Gas: How low do you let it go before filling up

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

NightWolf

I do alot of long distance riding , So i fill up when i have the chance to.
I get " worried" when my bike has 2 bars from empty... I try and use the same fuel in my bike all the time Which is caltex 98 vortex . So when ever i see one of them , I fill up. I get around 250 kms from a tank of fuel ( 43 mpg )

Your bike should be 4.6 gal , Well mine is. ( 2011 )

CrazyCawi

So ive got almost 800 miles on the bike so far, maybe a little more. Seems like ive only gone 100miles before im at either 2 lines or 3 of gas So I dont wait and fill it up.

#1 How low do you let it go before you fill up? Do you wait until the last line blinks?

#2 From Topped off to running it out of gas, how many miles have you gone on a tank?

#3 Do I have a 3 gallon or a 4 gallon tank?

Help the noob :surrender:
I wait till the last line shows solid, then fill up. Usually about 3 gallons needs put in. :cool:

the_cr

Usually 200-225km's. Haven't gone so far as to hit the reserve tank (F Trip) yet but also am never all that far from gas stations. On longer distance rides I probably wouldn't let it go that far.

Generally hitting 50-54mpg's per tank on regular :)

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Stephenfz6r

I fill up on the last bar or F-trip, 210-250KM per tank.:canada:

iSpoolin

On the last line on the gauge

djf18374

Last bar blinking (F-Trip) almost every time. I have gas stations pretty much everywhere on my commute, so I don't really have to worry. As soon as that starts flashing I stop to fuel up! Usually get about 150-170 miles and fill with 3.5 gallons, which comes out to ~45 MPG. I also have the 17 tooth front sprocket that corrects the speedometer and MPG calcs to actual correct numbers. :cool:

Detrich

i think our tank sensors are really inaccurate... sometimes i'm down to 3 bars after only 75+ miles. but, when i check the tank, i can still see fuel in there... <lol> i generally top off whenever we stop for gas as a group. with gas prices nowadays, can't leave the station without spending at least $10 it seems...

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

Newmason

F-Trip, about 20 miles into the F-trip count up! With miles still to go! Never once had to put the full amount specified in the tank, and I just rolled 6400 miles pulling into home this afternoon. Bought the bike brand new beginning of March last year!

toddjcruz

I will try and fill up with one bar left if its just around town riding. I've been on F-trip many a time, 20-30 miles into it. Still had plenty left. Done this about 20 time, so it's not a problem to ride until you hit it.

Most of the time, its all about where the next station is. If we are out in the countryside, we plan for when our next one is, sometimes it means filling up at 1/2 a tank just to make sure you don't get into trouble.

My view is that the meter is spot on in regards to the F-trip. When that comes on, you have 1 gallon left. I plan 30 miles MAX], although I'm sure I could get the 45 out of it and still have a little left, but I try never to plan more than 30 miles on F-trip when doing a log day ride just to be safe.

No reason to keep it filled up or worry about running it too low causing any tank problem. If you plan on letting it sit over the winter and condensation is your issue, fill it up and put fuel stabalizer. Other than that, don't sweat it!

e.blackadder

can't leave the station without spending at least $10 it seems...
By golly! What a kick in the head! I rode a bit deep into the F-trip yesterday (4th nice day this year, the weatherman said) and got a shock at the gas station: over $15 for nearly 4 gallons. My little Saturn used to take around $15 worth some 10+ years ago. Didn't ride much because of sucky fall/winter/spring and from $9 fill-ups last year went pretty much straight to $15 fill-ups this year.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

CtrlAltDl

I always wait for it to start blinking F-Trip, but I'm almost always within 5 miles of a gas station.