Fuel System Question

Wingover

I just got my '09 bike yesterday here in Denver. Does it need to be "jetted" for our altitude? Or is that a non-player for a fuel-injected motor?

I ask because I left the dealer with a full fuel tank (at least according to the fuel quantity indicator), & after only riding 50 miles, the fuel gauge shows half.

My previous bike was a shaft-drive cruiser..would my style of shifting affect consumption?

W

wolfc70

You should not need to do anything to compensate for alitiude. Fuel economy will be less than stellar until you get 2k miles or so on the engine. My FZ6 went from 38mpg to the high 40's once I got some miles on her. Now I will get over 50mpg on long trips with 3500 miles on her.

tractorboy

Was thinking the same thing! As after 30 miles I went through a 1/4 to almost 1/2 a tank.......Ok...NICE.

W

wolfc70

Also do not forget the "R" has a half gallon less tank capacity than the normal FZ6. Also the gauges are not linear. Mine stays on full for awhile, then drops fast to half, then stays fairly steady until I'm at empty.

C

CravenMoorhead

The old carb systems had different size jets that could be adjusted for altitude but your FI system should compensate.

My bike did the same thing with the fuel dropping two or three bars all at once after picking it up.

I think the dealer fills the tank while its on its kickstand and the tank does not fill to full capacity...

We get a few miles per gallon better fuel mileage than the non-R FZ's.

Wingover

Many thanks!

The dealer's input was that they use 'racing' fuel to top off the bike when they send a customer out the door. The dude said that the burn rate of this fuel was higher..