FZ6R Oil Change Question

I got my FZ6R about 2 months ago and have yet to ride it. It has 15 miles on it due to a salesman riding it home for me. Should I change the oil at 600 miles or should I change it now since it said 600 miles or 1 month. My wife starts it for me every 3 days and lets it run till it reaches 180 degrees. I would like to wait till I get to 600 miles. Now what do all of you think? Oh just in case you don't know I am Military in VA and my bike is in Florida.

Wingover

If you will be away for several months, can your wife or a friend accomplish the long-term storage procedure outlined in the bike owner's manual (Chapter 8)? Otherwise, maybe just do an oil change anyway due to the corrosive environment in Florida.. Metal things are not happy in that salty/ humid atmosphere..

While it is good that your wife is getting the motor hot enough to burn out some of the condensation in the motor, I vote for doing the oil change or 'pickling' the bike.

wrightme43

Admin of Socks & Puppets

RZ350 Rider

I went to my Dealer to buy a filter for my 6R and he said it's so new he had no microfish for it yet. Does anyone KNOW the right filter number? Same as the FZ6? I really need to get the service manual for it.

RZ350 Rider

I went to my Dealer to buy a filter for my 6R and he said it's so new he had no microfish for it yet. Does anyone KNOW the right filter number? Same as the FZ6? I really need to get the service manual for it.

RZ350 Rider

The dealer did not have the oil filter for your FZ6R that's odd. They should of got a few in once they take delivery of the bike parts. I plan to change my oil on 1 June when I have access to my bike. Hopefully my dealer will have the correct oil filter.

RZ350 Rider

The dealer did not have the oil filter for your FZ6R that's odd. They should of got a few in once they take delivery of the bike parts. I plan to change my oil on 1 June when I have access to my bike. Hopefully my dealer will have the correct oil filter.
Yeah, that's just what I thought. I was really kinda pissed, but I only have 325 miles as of the ride to work today so I'm not that worried YET. Besides I was really there to pick up my parts I ordered, the Cadmium Yellow Seat Cowl, "Clear" Windshield and GYTA Air Filter. The seat cowl looks awesome on the bike. The rest of the parts go on tonight.

RZ350 Rider

Cool man, my bike has only 15 miles on it but my wife has been letting it run for about 10 minutes every 3 to 4 days. I want to change the oil since it has been 2 months already. Only thing I'm getting right now for it is the frame sliders and tank pad.

xplodnstar

RZ350 Rider
I just picked up an oil filter and did my oil change a couple weeks ago. Part number is 5GH-13440-20-00. The dealers should have them, as well as a parts store.

Roaddawg

Ditto on xplodnstar's part number (5GH-13440-20). That's for the Yamaha brand OEM filter from the dealer. It's the same filter as the FZ6, R6, R1, for 2006 and up, according to the box.

RZ350 Rider

Thanks guys, I just knew someone here would know the answer. I also just read the link Wrightme43 posted, very interesting reading. I knew bike racers didn't break in engines the way the factory suggests, not even auto racers do it that way. I'll get the filter and change it now, at about 380 miles.

RZ350 Rider

sdesl11

wrench filter dimension

I want to know for a OEM oil filter Yamaha, what is the dimension for the wrench filter l need. Thank

buzzbomb

Elite Member