Good read

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Chucker

I think this is why a lot of trackday riders stop riding on the street. I have considered it myself. Not because I think the street is too dangerous, but because I cannot bring myself to push it on the street to the same degree I'll push it at the track, or to the extent I did when I was 20. Riding on the street just isn't as fun now that I've had multiple days at the track. I used to ride an hour to get to the few twisties closest to my home, but I now find it's not worth the ride as the chances are that I will arrive and there will either be a lot of traffic or there will be cops or hazards on the road. What I did when I was 20 now seems idiotic, yet I'm now a much better rider because of a race school and many days at the track, AND the track is a hell of a lot more fun than I ever experienced on the roads when I was 20.

RoadTrip

I have only ridden street, but I have heard same as Chucker that once you move closer to the limit on the track then the street is no longer as fun. That is partly why I have yet to go to the track.

However, since I haven't experienced the track, I will give my thoughts on pure street riding. I started 3.5 years ago and have about 36K sport riding. I was afraid at one point I would plateau and get bored with street riding, however I continue to learn and inch up on 'limits'. Street riding is about managing all the risks, finding the right spots, and decision making in regards to passing, road conditions, blind spots, etc.

It is a time away from work where you are totally consumed with the activity cause you brain is highly focused on the task at hand. You experience a similar 'flow' as other sports such as mountain biking, it flushes out your brain and you feel refreshed after a good session. You have to maintain control of yourself, listen very closely to traction and lean angle, remain within your known personally developed skillset, and constantly evaluate potential hazards - the beauty part is a relaxed, Zen like execution of skill and risk management.

Finally, I agree with the OP, a lot does depend on how much you have to lose, the rewards might be bigger with pushing closer to the limit, but if you can find satisfaction in riding at a more cautious pace and enjoy the nuances, I believe street riding can satisfy long term.

Fizzer6R

before the track, I rode only on the street for years w/some very fast guys. I was always mid-pack, and whenever I even tried to keep up I knew I was pushing too hard. the track guys said the same, once you do a track day you'll never be the same, and it's true, but not the same way for everyone.

for me, since the track opened my eyes, I haven't lost fun street riding. it does make you realize how dangerous all the distractions are.

all I can say is regardless of your opinion on either, you really do owe it to yourself to sample the track at least once, you really will be a much better overall rider for it. if you think you're aware of your surroundings now on the street, you have no idea. on the track you immediately remove all the public objects to worry about, and are able to concentrate on turning, braking points, body position etc. when I hit the road again it felt like my eyes/brain took off blinders and was amazed how much more quickly I saw all the dangers, feeling like my reaction time was increased ten times

latony007

i would love to try the track someday. There is one not to far away, im trying to get my brother to take his M3 out there.

Anyway i agree 100% about the how much you have to lose. Whenever i start to go a little to fast or get carried away i think of my 9 year old girl and that slows me down. As much as i like to go fast on occasion its more about getting out, away from everyone and being at peace for me anyway.

Honestly there have been several occasions where i thought to myself if i had this bike at 20 i would have wrecked it for sure and most likely myself along with it.

Last edited:

Bert-Aus

Before riding trackdays I thought I was quick through the hills.
Once I did my first track day that thought evaporated.

Having done 5 trackdays & come out of a accident that was cm's from taking my life; I have come to terms with my addiction to speed.

On the street & hills enjoy it for what it is, but remember that can be all taken away in an instant should you ask too much of yourself, your bike, the road or traffic around you.

The track (when/if I get back there) is where testing of yourself & your bike should remain.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

buzzbomb

Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Bert-Aus

Somehow I managed to erase part of it. It's also one of my most poorly written. I can't remember what the rest was now. I think I may just scrub the whole post since it reads poorly as is.
It did read VERY out of character from you,
Not to worry, we all have our evil moments:p

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member