Frame spiders/travel bags

DevlDog

Hey guys I was curious about frame sliders and travel bags. What are some good quality examples of each? I don't think my fairings have slots for sliders like my buddy's gsxr. And I was thinking about a bag on my back seat or a tank bag. Something I can carry a laptop or a few school books in. Thanks!

Reactions: JT

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

DevlDog

I had thought about a backpack already, but I didn't really know if the weight shifting back and forth on my back would be a good idea? I'm not entirely sure what would be safer/better.

What kind of no-cut frame sliders are better than the others, or are they mostly all the same?

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

latony007

bags

problem with bags is that it takes away from the sport bike look. I have bags on my cruiser and they look great. on my sport bike I look like a dork. I use a backpack and unless your carrying a 100lbs of lead bricks I don't think the weight on your back will be an issue. It never has for me. I also have the trex no cut sliders, shogun seems to be the other popular one. Shogun has cut and no cut, I think trex just has the no cut.

latony007

link

I was going to put a link in for the trex sliders but looks like they are out of stock at amazon and ebay.

Scott what was the final decision on the debate of premium vs. regular gas? :)

I go with premium based on it costs more lolT Rex Yamaha 09 on FZ6R FZ 6R Frame Sliders No Cut | eBay

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

latony007

since i just bought some

since i just bought some i did do a little research. From what i got and one of these experts can correct me if im wrong, cause i just bought my bike a about 6 weeks ago and only owned a cruiser before that, but the shogun uses a single screw into the bike on the bracket, which could cause the bracket to twist or rotate in the event of a drop/slide. The Trex uses uses 3 bolts on each end of the bracket so it cant twist. I can tell you for sure that the trex brackets are fricken solid and must add 6 or 7 lbs to the bike lol. I also liked the looks of the trex better which have solid ends vs. the shogun which has open ends and looks kinda like a skate board wheel. I wanna put these stickers on the end of my trex ones

Attachments

latony007

premium

Thanks Scott i found it split 50/50 as well just doing a general internet search. Some say bikes burn the 87 better but i think 91 is going to burn better under any circumstances and like you i really dont care if it costs 20 or 22$ to fill it up. Pretty sure the manual says use minimum 87 so that implies higher is better.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Invader Jim

And I was thinking about a bag on my back seat or a tank bag. Something I can carry a laptop or a few school books in. Thanks!
Tail bags generally have a higher capacity than a tank bag. I have an old (been using it for 5+ years) Fieldsheer bag that is very similar to Tour Master Select Tail Bag - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore. I used it on my cruiser but it works better on the 6R.

I also have a tank bag: Joe Rocket Manta Magnetic Tank Bag - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore. This was a gift. It is so tiny. I wish they would have bought the XL manta bag instead. The XL is double the size of the little one but you could never fit a laptop in it.

In any case, if you want to put a laptop and a few books in a bag I go with a tail bag. Mine bungees on and I can remove it and attach the carrying strap to take it with me. I think the tail bag looks fine when I use it. It sits on the passenger seat. On the other hand, I really don't care about tweaking looks in a motorcycle. My standards and desire for what looks "cool" are low. I put on frame sliders, otherwise I am stock and I am happy with the way my FZ6R looks, whether or not I am riding with bags.

On another note, I feel a tail bag is safer and more comfortable (especially on hot days) than a backpack while you are riding. The backpack would be better if you have to walk long distances once you get to your destination. The shoulder strap helps with my tail bag but I would not want to walk a mile every day with it when it is heavily loaded. A backpack would be more comfortable for that.

P.S. I found the bag I use. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/71/2510/ITEM/Fieldsheer-Expander-Tail-Bag.aspx They don't make it anymore. If I had to replace it I think I would get http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/986/37504/ITEM/Givi-Silver-T477-Roll-Bag.aspx

Last edited:

abyss1406

Anybody looking for a Backpack check out Sand piper of California loads of space in those things and there comfortable. as far as luggage looks at GIVI bags.

DevlDog

So, I acquired some frame sLiders, and I have a question. Do I really need a torque wrench to put them on my bike? I read here and there about tightening the bolts that hold them in to OEM specs, is what's required able to be attained by hand tightening?

Cerebus

As long as you don't over-tighten, I'd think you'd be fine hand tightening. Just be sure to throw some blue locktite on bolts.

latony007

So, I acquired some frame sLiders, and I have a question. Do I really need a torque wrench to put them on my bike? I read here and there about tightening the bolts that hold them in to OEM specs, is what's required able to be attained by hand tightening?
I actually am lucky and have one of those neighbors that has like every tool made so I went and got one from him. because I was removing engine bolts I wanted to make sure I did as spec.