From stock to all LED Flasher ?'s

bastage

1st off Im new here & search on the forum didn't give me what I was looking for (at least not that I found) so go easy on me as this has probably been asked about 3k times..

I just picked up an 2009 fz6r on tuesday. So far it has been great & I have found the answer to several questions here so thank you to everyone contributing info on this forum.

Today I ordered a Fender Eliminator kit from Ebay. It comes with 4 LED turn signals which look a whole lot better then these giant stock ones.

Will these be bright enough? Most of my riding will be in the daytime so I am kind of worried that there wont be enough uumph to them to be seen. Also with these I am guessing they are coming as just 2 wire's. Is there a preferred method for wiring them in. I am fairly proficient with a soldering iron & heat shrink so I am not worried about making the connections. I am guessing though that the stock lights have a connector so I am guessing its a matter of cutting off this connector as to leave the bikes wiring harness alone.

Also I assume that I will need a relay, but my googlefu seems to be failing me as I cant seem to find one that list's for all LED flashers. I don't foresee myself ever going to one of the integrated LED/Flasher tail lights, but if I come across an all LED tail light without the flashers at a decent price I may add that.

Not related to the flasher's, but one other thing I am going to do is remove the decal's from the tank. Mine bike is white & it came with the black tribal crap with pink trim & the previous owner removed the rest of the decal's & then used a sharpie to cover the pink on the tanks graphic. Is this as simple as a little patience & a heat gun, or is this more in depth since I believe it is clear coated over.

So any help on this would be appreciated.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

bastage

LED's will require a relay (about $25 and it's plug and play). If you want to retain stock running light capability in the front and new signals are 2 wire you will need a magic blinker setup or you can do the resistor/diode DIY method. I have the magic blinker which is the same thing, but neatly done for me. LED's should be plenty bright, but depending on what the front signals looks like (flush mounts?) you may want to add lights in your air scoops as well (very easy and cheap).
So if I am picking out the right stuff I need the Blinker Genie (Formerly: Magic Blinker) & ELFR-1 Electronic LED Flasher Relay (picking from the 1st page that came up on google & carried both.

If those are correct do I also need the Stage I Load Equalizer that is listed on the relay page?

And am I right in guessing that all this can be done by cannibalizing the signal wiring only without any modification to the bike's?

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

bastage

You'll have to cut the plug off the factory blinker and use it for the new ones unless they have the correct plug to fit the 6R. Not hard at all and if you use crimp connectors or bullets it will be as good as factory. The parts you listed are all you'll need other than maybe some connectors from radioshack.
Thanks Scott, but do I need the equalizers on the 6r?

Also I think I will order stock connectors as well. I think buying them rather then cutting into the stock stuff would be preferred incase I ever feel the need to go back to stock. Would 2 sets (one for front & 1 for back) be needed?

I don't really like crimp connectors at all, but I will solder the wires & then heat shrink the connections so it will be a good electrical connection & should be lower profile then crimp on's.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

bastage

No, don't need the load equalizers. Yeah, buying the connectors is a good idea if you have the money. You will need 4 connectors (2 rear and 2 front). I did shrink tube for the rear lights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
ok.. The Relay, Blinker Genie & 2 sets of the connectors are ordered.. Should greatly improve the aesthetics once installed with the FE kit..

Now just to remove ugly *** made uglier decals & go for a clean white look.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

bastage

Yeah, not a fan of the graphics (especially white). I have a 2011 raven and removed mine too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Any tricks for removing the graphics for someone who has never done it?

Also your help has saved me a ton of time already, so thank you

bastage

Well got the FE kit & the order from CustomLED

Back end turned out Mucho better

http://i2.minus.com/i8Ork3w6L5JqI.jpg

Now its just too bad that I have no flipping clue as to how to mount the lights to the front... I dont want to drill new holes, but given the oblong teardrop shape of whats there what other options for mounting the front are there?

dnielson45

Elite Member

bastage

Thanks for the pic! I'm actually torn on this. I definitely want to get rid of the obnoxiously large turn signal indicators, but I'm not sure I'd want to go that small.. Is there a middle ground?
I imagine that about any aftermarket signals will mount to the FE.. & it is available without the lights for a few bucks less.. You could also go with the integrated tail light & not have the lights on the FE at all.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member