FZ6R Ride vs. Buell Rides...

Bigevildoer

I managed to get a few rides in at the local H-D dealership's demo day on the weekend. Didn't bother with the cruisers, but headed straight to the Buells.

First ride was on a XB12R Firebolt.
When I first started it up, I thought I was sitting on a paint mixer it was vibrating so hard (1203cc V-Twin - fan/oil/air cooled 103 hp). Once it's in gear and over 2500rpm, it smoothens out, but never quite to the same level of our silky FZ6R. The Firebolts redline at something like 7250 rpm. They have a 5 speed transmission as opposed to our 6, but it's geared much higher than the FZ6R. The front brakes are extremely sensitive on this bike, and I was happy I experimented a bit on city streets before hitting the highway.
The engine has a very deep throaty sound to it, so I was screwing up my shift points because I was shifting too late. To give you an idea of the sound, I was travelling at about 110 km/h (65ish+ mph) in 5th gear, and it sounded like our bike would, in 6th, travelling at 30 km/h (20 mph).
The Firebolts have serious acceleration to them when needed - dropped it into 4th at 110 km/h and cranked it - I think the H-D co-rider (guy who follows you) was pissed at me for doing it... he kind of shook his head at me and pointed his finger at me.. hit 150 km/h (95 mph) *REAL* fast, if only for a second.

My second ride was the 1125cr (Café Racer). This one has a different engine that's liquid cooled (1125cc V-twin 143hp). It redlines at about 12000 rpm. But, anything under 4000rpm is completely painful to ride. The bike's engine really seems to bog down and lose alot of its power. It's also capable of doing double duty as a paint shaker at idle, but not nearly as rough as the Firebolt. When you're up over 4000 rpm, it smooths out, but I still felt a constant vibration on my jewels. If you're a woman with a piercing, it would no doubt be pleasurable, but I just found it kind of annoying. It has a similar throaty sound to the Firebolt, but since it revs so much higher, it's kind of in the middleground of the FZ6R and Firebolt.
The riding position is much more cramped and race orientated. I found my wrists taking alot of the load under 110km/h (65ish+ mph). Over that speed, and the wind resistance helped ease the load on the wrists alot, but then I felt I was fighting the wind the whole time. Guess that's what I get for riding a Café Racer with no fairing or windshield at all. I found the engine really chugging at 100km/h in 6th gear - unless you're doing freeway (or racing) speeds of 115 km/h +, I really don't think I'd hardly ever use it and would prefer 5th because the bike runs smoother with less vibration.
On the good side, this bike has SERIOUS balls to it. Get it up to 6000 rpm and you're accelerating like a banshee. If you're cranking it, it's hard not to pop wheelies (I did a very small one accidentally before rolling off the throttle) in first and second gear. The acceleration makes the FZ6R look like a moped with a 400 pound fat guy riding it. The handling was very sharp, but it didn't feel quite as flickable as the Yamaha - could be that it was just my unfamiliarity on the bike.

If I had a choice between the 2, I would choose the Firebolt - it's more comfortable for me, it's cheaper by $3K and still looks great for a semi-naked bike.

If I had ridden both the XB12R Firebolt and the FZ6R before purchasing the Yamaha, I don't know for sure which way I would have gone. The Yamaha is cheaper and costs a bit less to insure ($975 vs. $1275), but the Buell has that crazy torque, great acceleration and better MPG. It's also a very unique looking bike - not at all like the japanese offerings.

That's about it...
Comments anyone?

PuRpl3_Dr4nK

I looked at Buells briefly when I was getting ready to make my purchase. They're not for me. I don't really like naked bikes and I've had two Yamaha ATVs that were built solid. Buells are for some people I guess but is it worth buying one now that they went under?

Bigevildoer

I looked at Buells briefly when I was getting ready to make my purchase. They're not for me. I don't really like naked bikes and I've had two Yamaha ATVs that were built solid. Buells are for some people I guess but is it worth buying one now that they went under?
Well, the Buells are really a "half-naked" bike. The way their frame is designed it almost looks a bit like a fairing (fyi, that's where they store their fuel - the thing that looks like a fuel tank is actually an air box).

It's not that Buell went under, but that H-D decided to close them because they didn't sell enough, and H-D's profit margin dropped 84% from last year - Buell was simply deemed the "weakest link" and was therefore closed. H-D also sold their share of MV Augusta (Italian bike company - amazing, but expensive stuff).

After giving my original post some thought, I think that my decision on the FZ6R or XB12R Firebolt could have been made by the better salesman. If there was a Buell dealer close by (nearest one is 100km - 65 miles) it really would have come down to that - which salesman/shop made me feel the most comfortable.

The shop I bought my bike from, much to my dismay has a bunch of half-trained fecal throwing monkeys for mechanics that are not careful with their tools and do an overall poor job. (The day I picked my bike up the seat bolts were hardly even finger tightened for example) Since then I've switched to a new local Ducati / Aprillia / Moto Guzzi dealer that has a former race mechanic on staff.

If I had known that the shop i bought from was so poor in service, I would definitely have purchased the Buell. But, I am happy with my FZ6R so far!

Later!

Hellgate

You must have ridden a CR with the original flash. That motor has power through out and no lag or bog what so ever. The most recent on is the 141, 10Z and 12Z are old ones and have traights as you describe.

For $5000 it is the best deal out there.

Last edited:

zig308

I rode my sister's Buell Blast earlier this past summer. Not something I would ever buy. It's obviously way different than what you rode, but it turned me off of Buell.

Paint mixer was an understatement for the Blast. That thing could probably separate the platelets from the red blood cells inside your veins.

pyrocpu

Hellgate

I rode my sister's Buell Blast earlier this past summer. Not something I would ever buy. It's obviously way different than what you rode, but it turned me off of Buell.

Paint mixer was an understatement for the Blast. That thing could probably separate the platelets from the red blood cells inside your veins.
Yup the Blast was a POS. Go ride an liquid cooled one, it will change your mind.