FZ6R opinions from anyone..

Y

YamahaMAXdRPMs

So, as this has been talked to death before.. i figured i would ask again...
My buddy is going to his MSF in april and is looking for a new bike now.. After asking him what kind he was looking for He is looking at either an R6 or a CBR600, both of which i told him were big bikes for a learner. I had the option when i got my FZ to get an 07 R6 for the price of an 08 FZ but after kicking myself a few times, i knew an R6 was too much of a bike for a beginner, and not only that, but R6 wasnt the bike i needed for everyday travel. Even though its sexy as hell.

So what it boils down to is with the 09 FZ6R coming out now... i thought that would be a good bike to start him out on... skip out on the whole only 74hp and all that and try to focus on the good points... Centerstand, small exhaust, relaxed feeling.... so im looking on any input on this bike... i know the Fz6ers like to talk down a little bit, but remember its for a beginner, so he is what this bike is made for...

So what kind of stuff can i use to talk him into it? Also, from the people who have one... whats your opinion?

Nelly

It has had very favorable reviews in the biking press. The only thing that I am pi55ed at is that UK and Europe don't get the fully faired version with the race styled seat.

Nelly

PS I will definitely have a look at it when it comes to change my FZ6.

:thumbup:

C

craig007

I sat on one at the Chicago bike show. It looks great and I like the out of the way exhaust. The reviews say that it is quiet too (a plus in my book). If the FZ6R was available when 2 years ago when I was starting out, I would have gotten it instead. The MSF class taught me to ride on a 200 cc honda. Compared to that, the R is plenty fast. I also like the single headlight look. IMO, its only real problem is that it doesn't come in RED.

Cloggy

It also got good reviews in the Dutch press (Motor and Promotor). It was said to be easier to ride than the FZ6 (and they said it was less "nervous" than the FZ6, smoother clutch and gearbox and more torque at lower revs). All round great beginners bike with ABS as standaard (in Holland anyway) for a great price. I've seen the naked version at my local dealers and I thought it looked nice.
Ok it lost a bit of ground on the tubular frame and the weaker brakes but they thought it would become a best seller.

C

cv_rider

Beginners shouldn't get new bikes. Too expensive, too much stress when the inevitable parking lot drop happens. 74 hp is still heckuva lot for a newbie. He should get into something a few years old for $2500 and then decide what he really wants a year later. He'll probably sell it for almost what he paid. There is a very strong market for beginnger bikes.

D

dako81

Beginners shouldn't get new bikes. Too expensive, too much stress when the inevitable parking lot drop happens. 74 hp is still heckuva lot for a newbie. He should get into something a few years old for $2500 and then decide what he really wants a year later. He'll probably sell it for almost what he paid. There is a very strong market for beginnger bikes.
I agree completely. I bought a GS500 as my first street bike (had been riding dirt bikes for years), and got my use out of it. I never laid it down or hurt it, since I was an experienced rider. Then I sold it to my best friend who I got into liking bikes, taught him how to ride on it in parking lots for two months (much more training than the MSF course, which I have taken) until I felt he was ready to ride on the street.

We had an agreement that he couldn't take it out on the road until I decided it was time. He got his learners permit, and I rode the bike out to his house in the boonies. He had to ride with me in sight since he only had his permit, and the first time out on the street, he didn't take the turn correctly like I taught him, at about 20mph and laid it down. He learned, and hasn't done it since. Now, he's enjoyed it for a couple of years and soon he'll move up to something a little better.

But anyways, if he had a new bike, he would have been kicking himself.

1st bike = USED

S

suicide72

I second that. This would be the better route. You don't need 70 or 100hp to have fun on a bike. I started with a GS500 and had a ball on it for a couple years (it also helped that I prefer the naked bikes).

If your friend needs something sexy with a full fairing (new Ninja 250!?) then the FZ6R is a much better option that a SS600.

There's a recent review on MD here: 2009 Yamaha FZ6R: MD First Ride

fuzzylogic

a few things you should take into account when reading the following are: i have only been riding for 3 weeks, i have not test-riden any other bike to make a comparison with (i have an open invitation on an SV650 but i want to practice more before i take my buddy up on it as i don't want to do something completely newbish and trash his bike), and i wanted a bike that was relaxed enough to not be intimidating while learning on but at the same time had enough gusto to it that i wouldn't become bored of it inside of 6 months. oh, and i also wanted it to look good! =P

due to my extreme lack of experience you may decide to completely disregard my input but seeing as i am the target audience for this bike, it very well be more relevant than that of a 20 year vet.

having said that i am extremely pleased in my purchase. the bike is, quite literally, everything i had hoped for. it is extremely easy to ride and has more than enough power to entertain me for quite a while to come.

i can ride it for an hour and hop off without any hint of muscle strain or fatigue. the brakes are more than strong enough but aren't grabby in such a manner that they will spook a new rider who panics and grabs a touch too hard on the lever. it has plenty of low end torque and a healty top end. i can acutally pull away from a stop at idle with a bit of clutch feathering (i don't know if this is normal for a 600 but i was impressed by it).

after having owned it for a few weeks (a long time i know =P) i am still marveled at how easy it is to ride for someone with virtually no previous skills other than quads. the handling is almost telepathic in its response. when i want to make a turn or change lanes, it seems like i'm already there. it is extremely easy to control in stop and go traffic and i have yet to stall it.

honestly i could go on for quite a while extrolling the virtues of this bike but i'll save you the headache. the simple fact of the matter is that if i, as a newbie rider, went to yamaha and commissioned them to build a bike specifically for my needs with a budget of 7k, i don't see how the end result would be much different than the FZ6R.

if your friend is dead set on getting a new first bike and doesn't want a 250, then i would HIGHLY recommend the FZ6R. a friend of mine with similar needs and experience to my own is considering a bike and i won't hesitate to recommend it to him when the time comes.

Hellgate

Turbo 'Busa?

S

shreveport1

I beleive bikes like the xvs650 have given 600cc bikes a bad street reputation too the non-motorcycle educated public.I remember when a 750cc bike was considered a "Big Bike"! now there are ridiculous monstrousities boasting 2000cc's,and 8ft long!!!what's the point in that?anyway the point i'm trying to make is today's 600cc sportbike engines make yesterday's Kz 1000 for example seem like starter bikes in power comparison,but in their day they were king of the road!!! I don't think the fz6 is a good starter bike for the average Joe,because it has the ability to go ridiculously fast and a rider with little time in the saddle and lot,s of courage or "peer presure" could get Really hurt,or Really DEAD real quick.IMO you need to learn to respect the power and danger that come with riding two wheels before you jump on a bike like the fz6.

DefyInertia

a few things you should take into account when reading the following are: i have only been riding for 3 weeks, i have not test-riden any other bike to make a comparison with (i have an open invitation on an SV650 but i want to practice more before i take my buddy up on it as i don't want to do something completely newbish and trash his bike), and i wanted a bike that was relaxed enough to not be intimidating while learning on but at the same time had enough gusto to it that i wouldn't become bored of it inside of 6 months. oh, and i also wanted it to look good! =P

due to my extreme lack of experience you may decide to completely disregard my input but seeing as i am the target audience for this bike, it very well be more relevant than that of a 20 year vet.

having said that i am extremely pleased in my purchase. the bike is, quite literally, everything i had hoped for. it is extremely easy to ride and has more than enough power to entertain me for quite a while to come.

i can ride it for an hour and hop off without any hint of muscle strain or fatigue. the brakes are more than strong enough but aren't grabby in such a manner that they will spook a new rider who panics and grabs a touch too hard on the lever. it has plenty of low end torque and a healty top end. i can acutally pull away from a stop at idle with a bit of clutch feathering (i don't know if this is normal for a 600 but i was impressed by it).

after having owned it for a few weeks (a long time i know =P) i am still marveled at how easy it is to ride for someone with virtually no previous skills other than quads. the handling is almost telepathic in its response. when i want to make a turn or change lanes, it seems like i'm already there. it is extremely easy to control in stop and go traffic and i have yet to stall it.

honestly i could go on for quite a while extrolling the virtues of this bike but i'll save you the headache. the simple fact of the matter is that if i, as a newbie rider, went to yamaha and commissioned them to build a bike specifically for my needs with a budget of 7k, i don't see how the end result would be much different than the FZ6R.

if your friend is dead set on getting a new first bike and doesn't want a 250, then i would HIGHLY recommend the FZ6R. a friend of mine with similar needs and experience to my own is considering a bike and i won't hesitate to recommend it to him when the time comes.
I remember thinking how much easier standard bikes were to ride than cruisers...they felt like bicycles in comparison. Now I realize how hard they are to ride....and how much I suck.

S

SovietRobot

I wanted a brand new FZ6, but the first time I dropped my bike I was glad I bought it used.

But considering there are no used FZ6R's yet, I can justify a new rider buying a new one.
Yamaha clearly created this bike for new riders, and I think it would be great for those wanting a sport bike, without getting in over their head.

Now in my experiences, I'm happy that I didn't buy a 250 for my first bike, I would've gotten bored with the power in a week.

edit: Also with the regular FZ6, while it is one of the easiest bikes to ride, there IS definitely a learning curve. The clutch is really stiff and has a narrow engagement point, and it can have a jumpy throttle.

V

VEGASRIDER

The new FZ looks like a Suzuki with the single headlight.

On another note, have you seen the newly designed R1? OMG!

S

SovietRobot

The new FZ looks like a Suzuki with the single headlight.

On another note, have you seen the newly designed R1? OMG!
Dude yes. I have been fantasizing over the new R1 for months. I want to go to the dealership just so I can do nasty things to one. :drool:

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuyUWHozAvM[/nomedia]
With Two Brothers exhaust. Sounds like a supercharged V8!

I wounder if you can somehow fit the new R1 headlight on an FZ6, that would be perfect.

grommit

As a young person once and having brought up a young person :D I'd have to say they usually do the what they want or the opposite. So you should just layout the facts and let them make their own decision. If they mess up then be there for them.

I think the FZ6R is a nice bike, good looking and fun, its granddad (R6) donated the engine so...

M

madmanmaigret

If he is buying a bike because it is "sexy" he is doing it for the wrong reasons. I would ride a fuzzy pink (no offence by the pink wolfman!) 250cc honda nighthawk before I hoped on a bike that was way over my knowledge level/riding skill. Let him get whatever he wants (turbo 'busa) and after he dumps it and hurts himself.....he will never ride again anyway so who cares? Then maybe you can buy the bike from him for cheap....yeah thats the ticket...tell him a R6 so you can buy it.

K

keira

If he is buying a bike because it is "sexy" he is doing it for the wrong reasons. I would ride a fuzzy pink (no offence by the pink wolfman!) 250cc honda nighthawk before I hoped on a bike that was way over my knowledge level/riding skill. Let him get whatever he wants (turbo 'busa) and after he dumps it and hurts himself.....he will never ride again anyway so who cares? Then maybe you can buy the bike from him for cheap....yeah thats the ticket...tell him a R6 so you can buy it.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Now, if he is looking at certain bikes that to him ARE sexy, that is different. But, from the sound of your post, it seems like he is trying to ride for attention and not for the love of it, which makes a dangerous rider no matter what he's on.

FWIW, I bought my SV brand new. It was my second bike, but second only by about 4 months, so I still consider it my learner. I love how it looks in addition to all the other reasons why I chose it, and I still have it 4 years later. But, I also got into riding because I love it, not because I wanted to look hot or get dates, and I can honestly say that I didn't care in the least when I tipped it over in a parking lot less than a week after buying it. Rob teases me because I barrel-rolled away from it so as to not get pinned. I think my exact words were: "Eh, now it just has some character." Your friend doesn't sound like he'd be quite so laid back if his "baby" were to get "damaged".

You can give as much input as you want, but in the end he's going to get what he wants. Tout the positives of the R. Plenty of power, forgiving while you're learning, comfortable riding position (too many people don't really take this into account), and sexy enough to people who don't know the difference between an R6 and a 'Busa (they are all "sportbikes" or "crotch rockets" to the general public), who are probably the people he is trying to impress, anyway. But, in the end, he will choose what he wants. All you can provide is information. What he does with that info is up to him.

R

robertdroberts

Two cents:

1. Get a used bike, its cheaper and already de-valued. So if you don't like it you can upgrade.

2. The FZ6 is a good starter bike and with room to grow. It also has the power, if you want to tap into into it and you can change the appeareance.

3. Living on the planet earth will kill you, so pick your poision, normally money is the center of that decision loop, so that should rule out the bigger bikes.

Sorry, gotta go back to work...PS - Insurance should also be a major factor (money again)

F

Fz6Sa

IMO it's more about rider mentality that what bike is being ridden ....
You can mess up yourself and the bike pretty bad on a used 125cc just as well as you can on a R1 ..... (Though I would feel more petty for the R1 than the 125cc :) )

I see no problem in a new rider starting on a new bike, - if they ride it to their abilities, not to others exportations.

I do however agree, that way to many riders choose bike from what others will think of it, and not be course they like the bike them self.