fu*ked up :(

SoCal600

i have 42,xxx miles on my 2010 fz6r. bought a shim kit last year and yesterday i was finally able to do the job. had everything lined out, bought the factor yamaha repair manual online (pdf) and proceeded to take off the seat, gas tank, air filter housing. when i got to the throttle bodies i didnt see the DIRT unter the base plate and when i got the throttle bodies off the dirt fell into the intake runners :( FML. needless to say i needed to take off the cylinder head to get the dirt out of the intake and combustion chanber. i took off the valve cover and removed the header, muffler and radiator. removed the cylinder head and took out 95% of the debrie. when i took the cylinder head off partof the rubber on the head gasket got torn off between the gasket, head and block, another FML. so im here with my bike in pieces waiting to buy a $39.00 head gasket. thought about using a little high temp silicon but i know it wouldnt hold up to the high RPMS. lesson to the story is if ur doing ANY bike work that involves the engine. WASH or AIR BLOW the area before my situation happens. was up till 2:30am taking the engine apart, its a long and painfull process no matter how many times u do it, it sucks lol.

Last edited:

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

now would be great time to install that turbo kit you've been thinking about

SoCal600

my intake runners had oil coating on the walls and the dirt stuck to the valves and walls. grains of sand and other things accumilated over the 42,000 miles. it was a pretty good amount that fell in and i tried to suck some out but particals still stayed. not to mention cylinders 2 and 3 were open and i didnt want the grains of sand to score the piston walls or damage my valve seats. i thought about a turbo mod way back but now i just want to get it back together lol. i wanted to make a custom ram air intake but i need to study flow dynamics before i start messing with the intake, certain things work negative on the engine. to marthy do i need any other preperations on the cylinder head to install fz6 cams ? different valve springs or head gasket because of the larger opening of the valves ?

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

SoCal600

thanks marthy :) gotta get my cylinder gasket and get it back together first, then the fz6 cam mod. head gasket is about $40.00 at local dealership, online its $23-35 dollars. im gonna take my head to work tomorrow (RDO equipment) and and wash it in the parts washer. and make sure its all clean and then get the gasket and slap it all together.

Ricenoodle

Could this happen during the install of the AIS Blockoffs? wouldn't hurt to vacuum once i lift the tank up right? Sounds like a bad day.

SoCal600

Could this happen during the install of the AIS Blockoffs? wouldn't hurt to vacuum once i lift the tank up right? Sounds like a bad day.
are you gonna just lift the tank up and hold it up with a piece of wood ? that is the fastest was to access the air box and remove it but it is sooooo much easier to take off the tank that way you have total access, just my opinion tho. honestly it wouldnt be a bad idea to take some compressed air and blow off the top of your motor and air box before you start opening up your engine. a can of computer duster or hell even carb cleaner will be perfect just make sure that the engine has cooled down. i dont know how effective a vaccum would be in getting in the tight spots. i dont have AIS block off plates... what i did was take off the factory ports and fill them with JB weld and let them cure over night then installed. it works and no now knows if i have home made block off plates or $40 ones :)