Get-off @ ~75MPH

TssTssTss

Apologies for the excessive length of this post, but here we go...

First, a little background:

Got my bike back in August 2012, Pearl White with 3 miles on the clock. I had taken the MSF course about a year prior, but otherwise had zero experience with motorcycles.

Fast forward to last Tuesday (Feb 18, 2014).

The odometer reads just shy of 24.5k miles. Beautiful day, despite the fact that I was due in court for a speeding ticket that morning. Plead not guilty after waiting for what seemed like an eternity, quickly left the East County courthouse, and was on the way to work by 10:15 AM.

Stopped for gas, and then hit SR-67 North, destined for Poway.

Totally uneventful ride through Lakeside/Santee. Extremely light traffic, sunny, cool but not cold...

Soon I was approaching the San Vicente Dam and, in typical fashion, began gearing up to have a little fun going up the hill on SR-67 NB.

Those of you local to San Diego probably are at least familiar with this route - I've taken it more times than I care to remember. It's a fun, easy set of turns. Good road surface, turns are banked just so.

Here's a map of the scene with some super-deluxe annotations made by yours truly:

Anyway, as I start up the first turn and having made sure the coast was clear, I go WOT in 5th, intending to blow off a bit of steam before getting to work.

I quickly accelerated to approx. 75 MPH, a very comfortable speed for me on this section of road.

As I round the bend, I see, much to my dismay, the unmistakable black-and-white top half of a patrol car.

Like one of Pavlov's dogs, I immediately do what I've been conditioned to - hit the brakes. Well, more like brake, as I almost never use the rear one, and I am 99% sure that I did not in this case as well.

Next thing I know, the bike is out of my control. I have a distinct recollection of suddenly going from a moderate lean angle to upright, and feeling like the handlebars violently twisted out of my grasp.

Next thing I know, I'm on the ground, and time has suddenly slowed to a crawl.

So cliche, but it was amazing how much time I had to think about what was happening.

I remember first being oriented so that I was face up and looking slightly to the north, with a brief glimpse of my bike a good distance in front of me.

Next, I was face down, and clearly remember scraping the shield of my Shoei RF-1100 on the asphalt.

It really did seem like I was sliding forever.

Having my wits about me despite all of what was happening, I immediately recalled having read on this very forum about the danger of trying to stand up before coming to a complete stop. And at about the halfway point in my slide, I actually felt like I was just about stopped, but resisted the temptation to do anything but wait for my forward motion to cease.

Which it finally did.

First thing I noticed upon sitting up in the shoulder was how much the tips of my gloved fingers hurt. A very sharp, localized pain that was unlike anything I've ever encountered.

Within seconds, the patrol car that caused my idiotic braking maneuver was on the scene. Turned out to be a deputy sheriff - I wish I knew his name so I could give him credit for being such an outstanding officer.

After blocking my location from potential oncoming traffic, he quickly jumped out of his squad car. He looked about as dumbfounded as I did, with a big "OMG WTF" grin on his face as he approached.

As one might expect, his first question was "Are you OK?"

I was panting a bit, but managed to confirm that I was OK, though I don't think he was convinced. He asked me a couple more times if I was sure I was OK, and by now, I had removed my gloves and helmet, which likely reassured him that I wasn't in terrible shape.

Looking north up the highway, I see my bike, about 150 - 200 feet away, almost dead center in the roadway. The deputy lets me know that CHP and EMT are en route, and that he is going to go get my bike out of the road. Oddly, I eagerly offer my assistance in righting the bike and moving it to the shoulder. The deputy laughs and tells me to just sit tight, which I did.

CHP arrives within 5 minutes and one of those white pickup trucks belonging to the fire department (supervisor?) arrives very shortly thereafter.

Typical CHP guy - very professional, but very emotionless. Asks me the standard questions: "Are you OK? What happened?"

The fire department official asks the same, and by now, the deputy has righted the bike, and moved it to the shoulder.

CHP asks the deputy what happened, to which he replies something like, "Not really sure! I was coming out of that driveway and I see this guy and his bike on the ground! Looked like he was going about 60 MPH on the ground!"

Not sure how much training LEOs get in estimating the speed of sliding objects, but I think he was probably pretty damn close.

CHP wants to see my registration/insurance, which I keep under the rear seat. So we all take the uphill stroll to the bike, I fetch my paperwork, and the EMTs are on the scene in no time.

EMTs were all great - as friendly as could be and not at all judgmental or condescending. They seem as flabbergasted as the rest of the others on scene that I am standing there talking to them almost as if nothing had happened. One of them pointed out the massive scrape across the right hand side of my helmet shield and I heard a couple of expletives about how lucky I was.

A cursory check of my upper body reveals nothing of concern, after which my BP and pulse were taken (130/?? pulse ~80). Then a couple of questions to evaluate my coherence, which actually took me a bit by surprise. The EMT receives a puzzled look to his question, "Where are you?" I quickly realize that he is checking for signs of a concussion, so I respond with "Northbound 67, on the way to work in Poway, it's somewhere between 10:00 and 10:30 AM."

More CHP units arrive, though we were clearly code 4 at this point. Must've been a slow day.

The pain in my finger tips has mostly subsided by now, and the pain was now focused in my left knee. I sure wish I hadn't procrastinated buying a pair of overpants as I looked down at my tattered jeans.

EMT suggests a trip in the ambulance, which I firmly decline. So they, the deputy, and the firefighters all leave.

A new CHP officer was asking me again to tell him what happened, and I just played it dumb. I said that I was riding up the hill at ~60 MPH and the next thing I knew, I was on the ground. Though it was plain as day, I didn't think that "I was riding a bit aggressively and saw a police car, which caused me to brake without thinking, thus separating me from the bike" was the best answer.

The officer seemed satisfied with this, and hands me a small slip of paper entitled "Accident Report."

At this point, the only thing left to do was determine what *I* was going to do. Did I want to try and ride away from the scene? Was that even possible? Did I need a tow? A ride?

Bike was in unbelievably good shape considering what had just transpired. The right foot peg looked like it had been pinned against its mounting bracket, and the rear brake pedal was pushed toward the engine, but not enough to touch. The Yamaha frame slider was still attached to the bike, though it now pointed skyward, and was sheared almost in half. Same with the T-Rex spool slider.

No damage at all on the left of the bike, and minor damage to the following on the right:

- Bar end barely scraped.

- Mirror barely scraped.

- Fairing scraped in a couple of spots - very minor.

- Front turn signal scraped significantly.

- Crankcase cover significantly scraped on bottom half.

- Peg scraped on bottom - the little "ball" at the end of it was now about the size and shape of a dime.

I'll add pictures later - this is turning out to be an excessively long post as it is!

So, considering the light damage, I decide to say "eff it" and try to ride off. The front brake felt a bit odd, but I think that was due to adrenaline and some residual discomfort in my hand. After making sure that the bike held with the brake applied, I press the ignition button, half expecting to hear some awful grinding sound. Yawn, the bike starts up instantly, perfectly.

The deputy had left it in neutral for me, so I turn to the three or four remaining CHP on scene, and with a "well, guys," I shift into first and am now headed towards work.

A painful, though uneventful, ride ends about 15 minutes later in the parking lot at work. The gorgeous front desk girl asks me about something, don't remember what, and next thing I know I am relaying my story to more people than I cared to at that point.

I quickly abscond work, determined not to let an accident of this "magnitude" go to waste, and am back home in Chula Vista within an hour.

Since this post has already gone on far too long, I'll finish the story here.

I do have some questions, however.

1) Front braking in a turn will typically cause a lowside crash, correct? Having never crashed, I don't know what I expected, but I thought for sure that it would've been a bit more "gradual," and that I would have felt the sensation of laying the bike down, for lack of a better expression.

Problem is, what happened with anything but "gradual." As I mentioned earlier, it was very sudden and violent.

2) If I did indeed lowside, shouldn't I have expected to have been with the bike for a period of time on the ground? It felt like the bike was almost instantly on a divergent path, well ahead of me.

3) Again, if this was a lowside, shouldn't I have sustained injury to my right half? My left knee was the worst off, my jacket was almost exclusively damaged on the left, my backpack was almost exclusively damaged on the left, my left pinky hurt and there was an impact mark beneath the shield on my helmet on the left. I can't fathom how this could be. (Pictures coming soon).

4) Am I incredibly lucky?

If you made it this far, thanks for reading my ramblings and any input/criticism/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

DarkWing

Glad to hear you are alright!! Sounds like crazy stuff happened all at once. All I can think happen is you dumped yourself off the bike like riding a crazy horse on the left and the bikes inertia kept it up after you fell off and then landed on the right.

My crash was quick, but i felt the rear tire slip and knew i wasnt coming up, but i kinda gradually set down the bike and then let it go sliding. What i dont really understand is the inside left knee of my leathers is messed up, when it should be on the outside of my left. I've crashed enough bikes (not motos) and quads to take the fall, kept my head off the ground, no helmet contact or whiplash. And i rolled. I do think i remember trying to stop my roll, which is where the abrasion on my leathers is from i think. I was going about 20ish coming out of a turn.

Fizzer6R

yes #4 incredibly lucky! anytime you can walk away with minimal damage from a get off, people crash at half your speed with more... :eek:

bmw675

First, Glad you are ok.

About breaking in a turn, you can carry it into the turn, but it's best not to start breaking in a turn. It'll do exactly like described. Overload the front, twist in hands, and slide out.

Just because you lowsided, doesn't mean you'll stay with your bike, or that it will land on you. In fact, I'd hope once you go down, you'll let go. It's very easy for you and the bike to go in different directions because the momentum of the bike was changed when you hit the breaks but your body was still going a different way.

(Oh, and I did read it all. :p)

TssTssTss

All excellent points, and thanks for the well wishes.

I knew that braking in the turn like I did is verboten - but conditioned response is a mofo, and I couldn't help myself.

Was glad to have on all gear other than pants - if I'd been wearing a pair of overpants, etc, I reckon I would be entirely unscathed.

Hats off to SIDI, Shoei, and Cortech for keeping me in as close to one piece as possible.

I doubt that this applies in this case, but for as long as I can remember, I've had a strange knack for being able to dismount a bicycle when a crash was imminent, even at decent speeds (like 15 MPH or so). I am doubtful because it happened so quickly that I can't remember what route I took to go from the seat to the pavement.

Took the bike out for a spin to Walmart for a cold compress last night, and the bike still seems good as new. It tracks perfectly, doesn't make any alarming sounds, and rides like it did since day one.

The only thing I have taken away from this experience at this point:

If I am going to ride aggressively I need to be 100% committed. I absolutely must accept the risk of getting cited and never, ever, panic brake when I see a squad car on the side of the road. Just finish the turn, hope that the cop was looking elsewhere, and stay rubber-side down.

Ironically, the deputy wasn't even doing speed enforcement - he just happened to be in that driveway at exactly the wrong time.

And no, I did not receive any citation for my misadventures.

Once again, thanks for the feedback - it's been cathartic to tell my story.

P.S. I know I could UTFSE, but anyone know if Yamaha Pearl White is available as touch-up paint?

P.P.S. Any thoughts on the strange numbness in my finger tips? I found this especially odd...

Last edited:

bmw675

Couple more things. If your helmet it scuffed up, I think u said it was, toss it. The structural integrity is gone. Loosen the bolts on your lower triple tree, and wiggle the bars a little. You might hear a creaking noise, but this helps make sure the forks aren't twisted in the clamps.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Bert-Aus

Auto-Paint shops should be able to mix a matchup, if not pretty close to it.

Your finger tips could be nerve impingement from clawing at the road during your slide.
You may have hit the road claw down causing a fair shock to your fingers.
In Aus there are billboards advertising the neccesity for gloves, with images of hand injuries from not wearing any on motos.

BTW glad you & your bike got out of that lightly

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

VRIIClubby

very VERY lucky man! As we say here in Aus, you should go and buy yourself lotto ticket!

great advertisement for wearing the good gear!

I had a lowslide from grabbing to much front brake in an emergency situation (was in some deep gravel at speed and was going ok but spotted the rider that was in front of me rolling around in the bushes, thus I grabbed too much front in shear panic and presto! bars wobbling and me up and off the bike and belly sliding down the road, I was however not going anywhere near the speeds you mentioned and the road I was on was very very course and trashed my gear! (but testament to the gear I purchased exactly the same stuff straight away except for upgrading my gloves!

You getting sorer as the hours/day passed?

CrazyCawi

my thought is you started a low side but the bike caught itself on the ground or possibly the inertia the gyro sphere of the tires in rotation cause the bike to go upright as it flicked you off the left side of the bike.

Rawknrohl

my thought is you started a low side but the bike caught itself on the ground or possibly the inertia the gyro sphere of the tires in rotation cause the bike to go upright as it flicked you off the left side of the bike.
That was my thought, as well.

My reaction to seeing a cop when I'm going too fast is just to close the throttle, bikes drop speed pretty fast when you close the throttle and leave it in gear, it probably sounds stupid but I've always done that because I feel like slamming on the brakes is like saying yeah, I was speeding, I didn't think you would be hiding there, Mr. Officer. So I just do that and play dumb if I get pulled over. The only time I've ever been pulled over on my bike was last summer going around 20-25 mph over the limit and passed a State Trooper at the crest of a hill. He pulled me over and asked why I was going so fast. I looked down at my bike, then looked back at him and said, "wouldn't you?". He laughed and told me to slow down. No ticket!!

Either way... Don't crash to avoid a ticket, people die that way... I've grown fond of you guys, so try to stay alive. :D

ej'sfz

Glad it turned out with minimal damage man... I live in ramona so I take the 67 whenever I dont take wildcat canyon... and I can say you're definitely not rhe first person to wreck on that corner... matter of fact just the other day there was a two car wreck right in the middle of that first turn heading up the hill... might have even had some left over coolant or oil from the wreck which might not have helped you're case either... define got lucky on this one though people in car take that inside corner stupid fast, could have ended up real bad and in a hurry

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

bleedinblue

Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

FastFreddy

I'm glad you aren't too hurt and the bike isn't too bad either.

Seeing as you were just coming from rigors of court, I can forgive the panic braking.

I've thought about this scenario before, of having to brake hard when you see a patrol car if you were above the limit.

You're not alone :
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBTGgT_V5F8&list=PLB32CEA399220F4C1&index=7]Motorcycle Crashes in Front of CHP - YouTube[/ame]

I tried to make it a mental note to not brake too hard but drag the brakes and slow down gradually, the forks drop down quickly if you brake hard which is a bit of a tell that you were going fast. (not forgetting the possibility of dropping it)

In general on a bike, and I know its easy to say, you want to be thinking primarily of safety regardless of fear of getting a fine. So make the turn, get safe, then worry about a possible fine/police panic reaction afterwards.

I'll practise some mid-turn braking after hearing this story, I've heard a lot of bikes will stand up during braking mid-turn and go wider. For gentle braking its not so stand up-ish.