Frame Swapping a Junk Title FZ6R?

Bretster

Whats up guys.

A buddy of mine who works for a towing garage had just given me a call about a 2009 FZ6R with 4k miles, perfect running that they had impounded, and police/insurance/manufacturer/dmv or whomever in charge of the title had given it a junk title. This bike was given a junk title because the owner had gone to jail, the bike was considered "abandoned" and NJ issued the bike a junk title.

This bike is NOT STOLEN, currently has a valid NJ Junk title. This junk title, for those who do not know, is given when bikes either have a severe amount of damage (75% +) and deemed not safe to be rebuilt or salvageable, or the special case like this where the bike was abandoned and the owner did not attempt to gain possession back (in this case because he had gone to jail). This bike is just taking up space in his impound garage, and he said that by order, this bike's frame must be destroyed, with or without all other parts of the bike, but the bike is 100% perfect running current condition.

Now, the question is that I have the opportunity to buy this bike at what it would cost worth in scrap metal and materials. Currently, there are clean titled 09 fz6r frames on ebay for anywhere between 500-1000. I am capable of swapping the parts over myself, but is this illegal? I do not want to run into any issues with a frame swap.

I currently own a 2009 Ducati Monster 796, many dirt bikes and quads. Looking to pick up a second bike (this fz6r), sell the ducati and get myself into a nice, low mileage perfect running FZ6R for potentially less than $1000.

Let me know what you guys think, thanks.

Bret

blkbrd

Elite Member

latony007

Are you sure about all this? We have what we call a "salvage" title in Ca which amounts to about the same thing. There is no order on detroying the frames that i know of. Many are bought back from the insurance company and driven for years because they were salvages for something minor. When the insurance company sees a 5 year old bike that was only 6k to start they just scrap it as a matter of course. My brother has a salvage title Ninja 650 and he had it checked by a dealer before he bought it and not a problem in 5 years.

Chucker

taylorisking21

Ive done this, it's legal, as long as the new frame has a clean title. Be sure to check for a lien.
On bikes the VIN is only tied to the frame, nothing else. When people steal your bike, this is what they do.