume that the stealership has the correct coolant level in it. Also the bike doesn't overheat at all. It's just alot hotter than any other bike i've ridden / owned. It's not bad when you come to a stop until the fan kicks on, then its like a blast furnace until you get rolling again. Also when sitting the heat coming of the converter / muffler assembly cooks my right leg / thigh.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Last edited:

jcbrown630

Well the intent is to not only reduce the temps of the motor, but also free up some power and a little sound. Hopefully she won't get too loud without the cat internals. I've heard reports that the converter is part of the reason for the higher temps.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

jcbrown630

:D
I think the engineers at Yamaha had a reason for running at these temps... not really sure why you'd want to change it too much (outside of the drops you might get with a different coolant). Anything below about 160-170 and I notice the bike doesn't run as smoothly, so 170-180 might be a good target if your looking for a little lower temp, I wouldn't want it much below that.

As to sound, check around here, someone just recently put up pics of the exhaust cut open, it might give you some hints/clues where to cut to get the sound you're looking for. Good luck and if you do it, take lots of pics for us!
That's exactly what i'm shooting for is the 175-190 degree range. You know, Normal bike temps. Obviously any bike sitting still is not happy. My SV650 would climb to 220 occasionally when sitting still in the summer, but slowly. much more slowly than the FZ does. I'll take lots of pics . I've already ordered my R6 headers so even if i F%CK up on this i'm not stuck too long.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

owldaddy

According to the service manual, the thermostat isn't fully open till the temp reaches 185F. I don't see a problem with the temp getting 212F. That seems to be normal. I wouldn't screw with it to much, these engines are designed to run in this temp range. Messing with anything that effects the ECU/FI isn't a good idea.

jcbrown630

DID YOU KNOW THAT SOME CARS THE FAN DOES NOT COME ON TILL 224 :rant:
and?????

Your statement while factually correct has nothing at all to do with this thread. I'm removing the internals of the cat to relieve the heat that I have to deal with, more than anything to do with cooling the bike's OT. It is impossible to reduce the temperature on the engine too far, as the thermostat will close to maintain proper temperatures.:rant:

Y

yellowfz

The CAT is not that easy to gut on these things , I posted up some shots of the exhaust cut open , the CAT is made of some kind of metal , I tried piercing it but was not successful .
More than one way to skin a CAT ;-) , you have to remove the the exhaust can or get a set of R6 headers , if you remove the exhaust can it removes the CAT as well , either way , header , exhaust can removal , will need some welding and fabricating .
Just uploaded pictures to my Gallery , easier to find there .

Last edited by a moderator:

jcbrown630

The CAT is not that easy to gut on these things , I posted up some shots of the exhaust cut open , the CAT is made of some kind of metal , I tried piercing it but was not successful .
More than one way to skin a CAT ;-) , you have to remove the the exhaust can or get a set of R6 headers , if you remove the exhaust can it removes the CAT as well , either way , header , exhaust can removal , will need some welding and fabricating .
Yep, that's why I will be using every utensil at my disposal in my fully stocked garage. MIG welder, Drills, Sawsalls, BFH, Chisels prybars, harsh language. etc etc.

My complaint is not that the bike hits 212. It regularly gets there and sits there. It doesn't rise and then fall back quick. it hangs at 208 constantly which is just not comfortable when you come to a stop and have the blast furnace blowing on you from the rad fans, and the radiant heat of the converter / exhaust can coming up the right side of your thigh and butt cheek.

Y

yellowfz

Yep, that's why I will be using every utensil at my disposal in my fully stocked garage. MIG welder, Drills, Sawsalls, BFH, Chisels prybars, harsh language. etc etc.

My complaint is not that the bike hits 212. It regularly gets there and sits there. It doesn't rise and then fall back quick. it hangs at 208 constantly which is just not comfortable when you come to a stop and have the blast furnace blowing on you from the rad fans, and the radiant heat of the converter / exhaust can coming up the right side of your thigh and butt cheek.
Yep since I did my exhaust mod it is a little cooler from the exhaust aspect , I'm with you though the bike gets pretty hot at the rad , 212* , 220* or more .

Last edited by a moderator:

jcbrown630

Also as posted earlier i have my 2002 R6 headers on their way. Ordered today. $19 + 23.82 shipping. :wav::steve:

Would be cool if i could run those to the stock can. Should sound good with an empty cat, and still look stock while lowering the backpressure at the exhaust ports with the headers.

DragonBlu

"Well i just picked her up friday. I would assume that the stealership has the correct coolant level in it. Also the bike doesn't overheat at all. It's just alot hotter than any other bike i've ridden / owned. It's not bad when you come to a stop until the fan kicks on, then its like a blast furnace until you get rolling again. Also when sitting the heat coming of the converter / muffler assembly cooks my right leg / thigh."

I think this bike is very comfortable at temps up to 90 degrees on the days I've rode it. The last bike I had was like sitting on a run away woodstove at any outside temp above 70 degrees. That's just my take on it.:)

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I suppose if you don't like the heat blowing on you, you could always run the fans backwards so that they draw the hot air out the front of the bike rather than blowing towards the back of the bike. :rolleyes:

stuna

and?????

Your statement while factually correct has nothing at all to do with this thread. I'm removing the internals of the cat to relieve the heat that I have to deal with, more than anything to do with cooling the bike's OT. It is impossible to reduce the temperature on the engine too far, as the thermostat will close to maintain proper temperatures.:rant:
THERE WHINING AT 212 . CARS GET HOTTER, THAT'S THE POINT
IF 212 IS HOT , WHAT IS THAT HARLEY DOING :eek: