FZ6R exhaust, airbox and cool air induction free mods

Lilbikeilike

Hi guys,

First, I’m sorry about my bad English and I’ll do my best. I’m new on the forum, I’m very happy to learn your experiences about the bike and to share about mines. Now, I would like to tell you about my mods to change sound, because I think it’s the principal problem with the stock exhaust system. So, after reading a lot on this forum and watching videos on youtube, I decided to make the 5 minutes mod (punch a hole in the interior wall of the muffler), to drill the airbox, and to loosen the air entry from all the electric stuff in front on the airbox. Check the videos I put the links to see what I mean. The result…, I am very happy about that, the sound is a bit louder, more engrave, with a little howling around 7000 rounds, but my neighbour don’t want to kill me. I definitely recommend that mods if you, like me, like that bike, don’t want to spend money, don’t want to break the windows on your passage, but would like a more virile sound.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoNH7nouYiI]Easy 5 minute FZ6R Exhaust Mod - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHuGQknOnek]Yamaha XJ6 cool air induction, Naked model of FZ6R .wmv - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Gj85FctKU]2012 FZ6R Air Box Mod - YouTube[/ame]

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Fizzi6ergal

What are the downfalls of poking a hole in your exhaust? Do you lose HP? Do you lose MPG? Does it pop on deacceleration? Some people have told me to absolutely NOT do that, then I see a lot of people on here do it with no complaints. What have people personally experienced with poking holes in their exhaust other than a louder sound? Cause that's what I'm looking for in an exhaust. But I don't wanna ruin my exhaust and end up having to buy my Two brothers just because I ruined my OEM exhaust by poking holes in it.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Fizzi6ergal

We all have different standard for different needs. My definition of modding is not the same as yours or other people and we all respect that. I don't think a little hole in your exhaust will change much. In my opinion the minimum I would do is the exhaust tip mod like few other members did.
Does that change the sound at all? I'm not looking to get anymore HP out of it. I just want to change the sound from a high pitch to more of a mid or low end sound.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Fizzi6ergal

check out this vid. fyi - the modded version is not the poking the whole. bit it is cutting of the stock nozzle off the can and weld on a new larger bore nozzle. there are a few threads on that mod here
Yeah, I remember seeing that one too. Where they weld on a car exhaust tip for the muffler tip. I've thought about going that route too. That would be cool if there was a paint that could stick to the exhaust tip and I could paint it PINK! How cool would that be! OMG I must try it!

tatty2012

Yeah, I remember seeing that one too. Where they weld on a car exhaust tip for the muffler tip. I've thought about going that route too. That would be cool if there was a paint that could stick to the exhaust tip and I could paint it PINK! How cool would that be! OMG I must try it!
I'm pretty sure they have Pink, High Temperature paint out there!

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Fizzi6ergal

I never personally did it or hear the bike with the 5 min mod. But someone can probably tell you here. Worst case, I have stock exhaust here to be modded on regular basis for the Viper. I could always trade it in for yours if you don't like it. Just let me know ahead so I can put a stock one on the side for you.
When you say, Viper. Are you talking about the car?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Lilbikeilike

What are the downfalls of poking a hole in your exhaust? Do you lose HP? Do you lose MPG? Does it pop on deacceleration? Some people have told me to absolutely NOT do that, then I see a lot of people on here do it with no complaints. What have people personally experienced with poking holes in their exhaust other than a louder sound? Cause that's what I'm looking for in an exhaust. But I don't wanna ruin my exhaust and end up having to buy my Two brothers just because I ruined my OEM exhaust by poking holes in it.
Hi,

To answer your questions, I don't have see no downfalls. The feel of the bike is exactly the same and this morning again, I commute to work, and was saying to myself I was realy happy of the mods I did, if it can be called mods, in the same idea that Marthy spoke. It just gives to the bike the sound that he should have. Not too loud, but you loose the sound that seam to be an electric bike. 3 years ago, I had a bandit 1200, and I changed the muffler for a yosh bolt on, the sound was too loud. For my FZ6R, I didn't want that, and I'm really happy of the result. On idle, it sounds a little bit more grave and a little bit louder, when you accelerate, the small flute sound you hade with stock is now a motorbike sound, a little bit lumpy or crispy, and at 5 000 and at 6000 you have good shouts from your engine, not for breaking windows around you, really no, but too much to remember that you drive a metal horse. I can't say you what it does with one or the other of the dwo mods (exhaust and airbox) because I did both at the same time, but I could say to you, don't be afraid, it does not a too loud sound and no constatation on diffecence of power, it realy seam the same, and no pops on downshifts. Good reflection...

Fizzi6ergal

I just talked to my coworker about cutting holes in the airbox. He said that would work. So when it gets warmer, he said he'd help me drill holes in my airbox. He would be afraid if I was pulling in too much air, I would need a power commander. In your video, did you do the exhaust mod as well? Or was that just the airbox mod? cause if just doing the airbox mod changes the sound that much, I wouldn't need to change my exhaust at all.

Lilbikeilike

I just talked to my coworker about cutting holes in the airbox. He said that would work. So when it gets warmer, he said he'd help me drill holes in my airbox. He would be afraid if I was pulling in too much air, I would need a power commander. In your video, did you do the exhaust mod as well? Or was that just the airbox mod? cause if just doing the airbox mod changes the sound that much, I wouldn't need to change my exhaust at all.
The video you have see on youtube is not mine, but the guy make a comparative before and after about the airbox, so. I did this with a CBR125R before and it gave 2X of sound, and the throttle feels stronger, so I don't think it reduce the power and need a powercommander on the f6. When you open the airbox, you don't give more air to your motor, the throttle bodies determine the amount of air you give to your motor, you just increase the availability and liberate sound from airbox.

Fizzi6ergal

The video you have see on youtube is not mine, but the guy make a comparative before and after about the airbox, so. I did this with a CBR125R before and it gave 2X of sound, and the throttle feels stronger, so I don't think it reduce the power and need a powercommander on the f6. When you open the airbox, you don't give more air to your motor, the throttle bodies determine the amount of air you give to your motor, you just increase the availability and liberate sound from airbox.
Ok. It sounds like a good idea. But you did it to your CBR? I can't believe that Yamaha would make the airbox that big when it's only allowing that tiny amount of air in. Kind of a waste for that big of an air filter.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Lilbikeilike

Ok. It sounds like a good idea. But you did it to your CBR? I can't believe that Yamaha would make the airbox that big when it's only allowing that tiny amount of air in. Kind of a waste for that big of an air filter.
I did it to my CBR125R when I had it, and last week end, I did it to my brand new FZ6R and in both cases, it works fine.