Good Idea??? or Would you do this?

CDN6R

Years ago(1986) I had a new GSXR 750 and the wheels were black. I had them powder coated white and they looked great. I came across this video and wondered is this a good idea? Would you guys recomend this? I being old school do not know... thoughts??? Thanks. Laurie.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7wErNQuj3M&feature=channel&list=UL]How to Plasti Dip Motorcycle Rims - YouTube[/ame]

alh081

a lot of ppl have been doing plastic dipping lately. it seems like it would work fine. I used to spray paint but if i was to do it again, i'd probably use plastic dip.

alh081

lookie

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlHqptWAV5Q]Plasti Dip Motorcycle - YouTube[/ame]

alh081

wanted to say thanks CDN6R! after reading this post i looked up some plasti dip stuff online and found they made an ORANGE color. I bought 4 cans and will be doing my brother-in-laws rims!!

Michael Wilson

Hmm.... never tried plasti dip.... I'm thinkin white on my bike? ;)

Fizzer6R

wow a 86 GSXR 750 - it's the bike that basically changed everything for sportbikes right?

meganiimarie

My google-fu is apparently weak today. Do you guys think rim stripes would stick to the plasti dip?

Every time I saw someone pose the question in other forums there was no an answer to follow :confused: I'm wondering if maybe putting them inbetween a few layers of the glossifier might help hold them on.

I told myself I was done for a while after the TBR, but after looking at photos I feel like I might not be able to resist white wheels with pink rim stripes...

travisH3

Plasti dip is awesome and I highly suggest it to try out a color on something before going with paint or powder coat. A can of black is 5.99 at my local home depot and a can will do a front and rear bumper of an f150. My buddy has a white f150 with the tan two tone. We taped off everything that was tan last fall and hit it with 4-5 coats(the thicker you put it on, the easier it is to peel off in one piece down the road) and 9 months later it looks like we did it yesterday. I did the rims on my quad and it turned out great. I seen a thread on here that someone did their handle bars, that's prolly what I will do next.

I'm not sure if wheel stripes will stick to it. The surface is like a semi gloss to a flat black and the little bumps may not let it stick well. I can try a sticker on his truck and let it sit for a day or so and see how it does.

meganiimarie

That would be much appreciated. I've never played with the stuff at all so I would just be guessing based on what I was able to read online. Here's to hoping that it sticks...

I'm not sure if wheel stripes will stick to it. The surface is like a semi gloss to a flat black and the little bumps may not let it stick well. I can try a sticker on his truck and let it sit for a day or so and see how it does.

jponza

I will be doing this during winter, along with a good portion of other mods that require the fairings to come off(flushies,HID)

CDN6R

wow a 86 GSXR 750 - it's the bike that basically changed everything for sportbikes right?
Yeah you got that right. Introduced in 1985 it was the FIRST sport bike for the masses with an aluminum frame and over 100 HP. Yamaha had the FZ750 but it was sold in Canada only in 1985 not in the U.S.A.

CDN6R

a lot of ppl have been doing plastic dipping lately. it seems like it would work fine. I used to spray paint but if i was to do it again, i'd probably use plastic dip.
I have a couple of conserns about this stuff. When the tires are changed on you bike,, and since the author of the video says it will peel off,,,would it peel off during the tire changing process?? Also I see where he painted the wheel weight too..so with a new tire comes a new wheel weight sooooo,,again a peeling issue??? It is an interesting concept. Thoughts anyone?? Laurie.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member