Gearing vs. MPH

porky45

Simple Question....

Anyone see what MPH each gear redlines at?

I redlined the bike at about 100mph today and think i may have been in 3rd? could have been 4th though. Anyone have an idea?

cbzdel

dont know.. i switch gears around redline haha... i dont pay much attention to my speed if I am speeding, I just look at the tach hah!

but...

hypothetically under perfect conditions it would be something like..
1st - 52.5
2nd - 76.8
3rd - 96.1
4th - 112.1
5th - 125.6
6th - 138

again these are "Theoretical Top Speeds" calculated my the Gearing Commander website.. They are most likely higher than reality, so I am guessing you were in 4th gear when you topped out..

porky45

ok that would make sense. I thought 100 in 3rd was kinda pushing it. I guess weight would also be a factor or no?

cbzdel

weight and size just cause resistance making it harder to reach max rmp, but your RPM will always be the same at the speeds since it all has to do with gearing. example, ask anyone on here what there RPM is a 60mph in 6th gear and everyone will have the same answer (unless they have modified their gearing)

Craxican I still have mixed review on the +1 front.. Reason being is my MPG has dropped, well not changed.. I am getting like 135 miles before the low gas comes one.. At stock I was getting like 150 (reduce 10% for what it was off by) and I am at 135, the exact same. My speedo is correct, which I like, but my acceleration is slower, I cant power wheelie anymore, and riding 2up seems like I have to work the clutch alot more.. Really I dont see any positives after writing this haha!! Maybe I will go back to stock if I see the same results after this tank of gas (I have been kinda working it trying to learn clutch ups so this tank I will take it easy)

Craxican

i feel you...i put on my sprockets to easily power wheelie and get that extra accel...well i can power wheelie at 7mph...i can clutch wheelie in third...and so far my best 0-60 time is approx 2.8 seconds...give or take a few millisecs do to human error...but i have to clutch more, my top speed is 120 deep in the red so no more racing past 3 stop lights...also...when i hit 110 it feels like i should shift again but cant:eek:...best advantage i've found is the bike feels lighter and i can ride it a bit harder without really acknowledging it because the rpms are up higher sooner...i do get up to speed pretty quick though...i kinda miss going 135 though

i feel you...i put on my sprockets to easily power wheelie and get that extra accel...well i can power wheelie at 7mph...i can clutch wheelie in third...and so far my best 0-60 time is approx 2.8 seconds...give or take a few millisecs do to human error...but i have to clutch more, my top speed is 120 deep in the red so no more racing past 3 stop lights...also...when i hit 110 it feels like i should shift again but cant:eek:...best advantage i've found is the bike feels lighter and i can ride it a bit harder without really acknowledging it because the rpms are up higher sooner...i do get up to speed pretty quick though...i kinda miss going 135 though
I'm anxious as Hell for my sprockets now!

Craxican

what kind did you get? i imagine the -1/+2 but did you get something other than Driven? Did you do the conversion kit? what chain if you bought the kit...yeah it's fun to take off fast and have the added torque...i just kinda miss my speed...sometimes...on occasion lol

Craxican

o and when you do get the sprockets on...not a good idea but you should try it once just because...take off in 6th gear...let me know how it goes

cbzdel

o and when you do get the sprockets on...not a good idea but you should try it once just because...take off in 6th gear...let me know how it goes
I can barley take off in 2nd :eek::eek::eek:

Craxican

yeah....i can take off pretty smooth in most gears...but in 6th...i redline it, slip the clutch,, and then once i hit about 2- 3000rpms i can just take off...don't do it often for obvious reasons...but there have been times when i stopped TOO fast and forgot to down shift:spank:

cbzdel

yeah....i can take off pretty smooth in most gears...but in 6th...i redline it, slip the clutch,, and then once i hit about 2- 3000rpms i can just take off...don't do it often for obvious reasons...but there have been times when i stopped TOO fast and forgot to down shift:spank:
hows it in 1st? i can only imagine the grab and go power of the clutch!

Craxican

i don't really have a first gear lol...at first i didnt notice too much of a difference...yeah it pulled harder, and the bike felt a lot lighter due to the aluminum sprockets...now that i've gotten use to it, i play with it more and yeah, much more pull. I can hit 40 in first pretty much off the line:eek: then i have to shift...in 6th, i can go from 60 - 100 pretty fast, then it starts to slow up a bit, but i can still get from 0 - 100 faster than before.

if you full throttle it directly after you release the clutch, the tire IS coming up:D...if you try to power wheelie...well i've gotten to the balance point at 7mph and that was completely on accident so i'm sure youre getting the picture...it is a lot of fun...o but i haven't checked my mpg, i know it seems like i'm filling up a lot more...but then again i'm also running it a lot harder

what kind did you get? i imagine the -1/+2 but did you get something other than Driven? Did you do the conversion kit? what chain if you bought the kit...yeah it's fun to take off fast and have the added torque...i just kinda miss my speed...sometimes...on occasion lol
Yeah, I got the -1/+2! I got the Conversion kit! I bought the black EK 520 MVXZ chain and the black driven sprocket! I tried getting the AFAM K2 black sprocket, but apparently they don't make it! They give you the option to buy it, but they don't make them for our bike! I figured black was the way to go, sense I have the raven! Did you do the install yourself!?

cbzdel

Side note.. its not really a conversion kit since we already have the 520 chain.. The only difference in the chain your getting is its an X-ring chain, which some say better others say worse??

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator