fz6r in cali

corwin06

Hello I've been trying to sell my fz6r in Cali but it has Minnesota plates on it. I've been doing some research and it says I need 7500 miles on it and then j can register it here or something or if its 50 state smog legal? Can't really find much on the subject wondering if any of you have any insight. And everyone is offering me 3700 for a 09 bike with 5000 miles on it? Cmon now

frankdevans

You should not have to change the state on the plates to sell it, whoever buys it from you will have to do that when they transfer the title anyway. I live in OK and there is a chance that the laws are different, but I wouldn't think they would be that different. I have bought bikes from other states several times, and all I had to do was bring it with me to the DMV when I first got the tag because they had to do a physical VIN check against the title.

Imagine you live in CA and wanted to go buy a bike from someone that still lives in MN; they wouldn't have to become a resident of CA and then transfer the bike tag before selling it to you, that all happens when the new owner goes in to transfer the title and get the new tag.

Someone please correct me if I am substantially wrong, but I have never seen another state that didn't handle the situation just like that (for bikes and cars both).

cezell09

You are correct in that you would normally need 7500 miles on it to register it in California. The FZ6R sold in California is a different model than what is sold everywhere else. California requires 7500 miles before they will consider registering it since it is not a California specific model. You can always try going through AAA instead of the DMV because they sometimes let it slide. It is a big ordeal so that might be why you're having trouble selling it.

frankdevans

Wow, I was way off. I didn't realize how inane the Cali rules were. Can't imagine why businesses are fleeing the the state is broke.

You should not have to change the state on the plates to sell it, whoever buys it from you will have to do that when they transfer the title anyway. I live in OK and there is a chance that the laws are different, but I wouldn't think they would be that different. I have bought bikes from other states several times, and all I had to do was bring it with me to the DMV when I first got the tag because they had to do a physical VIN check against the title.

Imagine you live in CA and wanted to go buy a bike from someone that still lives in MN; they wouldn't have to become a resident of CA and then transfer the bike tag before selling it to you, that all happens when the new owner goes in to transfer the title and get the new tag.

Someone please correct me if I am substantially wrong, but I have never seen another state that didn't handle the situation just like that (for bikes and cars both).
They offer you that amount in CA becuase the cost to transfer and pay CA taxes on an out of state bike is expensive $$$. I have my dad's Harley still registered in TX because CA wants me to pay tax on a gift...

corwin06

I knew in California it was all different because of smog and what not :/ I don't understand why 7500 miles matters though like wtf haha. What do you mean AAA might let it slide? And once its at 7500 miles the person I sell it to can just get it registered no problem?

SurfJunkie

I tried to sell my 2011 copper FX6R with ~10K all highway miles in 2012, and I was being lowballed at like 3200-3400 dollars. I opted to just keep it and ride it to death.

Good luck with the interesting 7500 mile rego rule and lowball D-bags on craiglist. Hope you get what you are looking for out of the sale.

corwin06

It would pain me to sell it for 3700. The guy who offered it is a wholesale guy and I'm not sure if he knows its an out of state bike.... I want to get rid of it before we deploy so I don't have to get a u-haul to bring it home and deal with storage :(

corwin06

I put it on craigslist in Arizona and las Vegas too hopefully it will be easier to sell it there

cezell09

I knew in California it was all different because of smog and what not :/ I don't understand why 7500 miles matters though like wtf haha. What do you mean AAA might let it slide? And once its at 7500 miles the person I sell it to can just get it registered no problem?
AAA registers vehicles the same as the DMV and sometimes they don't care about the 7500 miles. They are more lenient sometimes.

hellboy7

Man.. good luck. It sounds like a lot of trouble...
I don't know about cali, but out here theres not too many buyers for bikes right now. It's winter so the season is kinda lame for riding..

latony007

i can tell you this much, i would NEVER buy a bike from another state and bring it to Cali. That is just asking for trouble, expense and hassle. Bring a bike from Cali to any other state, no problem! There is a reason there is a different model for Cali and since im old i can tell you it actually works, air quality here is soooo much better than it was when i was growing up. I think it sucks but i have to admit its made a big difference. If the guy offering 3700 doesnt know its not registered in cali i doubt he will give you that.

corwin06

i can tell you this much, i would NEVER buy a bike from another state and bring it to Cali. That is just asking for trouble, expense and hassle. Bring a bike from Cali to any other state, no problem! There is a reason there is a different model for Cali and since im old i can tell you it actually works, air quality here is soooo much better than it was when i was growing up. I think it sucks but i have to admit its made a big difference. If the guy offering 3700 doesnt know its not registered in cali i doubt he will give you that.
That's really interesting actually. Being from Minnesota where air pollution is not a problem when I came here and learned about getting vehicles smogged and stuff I thought this is dumb there are so many loop holes and my dodge Dakota 4.7 was smogged and passed with quite a bit of bolt sons to hear it actually worked is pretty cool

corwin06

Would you have to physically take the bike in and have them look at the odometer to see it has 7500 miles?

latony007

Would you have to physically take the bike in and have them look at the odometer to see it has 7500 miles?
probably, no other way to prove it i guess. Are you sure that over 7500 miles exempts you from having to be CA emissions compliant? it may be, that just sounds too easy to me.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

corwin06

Thank you for the useful information ^ I'm active duty so I'm gonna call the DMV and see how much it would be to register it in California

latony007

so basically you can buy any old used piece of crap that pumps out chunks of smoke and bring it to CA, but you just cant buy it here. that doesnt make much sense. If it were a car i wonder what would happen when you went to smog it. Dont think you have to smog bikes though. Sounds like you should be good to go. Although i say keep it, much better riding weather around here than MN :)

corwin06

I would want to keep it but we deploy this summer and there isn't any room in the truck to take it back home