fuse keeps blowing

rahlo1

installed flushmount signals now the fuse keeps blowing the signals were direct plug ins made for a r6 so i thought it would work but i guess not ant suggestions

xplodnstar

There is probably a crossed wire somewhere. It may have been a bad set of lights. If you're electrically inclined, you can try to trace the problem yourself, but if not, I suggest swapping the lights for another set.

There should be no reason for the signals to produce enough amps to pop the fuse.

cbzdel

wires are backwards or bunk lights... my guess is bunk lights because i dont think backwards wires will blow the fuse...

F

Fred

Backwards wires could blow a fuse in one case, where the negative wire is also grounded to the body of the turn signal, and the turn signal is bolted to grounded metal on the bike.

With the FZ6, that's not likely since the turn signals are mounted in plastic. So it's probably an internal short in one of the lights.

rahlo1

thanks guys i will check the wires again in the morning. im sure its something simple i must have done because everything was fine before and the bike is brand new

N

nccoder

wires are backwards or bunk lights... my guess is bunk lights because i dont think backwards wires will blow the fuse...
The LED's shouldn't conduct when reverse biased. They just won't light. Pinched wire maybe or shorted LED assembly?

rahlo1

ok guys heres the news wires are fine so it must be the lights. will return lights today and try new set hoprfully thats the problem

rahlo1

ok i got new lights and its still blowing the fuse. they work fine at idle but as soon as i pull off they go out no brake light no rear lights at all. im lost does anybody have any ideas?

bd43

Did you try re-installing the stock lights and did they cause the fuse to blow? When you said you had lights that plugged directly into the stock harness, did you alter the stock harness at all?

If the wiring for the FZ6R is the same as the FZ6, the brake light is on a different fuse than the front marker lights, the tail light, and the plate light. If you are blowing only one fuse, either the brake light works or the other ones I mentioned. If neither work then I think you crossed a couple of wires or there's more than one fuse blowing. Can you expalin further?

rahlo1

no i have not reinstalled the stock blinkers i was gonna do that today to see what happens.

the lights i bought plug directly into the front stock harness the rear i had to slice but still used the harness so both plug directly in.

the bike is new picked it up last saturday i did the front first with the stock rears for a few days the lights blinked faster than normal but they worked. did the rear and thats when the fuse started to blow. im no electrician but i have done this mod on several bikes before and never had a problem.

i hope this is enough info. if not let me know

MNDZA

the rear i had to slice
My guess is the problem lies somewhere around that slice...either that or changing both front and back blinkers together is causing the problem. On mine, just changing the fronts caused my signals to flash faster due to the difference in resistance. So maybe changing both with non-stock resistance bulbs causes the circuit to be way off what the fuse can handle.

rahlo1

im at work now so i cant mess with the bike until i get home. but would different bulbs cause this type of issue? i seem to be the only person to have this issue and i think ive seen bikes on here with both front and rear signals changed. hopefully switching back will help.

rahlo1

just went out to see if unplugging the signals would work after unplugging both front and back still no luck it still blows the fuse. is this normal? if its unplugged then there should be no power right? so whats causing this now this gets more and more confusing by the day

U

urbanj

Whatever you did, and it's hard to know because when people wire things up they all do it differently, you created a short before the lights.

reverse what you did. recheck. and go through it again. It's definitely the rear thats causing the problem. How did you "splice" it?

rahlo1

i rechecked and rewired new lights yesterday. they work with the bike on and sitting there but as soon as i pull off they blow the fuse so im wondering if when i hit the throttle it sends a surge threw and blows the fuse does that sound right? is there a different fuse for the tail light because i i have no rear lights at all when the fuse blows

rahlo1

plugged the stock blinkers back up and its still blowing the fuse the only thing i can think of now is maybe the relay? please help i really dont want to take it to the stealership for this i know it something simple but what?

N

nccoder

any more suggestions?
This should be pretty simple to find. It's probably something that has nothing to do with what modification you were doing since you've checked the wires associated with your mod. I don't have the time right at this moment but in a couple of days I'll be able to look in the manual or a Haynes schematic to try to help. Look at the wires at the handlebar.

Does the fuse blow when you start the engine but doesn't blow if you just turn the key on?
I'll be on the road but will try to check in tonight from a family members house.

Good luck
Cliff

rahlo1

Does the fuse blow when you start the engine but doesn't blow if you just turn the key on?

no it doesnt blow when i start it or when i turn the key. its fine just sitting there running in neutral but as soon as i pull off it blows. thanks for the help everyone i really would like to figure this out

hld4rvr

Ok, I installed an FE and kept blowing the same fuse. Break light would go out as well as blinkers. I found it was the bolt from the lighted license plate screw that was touching the trun signal light. This caused a short. So make sure nothing is touching the new blinker..metal on metal.. use elecrical tape on the metal and see if it does not blow. When you take off it could be making something touch and short. Hope it helps

-mark