Fuel Filter

iljazi

Hi,
This is my first post to this forum. I've had my '09 for a little over a year and I love it. I did all the regularly scheduled maintenance myself straight from the procedures defined in the service manual. Oil/filter change, radiator flush, spark plugs, air filter etc with relative ease. I also purchased a Russel fuel filter:

Russell Fuel Filter | 720-680 | J&P Cycles

I cant seem to figure out where its located and the service manual has no reference to it. I've tracked the fuel lines all the way to the carb and I don't see it unless its inside the tank itself accessible only via fuel pump removal from the bottom of the tank, or it simply doesn't exist. The latter being hard to believe since they make after-market fuel filters. If someone can show me where the fuel filter is located I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ilir

Aside:
I've been reading posts on this forum and everything is really useful. I also notice that some members get pissed about users not using the search function so let me assure you that I have searched and did not find anything relevant on this topic.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Chevyfazer

The filter is made into the fuel pump housing which is inside the fuel tank, and it cannot be replaced by itself. Or atleast it can't on the earlier ones.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Chevyfazer

True true. Thanks for having used the search function lmfao I don’t recall ever coming across this subject here on the forum nor in the owner’s manual. Good question now I want to know.
Here's the link to the parts http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2010/FZ6R - FZ6RZR/FUEL TANK/parts.html

Pretty much if you really want to replace the fuel filter then you have to buy the whole pump assembly. It's a pretty shitty design but at least they use that same pump on like 3 or 4 different bikes so they are easy to find used ones, If you want to go that route.

iljazi

Thanks for all the information. I gave up on the fuel filter, didn't want to go through the hassle of mucking around with the fuel pump especially since my fuel tank was nearly full.

A friend of mine told me to use Shell V-Power for at least 3 consecutive fill-ups apparently it has something that cleans out the injectors for max throughput. (shrug)

See this link:
Shell V-Power® Premium Gasoline | United States

Even if it wont do anything for a partially clogged fuel filter the trade-off with the injectors functioning at their full potential should be enough for the rider to notice a slight boost as far as throttle to acceleration turn around time. Right now I'm going to try this out and see how it goes because it can't hurt. The way I see it I need gas anyway. Down the road, however, I'm sure I wont be able to resist taking the fuel pump apart and seeing/replacing the fuel filter hopefully then I'll have an nearly tank of gas ;)

Thanks again.
Ilir

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Chevyfazer

Thanks for all the information. I gave up on the fuel filter, didn't want to go through the hassle of mucking around with the fuel pump especially since my fuel tank was nearly full.

A friend of mine told me to use Shell V-Power for at least 3 consecutive fill-ups apparently it has something that cleans out the injectors for max throughput. (shrug)

See this link:
Shell V-Power® Premium Gasoline | United States

Even if it wont do anything for a partially clogged fuel filter the trade-off with the injectors functioning at their full potential should be enough for the rider to notice a slight boost as far as throttle to acceleration turn around time. Right now I'm going to try this out and see how it goes because it can't hurt. The way I see it I need gas anyway. Down the road, however, I'm sure I wont be able to resist taking the fuel pump apart and seeing/replacing the fuel filter hopefully then I'll have an nearly tank of gas ;)

Thanks again.
Ilir
Shell uses nitrogen additives in there fuel (all grades) which is very good for cleaning but I just use seafoam

buzzbomb

Elite Member
S

SkyOrDie

Those in-line fuel filters are designed for carb'd bikes only. The lines are pressurized in fuel injected vehicles. Plastic and hose clamps don't make the grade. If it's not a metal can with special fittings, don't bother. If there are no symptoms of a clogged filter, don't mess with the fuel pump. Injectors can be chemically cleaned. Run a tank of Seafoam at 1oz/gal for periodic nozzle maintenance.

-Stan

buzzbomb

Elite Member