Full Fairing means more expensive repairs

strommer

Contemplating how to repair a cracked fairing panel on my Kawasaki. It fell over when the sidestand sunk into a driveway of wood chips (silly, naive me!). I'm interested in buying a FZ6R, but wondering how much would have been damaged if the Yamaha had been the bike to fall. Anyone crashed their FZ6R or priced replacement panels for the fairing? What was damaged in the spill? Mirrors, panels, etc.??? Are sliders sufficient at minimizing damage or are there other protections available?

Lastly, what's the best gas mileage you've gotten while doing highway speeds? Am I the only one who goes the speed limit?

zig308

I'm a speed limit weekend warrior myself. Thankfully, my driveway is made of 2 layers of asphalt though.

I've yet to put on sliders, but I do have some multi-vex mirrors sitting in the garage waiting to be put on and a raised bubble wind screen on order :D

As they said in MSF class, you can only minimize risks to a level that you're comfortable with. So, you will have to answer these questions on your own. I have full coverage bike insurance, so I've minimized my financial risks to a level that I'm comfortable with.

micigniter

im looking at one of my quotes right now.my bike is in the shop.

1 body, front upper- 455.99.

This is whole left side, all the black stuff, everything.(no internal gauge stuff, this is left fairing and black stuff.)

pretty expensive cosmetically to fix, parts are scarce as i understand. however, i've seen just used fairings themselves on ebay for our bike in good condition for 100 to 150.

MikeN02

Contemplating how to repair a cracked fairing panel on my Kawasaki. It fell over when the sidestand sunk into a driveway of wood chips (silly, naive me!). I'm interested in buying a FZ6R, but wondering how much would have been damaged if the Yamaha had been the bike to fall. Anyone crashed their FZ6R or priced replacement panels for the fairing? What was damaged in the spill? Mirrors, panels, etc.??? Are sliders sufficient at minimizing damage or are there other protections available?

Lastly, what's the best gas mileage you've gotten while doing highway speeds? Am I the only one who goes the speed limit?
I've heard of some motorcycle shops around that specialize in repairing damaged bikes etc, haven't seen them myself. My brother used bondo to seal the fairing back together, sanded it down and painted it. It looks good.

Frame sliders are ment to protect the frame not necessarily the plastics. It'll protect it if you go down at slow speeds but who knows at higher speeds.

I dropped my bike while working on it yesterday and I only have rash on the slider, mirror and bar end.

ksanbon

Crashing isn't cheap, with or witout fairings.

I laid mine down a couple of months ago, sliding on the left side about 20 yards trying to exit a slow speed turn at 30 mph.

Functional and cosmetic damage included the cracked front fairing, scratched windshield, bent center mounting bracket, scratched lower panel, cracked inner fairing panel, scratched "intake" tube, bent handlebar, broken mirror mount, scratched mirror, broken front marker light, dented fuel tank, bent shifter, bent kick stand, wasted T-Rex slider, scratched rear marker light, scratched passenger grab handle, and many scratched miscellanious parts. Please note that the scratches were significant as sliding on asphalt w/ a 670-pound bike at any speed will cause serious damage.
My insurance company estimation came out to $3600 and wanted to total the bike. The local shop got it down to less than $2500 which allowed me to keep it.

I also tore the sleeve on my jacket, which my wife was able to fix. My riding pants suffered a hole near the hip.

Damage to me = 0. I will always wear ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME.

If you don't have the frame sliders, get them now.

I was lucky and prepared, Please don't just count on luck.

Gas mileage 43 daily 53 freeway

Have fun and be safe.

Last edited:

Verranth

My brother laid my FZ6R down the first week I got it. Luckily, it was in the driveway, and he eased it down...so it didnt fall from being on the side stand.

Anyways, the damage report:

scratches to the left side (side that fell on) mirror, turn signals, and frame slider.

Panels were saved =)

My brother had mentioned ealier that afternoon, "Why did you put those ugly things on?"

When I helped him pick up the bike, I simply reminded him, "That's why".

"How much were they again" he asked.
"$100 bucks" - I said
"Good purchase" - he said while laughing
"Yep =)" - i laughed too.

Roaddawg

My brother had mentioned ealier that afternoon, "Why did you put those ugly things on?"

When I helped him pick up the bike, I simply reminded him, "That's why".

"How much were they again" he asked.
"$100 bucks" - I said
"Good purchase" - he said while laughing
"Yep =)" - i laughed too.
Then you said, "Don't ever touch my bike again!!"......right?!

arkkornkid

LOL, I was gonna say "cup-check" ..... but a good punch gets your point across too.