Free FZ1 FE Mod... you provide the labor!

F

FZ1inNH

Attachments

F

FZ1inNH

Re: I cannot be FZ6inNH any more!

I started by removing the rear fender then separating the plastic from the metal bracket. I mounted just the metal back on the bike and eyed where I wanted to cut. Since I do not have a welder, I knew I had to cut and overlap the metal so I could drill and bolt it. I chose my spot and marked it, removed the bracket then cut it into the three pieces. Drilled two holes per side and bolted them overlapped. This knocked almost 4" off the length. After I bolted it. I put the metal and plastic back together as best I could and marked the new "TOP" for the plastic. I took the hacksaw to it and cut on the line. I had to get creative and cut in and around the top to fit the bracket with the welded on cap nuts. Here are shots of the underside so you can see the overlap and bolts. This was before I cut off what was on the next two shots.

View attachment 18010 View attachment 18011 View attachment 18012

Attachments

F

FZ1inNH

This is also going to apply to the FZ6R as well. It is nearly identical in the tail as the FZ1 so just as easy to fabricate. It will do for this year for both bikes and maybe next bonus, I'll have the dream kit made OR just buy an aftermarket and call it a day. The problem is the CNC shops here all want a lot of money for the first one I design and then it gets dirt cheap afterward. So, I would have to bite the bullet and build one for both bikes then try and sell copies for a small profit to recoup the initial cash outlay.

For now, this will do!

F

FZ1inNH

Thanks Eric! Well, they *could* be removed. These are the stock rubber mounts that Yamaha puts on all their bikes with the egg shaped plastic inserts. If I pop them out then remove the screw inside, they will come off. Then I'd have to buy the plates to convert the egg mount to the stud mount but it can be done.

I was thinking this would make a great place to put some nice Cobalt Blue Watsen flushies (front and rear) and still have them visible. :D

As for the pipe? Huge difference in sound, minimal gains in performance (it is hard to judge the difference between 136 hp and 141 hp. :eek: :D What is the BEST part is the weight reduction. The power to weight ratio is increasing!

Stock 2009 FZ6 = 459 lbs wet, Stock 2009 FZ1 = 485 lbs wet, Difference is 26 lbs.

Stock FZ1 can with cables included = 16.8 lbs, new TB can = 4.1 lbs, reduction = 12.7 lbs

New weight of FZ1 = 472.3 lbs.

ant_mb

That bike is sooooo damn sexy!!!! Did you buy the TB exhaust or did it come with it?

N

nccoder

That 2 Bro's looks so nice and I already know what a difference in the sound there is.

I curious. I ride on the balls of my feet on my pegs. When I've sat on the FZ1 my right heal would always hit the exhaust shield. When you sit on your new bike with the balls of your feet on the pegs does your right heel hit the 2 Bro's?

Thanks,
Cliff

F

FZ1inNH

That bike is sooooo damn sexy!!!! Did you buy the TB exhaust or did it come with it?
Thanks Anthony. I ordered the TB the day after I got the bike. I installed it Friday night. What a totally different sound! Every time I work with it or ride it, I appreciate it even more. A total treat to ride and effortless in the twisties. All that power and it doesn't weigh a lot more than the FZ6! Having adjustable inverted forks stock is a major plus too!

F

FZ1inNH

That 2 Bro's looks so nice and I already know what a difference in the sound there is.

I curious. I ride on the balls of my feet on my pegs. When I've sat on the FZ1 my right heal would always hit the exhaust shield. When you sit on your new bike with the balls of your feet on the pegs does your right heel hit the 2 Bro's?

Thanks,
Cliff
Thanks Cliff!

I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs when I'm riding more aggressively and when I am just tooling along, I ride with the insteps on the pegs. It just relaxes the knees and ankles enough to keep me comfortable for long periods of touring.

I've had no trouble with either the stock can or the TB with the right heel. But, I also have to admit, I only wear a size 9 boot too. I can see where a larger foot would hit. That being said, the front cap of the TB is not as far forward as the stock can's cap and the TB is much smaller and compact. You might clear it.

What I'd suggest is go trade up right NOW, order the TB and overnight it. Install and test.... We can adjust anything after that to suit you. :rockon: :D :thumbup:

F

FZ1inNH

I made my own FE also. Some cutting of the large sail...drilled 2 holes, and Wah Lah.... a Tidier booty

Pics are of it off the bike from the track day
It's great to see innovation and end up with something you like without having to spend money, isn't it?

Well done! :thumbup:

Who else is modding without spending?

F

fz6nick

It's great to see innovation and end up with something you like without having to spend money, isn't it?

Well done! :thumbup:

Who else is modding without spending?
Its been 150+ and hasnt flown off so I think its here to stay!:rockon:

reiobard

looking good there!!! That pipe isn't too bad either...

F

FZ1inNH

Just got my sliders in the mail today. Going to torque those on in a few. I bought the T-REX sliders as they were nice an long. Delrin machined to a nice grooved finish and aluminum inserts so they do not crush. Look well made. I'll feel safer tomorrow. :D

Thanks Rob! Did you get my message about fork oil? I have three bottles I forgot I bought with the springs. Doh!

reiobard

Just got my sliders in the mail today. Going to torque those on in a few. I bought the T-REX sliders as they were nice an long. Delrin machined to a nice grooved finish and aluminum inserts so they do not crush. Look well made. I'll feel safer tomorrow. :D

Thanks Rob! Did you get my message about fork oil? I have three bottles I forgot I bought with the springs. Doh!
Yup, got the message and replied accordingly :)