fz6r down....

XTRAWLD

Alot of it looks cosmetic, she shouldn't worry about all that. I don't know about how it's riding though as you stated earlier..... She has war wounds, you and the wife! Get her to stand up and be proud, it's all experience.....

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

redprodigy35

CC,

If it makes you feel any better, my mom was pretty shaken up after her spill going 10mph. After the initial rage fit I threw, I realized the most important thing is that she is ok, having taken only a nick/bruise to the inside of he palm.

Besides what flyboy said about confidence and nerves, somewhere deep down inside-- the ego bruises as well.
I think the best bet would be to minimize actual damage to the bike, while still holding on to how lucky she is to not have gotten hurt. I'd also try to downplay the whole thing by playing it off as inherent risks that you are willing to take when you ride. By taking this approach you will then teach HER (if she doesn't know already) about the inherent and daily risks of this grand hobby of ours, and perhaps she will re-asses her commitment to riding with a positive responsibility bearing attitude. If she has already put alot into riding (gear, seat time, reading, etc.) it will be unlikely IMO that she will turn her back to it. But by slowly getting it across that this is how it is for all of us who ride, she will cut down her ego bruising. After all-- bikes fall, people slide on concrete, bikes follow behind, and then hopefully we all get up and ride/live another day. Her riding skills could most likely improve, but seeing as how she puts effort into riding with you and has accepted the MC as a hobby in your lives-- this just needs to be chalked up as one of those "learning experiences".

When my bike "tipped" over as I watched my mom try to save it-- it was a "tragedy".
Next week, I accepted it as an "accident". Big difference.

Wish you all the best along with the misses, and I hope she decides to get back on the horse with an "I can do this attitude".

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

djf18374

First of all, glad she is okay! I have not dropped my bike (yet) but I have dropped dirt bikes and rolled fourwheelers in the past...so I know how terrifying that can be. Hope it does not put her on the outs with Cycling for good. That would be a terrible thing :(

Second order of business...Maybe it is bar position that is throwing off the "feel" of the front end and driving. I know when I changed the height and rake of the bars it made my bike feel totally different! Looks as though when she dropped it, the bars either bent, or just twisted back in the mounts....maybe even slid a little to the right side in the mounts? Could check it out and see if a different position makes a difference for you. It does not look like anything but a low speed light drop to me, and therefore I do not see how the forks could have been tweaked :confused:

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
That doesn't look bad at all! The black items? Sharpie covers those up well. The only worry is the plastic part. JB Weld if all the parts are there... take it off, apply the JB Weld and let it sit for at LEAST 24 hrs, preferably 48 hrs. The frame slider.... touch it up with some 800 grit sand paper then put some wax on it to make it shine again.

That is VERY minor damage. Oh, and install that lowering link for her!

Cmltoe

shes been crying and can barely make sense of the story.
Glad She's OK CC. Your quote reminds me of the time my wife got lost on her way to work and called me crying, asking me to help her find her way (in New York). I asked her calmly where she was and she said "I don't know." WELL THEN HOW THE *%*$(#* CAN I HELP YOU? lol. Gotta love the ladies......

Soapartist

Left the bike for her today because she wanted to drive it. Got a phone call a little while ago from her road side, downed the bike. Luckily it was at a stop so shes not hurt. Sounds like she came to a stop on the road crown and it spooked her and down it went. Not sure the full logistics but it got dropped twice, leaking coolant, and a cop helped her get it off the road into a parking lot and there it sits.
Ok, first off she knows the bike means a lot to you, so of course she is going to feel really bad.
Also, people think boots with tall heels help.... I'm here to tell you, they don't. Only if you get a platform sole on the boot, will it ever help with the reach. (I know several people that have taken boots to a shoemaker and had an inch put onto their sole)
I have a VStrom DL650, and I tipeetoed it home when I bought it... bought some big fat soled boots, and.... immediately lowered the bike. Now it is tolerable, and I love it..
It may help to tell her over and over, that all of us have dropped bikes.
I dropped 'em 3 different times, 2 different bikes. Once was just while standing still, and I thought the dang kickstand was down... DUH!
It wasn't my husband's bike, and I know I would have been 5 times more upset about it, had it been his.
She needs to know that dropping the bike happens at least once or twice to everyone, and now, she just got that part out of the way.
My husband cannot relate (I mean really relate) to my insecurities surrounding not being able to securely touch the ground.
He has one bike now, that he is not totally flat footed on, and keeps mentioning his foot doesn't touch the ground all the way!! HA!! I just say well welcome to my world :D, only I am much farther from touching than he is.
Anyway, if you ever want her to try it again ... do not let her on it again till you lower the bike man.
Lowering will make a HUGE difference for her.
She did great for her first time out alone, after all, she had the guts to get out there and do it... but maybe for a while, she should have someone to go with, just in case... Until she feels secure.