FZ6R and DRZ400sm consolidation

FSauve

I have been an FZ6R owner for a few years and I've recently bought an DRZ400sm to see if I enjoy offroad riding as well. I'm really enjoying it but I'm thinking about selling both and getting just one to save on insurance and maintenace. I'm thinking of a mix between the road comfort, smoothness, and power of the 6R and the offroad nimbleness and flickability of the DRZ.

Is there anything that lands in that category? I've been reading about the BMW F800GS or maybe the V-Strom as potential bikes but it's difficult to find test rides where I live.

Thanks

RoadTrip

I have done a lot of research in the past on dual sports and adventure bikes and there is no such thing as a bike that does everything well. You either give up off road abitilies for street comfort, or vice versa. Tires also follow the either or scenario. If all your going to do is fire roads for the off road part, then you can get just about any adventure bike (which includes the F800GS). But, if end up with a big 450-650 single, it will be great off road but will suck for street riding.

I have dreamed of riding out to Big Bend NP on a bike (not trailering it), and doing the back roads out there, those back roads are'nt too demanding so an adventure bike would be fine. My choice would be the Ducati Multistrada, and just pick tires that do best on street but still worked somewhat off road. In other words, I would sacrifice off road ability to have a great street ride, because if I really wanted to do off road seriously, I would simply buy a full on dirt bike or KTM dual, that would likely see very little street use.

FSauve

Well, my DRZ has standard street tires (I'm looking at Avon Distanzia next) but I'm having a blast in gravel or 4 wheeler trails. I'm not looking to play in any massive mudholes or perform stunts and I'd probably be doing 70/30 on/offroad. I definetely don't want to sacrifice onroad abilities since I may travel a 100 miles or more on the highway in a day and I enjoy being comfortable.

ReChUcK

What about the Versys? That seems like a pretty sweet 70/30 bike.

Vstrom riders say that it is a rock solid bike but not thrilling in any way.

My buddy rides a Tiger 800xc but drops it a lot because it is so dang top heavy, and he's not exactly a midget.

RoadTrip

Well, my DRZ has standard street tires (I'm looking at Avon Distanzia next) but I'm having a blast in gravel or 4 wheeler trails. I'm not looking to play in any massive mudholes or perform stunts and I'd probably be doing 70/30 on/offroad. I definetely don't want to sacrifice onroad abilities since I may travel a 100 miles or more on the highway in a day and I enjoy being comfortable.
Don't know if you have the budget to go with the bigger bikes, but the latest KTM and BMW sound pretty good for the type riding you are talking about. The Ducati still doesn't get much love for off road ability, but would be closest to a sportbike, though.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oIbu6q84D8]BMW R1200GS, KTM Adventure, Ducati Multistrada, Triumph Explorer & More! - On Two Wheels Ep. 38 - YouTube[/ame]

jay

If it was me I would just sell the 6R and keep DRZ, I don't think there is any reason to upgrade to another bike for on/off road fun. DRZ is a great package, yes changing to Avon Distanzia would be correct choice as you already know that SM have street tires and are not meant for off roads. DRZ have got plenty of power, anything else would be a downgrade as it would weigh more and not be as much fun off roads! I was so close to buying a DR650 or DRZ but ended up buying a Speed Triple 1050 instead, totally different beast :)

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

FSauve

Thanks for all the information. I might just have to keep the DRZ although I'm not sure about long highway runs with it.

I don't want something more expensive like Triumphs. If I was to combine them, i'd take the money from both plus a few thousands (Canadian) to buy the new one.

I am liking the look of the new Vstrom 1000 concept but I'm afraid it might be difficult to maneuver in small trails cause of the weight. Anyone have experience with heavier adventure bikes? Anyone try both that and a smaller enduro?