Front brake squeels

Howdy! I have a question! My front brakes are squeaking and I know it can't be the pads! They still look good! I sprayed some brake cleaner on, but it didn't help either! But when I brake slowly I can hear it squeaking in just a certain area! You thinks something could have gotten lodged in there!? Any suggestions would be nice!

WIyamirider

I'm pretty sure the OEM brake pads are a semi-metallic compound. In a nutshell, they're kind of like ultra-dense steel wool. It's normal to hear a high-pitched squeak sometimes. As the pads wear, the metallic fibers become either more exposed or worn off, so the squeaking may come and go. No amount of cleaning will make it go away, and it's nothing that you did. If something got lodged in there, you'd hear a pretty nasty grinding noise.

Mine squeak during slow stops as well. It seems to be more prevalent for me when the brakes are cold. Once they get a little heat in them, the squeaking seems to go away.

porky45

good to know because my brakes were/are doing the same thing.

SilentT

Curing Brake Noise

Remove pads and rotate them on some emory paper (cloth sand paper) This removes the glaze.
Auto Zone sells "anti sqeel compond" you only need a dab or two on the outside of the pad where the pistons touch.
I've done it a hundred times.
Problem solved

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, my OEM pads squeak as well. Likely from having a loose contact with the pistons. A little brake pad paint, and the squeak should go away.

roidrage

mine squeak also... its not all the time though... i have plenty of pad left on the brakes.. .not to worried about it

stuna

Remove pads and rotate them on some emory paper (cloth sand paper) This removes the glaze.
Auto Zone sells "anti sqeel compond" you only need a dab or two on the outside of the pad where the pistons touch.
I've done it a hundred times.
Problem solved
dont use the anti sq compound , its the old tech way . on the BACK of the pads are shims for noise . get some disc brake lube from your auto parts house . put it on the BACK of the pads between the shims , them some on the cal piston face . ive been in auto repair for many of years , have seen many of noisy brakes
http://www.belray.com/consumer/product.fsp?pid=1328
this works very good