Got Rear Ended

coondog64

So I was pulling up to an intersection where the light was turning red, thus I stopped. A few seconds later I was being pushed forward, it was so surreal. I was like why am I going forward, oh a car must be pushing me.

The worst part is I just got my bike (2009 White FZ6R) 3 weeks ago and only had 350 miles on it :(. The guy admitted that he saw me but approaching the intersection but must have looked away and assumed I had gone through it. He was cited for following too closely. Now it time to deal with insurance, joy.

Oh and I found out the AAA doesn't tow motorcycles. What good are they? I had a ridiculous time getting a tow back to Boston (I was about an hour outside the city where the accident happened). I would have drive home but the rim was bent and I figured in terms of insurance it would be easier to have it towed. That why every scratch on the bike can be considered part of the accident and not something I did on the way back home.

I wonder if they will consider the bike totaled. 50% of kelly blue book is abotu $2500. I could easily see with parts and labor it being around that. Plus its unknown if there was unseen damage to the frame.

It appears that I am ok as of right now. Thankfully. As a biker passing by who stopped told me, "Welcome to the world of motorcycling!".

Attachments

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

2w05thletes

Becoming a member of AMA will also get you free towing. Lots of benefits.

coondog64

I may just look into AMA!

Yes now would be a great time to upgrade. But lets just see what the insurance decides. I think the guy hit me at 15 mph. Im really concerned there was damage to the frame that cant be seen. I want to be 100% sure that after the bike is fixed that it's safe. If its not, I want nothing to do with it.

CDN6R

Very sorry to hear of you little "push!". you were lucky he didn't push you to the middle of the intersection and get smucked by another car! The bike can be repaired,and yes get that frame checked out. Your like me,,if it wasn't for bad luck you would have no luck at all! Laurie P.

72racer

Elite Member

creggur

Becoming a member of AMA will also get you free towing. Lots of benefits.
+1

The right level of AMA membership gets you towed...No fuss, no muss... And you get a cool magazine every month to boot.:thumbup:

And I'm glad you're ok! The bike can be fixed or replaced - you in one piece is the most important thing!

D

Deleted member 9794

Hey sorry about your bike but out of curiosity I've got a question:

Do you remember if you were holding/pressing the brake and/or holding the clutch while in first, or were you in neutral? I'm curious because you didn't mention any injuries to yourself so I figure you've either got really good balance when being caught off guard or you were holding on to that front brake for dear life.

I'm assuming if you would've been in neutral and not holding the brake you would've rolled into the intersection and maybe your rear rim would not have been bent up?

I guess I'm trying to learn from your experience and try to avoid going through the same thing :)

90% of the time I stay in first and just pull in the clutch at stops in case I notice someone coming up fast or just need to take off quickly but in the MSF book they seemed to lean more toward being in neutral (I say book because the instructors said stay in first in any of the drills when coming to a stop).

creggur

Do you remember if you were holding/pressing the brake and/or holding the clutch while in first, or were you in neutral? I'm curious because you didn't mention any injuries to yourself so I figure you've either got really good balance when being caught off guard or you were holding on to that front brake for dear life.

I'm assuming if you would've been in neutral and not holding the brake you would've rolled into the intersection and maybe your rear rim would not have been bent up?

I guess I'm trying to learn from your experience and try to avoid going through the same thing :)

90% of the time I stay in first and just pull in the clutch at stops in case I notice someone coming up fast or just need to take off quickly but in the MSF book they seemed to lean more toward being in neutral (I say book because the instructors said stay in first in any of the drills when coming to a stop).
The right thing to do, IMHO, is to stay in first with your left foot on the ground ready to go if need-be. I'll usually do this until a car stops behind me, then go to neutral and relax if I think I'm going to be at the light for a while... YMMV...

jay

thats awefull!! .. i am sorry to see this happened to your brand new bike!!
i think i have towing standard with my foremost insurance.. also i believe insurance would not total the bike if the damage repairs costs stays under/equals 75% of kbb value.. not 50% of the value.
whats good and could save 6r from getting totalled is that frame costs just about $700. instead of $1400. aluminum frames on other bikes, plus rim and other included.. replacing just the frame would take anywhere about 10 to 14 hrs so thats $85 to $95/hr, they should be able to pay for the repairs, try getting repair quotes from couple of places. Above all cager's insurance would take care of this so you shd be ok.. but it totally sucks.. glad ur ok, good luck.

D

Deleted member 9794

The right thing to do, IMHO, is to stay in first with your left foot on the ground ready to go if need-be. I'll usually do this until a car stops behind me, then go to neutral and relax if I think I'm going to be at the light for a while... YMMV...

:thumbup: Yep, this is what I usually do and I leave my right foot on the rear brake so the brake light stays on and sometimes I pump it to make it flash.

coondog64

Honestly it all happened so fast I am not sure. I know I was not in neutral, but first. I def then had the clutch pulled in. I usually keep my front or rear brake on, so the brake light stays illuminated. Otherwise you are right, I probably would have been push further (not that I wasn't pushed enough!).

Yea insurance is going to cover it. I don't care about labor costs. Its going back to the dealer where I bought it from. They are good guys down there. I will be angry if the claim adjuster doesn't agree with their estimate :mad:.

creggur

:thumbup: Yep, this is what I usually do and I leave my right foot on the rear brake so the brake light stays on and sometimes I pump it to make it flash.
Thought I was the only one who did the 'flashing brake light' thing. I'll flash mine when I'm at a stop light or stop sign and see a car coming up behind. I don't relax (and stay ready to bolt) until they completely stop...

coondog64

Thought I was the only one who did the 'flashing brake light' thing. I'll flash mine when I'm at a stop light or stop sign and see a car coming up behind. I don't relax (and stay ready to bolt) until they completely stop...
Well I wasn't flashing but yea its a good idea now that you mention it. Ill be honest too, I haven't been doing a good job looking in rear view mirrors when stopping to make sure someone isn't barreling down the road behind me. I will now.

DanielW0830

tail light flashers

I installed the electropods.
(Flashing very bright leds)
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TK8MYC/ref=oss_product]Amazon.com: ElectroPods Flashing Red LED Motorcycle Brake Lights - Black Casing: Automotive[/ame]

Here's a photo of them installed.

Attachments

Steve843

Sorry to hear about the incident. "Accident" just doesn't cover it. If only people would pay more attention when they were driving...

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Detrich

Ack! Sorry to hear about this coon. =( But good to know u r ok. =)

I think ur bike will be fixed in about a week or so once the adjuster looks at it... Make sure they run a high speed rear wheel test to make sure it's 100%. Also double check that ur rear brake light engages too- it's something they might miss.

AAA does have motorcycle & RV towing/ transport- but u need to add it to ur plan. Is an extra $20 or $25 per year I think. I just added it to my AAA plan recently & they'll mail u a new card that's labelled with motorcycle & RV on the card... Well worth it for the peace of mind Imo...

Hope u dont let this dampen ur spirits. Its great to hear that u r ok & hope u get the bike fixed soon & r back on the road! =)

Ride safely everyone!

coondog64

Well initial estimates are ~3300 to fix. Doesn't appear to have any frame damage. Well see if the insurance decides to cut their losses....