FZ6R Riders on GSX-R750s

brownwa

When I first joined this forum I noticed many senior members had "graduated" from the FZ6R to the GSX-R750. After some investigation (and track days) I too made the transition.

Just want to ask other gixxer riders what they think about the change? Personally I love both bikes and really, REALLY wish I had the garage space for two. However I'm a one-woman kind of man and don't currently have the means to host a harem of motorcycles.

FZ6R Pros:
- The riding position.
- The riding position.
- Turning radius of the bars, excellent for city traffic.
- I like how it revs at 90 mph, great for touring, great mileage.
- The riding position.

GSX-R750 Pros:
- Torque.
- And glorious horsepower.
- But it doesn't turn... until you lean it over and then holy f***!
- The FZ6R brings out your best, the gixxer brings out your worst, and then tries to bring out even more.
- A supersport for the people (affordable and ergonomically kind).

RoadTrip

Well, I agree that the GSXR750 is a very agreeable and easy to live supersport. The gixxers are reliable, smooth, and have just the right amount of power; I am on my 3rd gixxer since starting on the FZ6R four years ago and its just a basic bike that does everything I want it to. I was tempted by the 2015 R1 this last time around, but it just seems like overkill since I don't ride track (and it would cost a lot more).

The pros of the FZ6R are less back strain, good looking, price, reliable, insurance, and has an I-4 engine.

The pros of the GSXR750 are lets you dance a little closer to the edge, but I found out recently cresting a hill hard in 3rd gear, I got my first ever hard headhshake as the front lifted a bit. It woke me up a bit as I guess I have finally found a limit, thankfully with only a lesson and not a crash.

You always gotta respect these bikes, and avoid becoming too comfortable, always focus on the fundamentals every ride.

pkoko

If the FZ6R was 50 lbs lighter and with gear indicator; I wouldn't have upgraded....

The GSXR feels as much better built machine. And it is comfortable enough when you lower the rear pedals. I would also strongly recommend tank grips as they help a lot in cornering.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

brownwa

To me there is no comparison, and really once you get used to riding any bike, there is no pain, engaging your correct muscles while in riding positions will confirm this for most of us. The 750 is totally different animal and such a complete package. Mine turns well right from initial tip in, I don't know why you'd need to lean it over so much to get the feel?
Mine turns fine but the issue is slow turns while the bike is upright. The 750's bars just don't turn as much as the FZ6R's. With the fizzer I could thread through stationary traffic at stop lights and essentially pick my lane. With the gixxer there's no way I can do right angle turns between cars/lanes at stop lights. Or I guess there is... I would have to become very very good at tip-steering the bike while standing up on the pegs, like dirt bike style.

You're right about using different muscles. After a few hundred miles on the 750 my body's gotten used to it. Definitely have to work my legs and core muscles more though to keep the weight off my wrists.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

ch33zecake

When I first joined this forum I noticed many senior members had "graduated" from the FZ6R to the GSX-R750. After some investigation (and track days) I too made the transition.

Just want to ask other gixxer riders what they think about the change? Personally I love both bikes and really, REALLY wish I had the garage space for two. However I'm a one-woman kind of man and don't currently have the means to host a harem of motorcycles.

FZ6R Pros:
- The riding position.
- The riding position.
- Turning radius of the bars, excellent for city traffic.
- I like how it revs at 90 mph, great for touring, great mileage.
- The riding position.

GSX-R750 Pros:
- Torque.
- And glorious horsepower.
- But it doesn't turn... until you lean it over and then holy f***!
- The FZ6R brings out your best, the gixxer brings out your worst, and then tries to bring out even more.
- A supersport for the people (affordable and ergonomically kind).
Well I was originally going to transition to a GSX-R but got a killer deal for a leftover '14 CBR600RR. But I can pretty much agree with everything you've mentioned above. The only thing that would be different with my bike to a 750 is obviously the extra 150cc. But as far as riding stance and handling I would have to say the CBR and GSX-R are very similar in comparison.

ch33zecake

If the FZ6R was 50 lbs lighter and with gear indicator; I wouldn't have upgraded....

The GSXR feels as much better built machine. And it is comfortable enough when you lower the rear pedals. I would also strongly recommend tank grips as they help a lot in cornering.
100% agree. Also helps with braking too. It could save your balls haha.

ch33zecake

Mine turns fine but the issue is slow turns while the bike is upright. The 750's bars just don't turn as much as the FZ6R's. With the fizzer I could thread through stationary traffic at stop lights and essentially pick my lane. With the gixxer there's no way I can do right angle turns between cars/lanes at stop lights. Or I guess there is... I would have to become very very good at tip-steering the bike while standing up on the pegs, like dirt bike style.

You're right about using different muscles. After a few hundred miles on the 750 my body's gotten used to it. Definitely have to work my legs and core muscles more though to keep the weight off my wrists.
I highly recommend looking into getting tank grips. From my experience, Stomp Grips are really good for track use. They feel really meaty, and I felt that they helped grip my legs a ton when wearing a race suit. For casual street riding or canyon carving, I like the TechSpec Snake Skin tank grips. It made a HUGE difference relieving any pressure from your upper body because the tank grips help a ton to grip your legs against the tank.