Fork Question

Slick

Greetings! I have an '09 FZ6R with just over 33k miles, and I have not had the forks serviced. I have noticed a decrease in front end feel, especially after mounting the Michelin Pilot Road 3's. The forks 'bounce' a bit and am thinking that it is mostly due to oil age. Will changing the fork oil make a noticeable difference? I ask because I have never changed fork oil on any bike I have had (this one is number 4.) Guess I never kept the others long enough to have to do it!
I was told to look into a fork internals upgrade, and have contacted a manufacturer about it, because they don't list our bike in their inventory. Is it worth $250 or so to get a new cartridge fork for the FZ6R?

I have been told that I ride aggressively, and viewing my tire wear certainly supports that thought. I love fast corners! Would YOU do a cartridge fork upgrade for your bike? Need more feedback while I save my pennies!

pkoko

I have never replaced fork seals or did any maintenance on them as my bikes are too new. But I was told by couple of riders, that if the forks are leaking then they need service. I was also told that if they bottom out over small bumps then they also need service. Service is normally fresh oil and replacing bad seals. I have never heard of anyone replacing the entire cartilage unless he/she wanted extra performance.

Getting upgraded fork cartilages is a good idea if you feel the bike is under-damped or over-damped bc of your weight. I recall the FZ6R being very well balanced in the dampening department. The FZ6R has very limited suspension adjustments. Even if the upgraded cartilages are of superior quality; you will hardly tell the difference. So I would not do it, unless my OEMs are badly worn out or damaged.

Getting upgraded suspension components (new forks & shocks) will allow you to dial the suspension better to your riding style. It will have more accurate and wider range of adjustments. It will make the bike more stable across bumpy corners and sudden changes of direction. It will allow you to adjust the bike from soft & compliant for street use to firm & responsive for track use. But if I were you, I would just upgrade to a more performance oriented bike with lots of suspension adjustment. Think of R6, CBR600RR, ZX-6, GSXR600/750 etc. You will get almost double the HP, upgraded fully adjustable suspension, and better brakes etc. It is a night and day difference.

Last edited:

NMdesertracer

I wouldnt bother putting a cartridge in the front forks. I would get new oil,fork seals and fork bushings upper and lower. Most people overlook getting new fork bushings. I dont know what weight oil is in the front guessing 5wt probably just go up like to 7wt. From working on Showa and KYB twin chamber forks the fz6r's are easy as pie to take apart..

FastFreddy

I went to a 10W oil on the fork once my fork started getting bad with the old oil. The forks initially felt softer than the stock old oil after changing. The fork will move a lot more consistently with new oil. The front wheel was often leaving the road surface with the old fork oil. So it moves well now and is slightly firmer.

If you were going to get cartridges for the forks, then you'd probably want to get the Ohlins shock from England at the same time, otherwise you'd have "you beaut" forks but a normal rear shock. Then you'd be out of balance and it would be hard to turn.

Note : I've seen Ohlins shocks available in England specifically for the XJ6 one make racing series.

Slick

Thanks! I forgot to look into th XJ6 nomenclature. Ohlins listed nothing for the FZ6R, and now I know why!

Slick

Upgrading the forks by replacing the bike would certainly do the trick, but I truly enjoy the FZ6R. Though it certainly would be great to have a new Triumph... or even the R6... but I don't have the income for those. My bike is paid for (finally) and I plan to keep it until the end (bitter or otherwise.)

buzzbomb

Elite Member

pkoko

Upgrading the forks by replacing the bike would certainly do the trick, but I truly enjoy the FZ6R. Though it certainly would be great to have a new Triumph... or even the R6... but I don't have the income for those. My bike is paid for (finally) and I plan to keep it until the end (bitter or otherwise.)
I totally understand where you are coming from, but before you invest $2k in the FZ6R suspension. Go and test drive a super sport. You will realize that the $2k can be invested into something way better with more power, better brakes, and better suspension. Look at used bikes. There are bargains to be had even on dealer lots. Dealer want to reduce inventory and the FZ6R is a great entry level sport bike which dealers love to take on trade. Used entry level sport bikes sellout very quickly on dealer lots. Most beginning riders will look for one thus the lack of Ninja 250/300s on most dealers used lots. The FZ6R is the next step up. I traded my bike very easily last season with good offers from different dealers. Try your luck before investing money in the FZ6R.

Last edited:

Slick

I tend run a little bit higher than your suggestions: 38 front and 40 rear. I am a stocky fella (read short and heavy - or fluffy if you will) and notice a difference when the front is low. It doesn't want to shift side-to-side as well, and feels heavy on turn-in. I have switched to running nitrogen, and the air pressure is more consistent and stable. As every road around where I live is mountainous, good turn in is paramount if I want to make it home on the bike.

Slick

As much as I would love to have another bike in the arsenal, it just isn't possible right now. Though I am getting as much performance as I can handle with my FZ6R, I think that better performance potential with a super-sport will certainly get me in trouble. If not with the law of the land, I would certainly hate to get on the bad side of gravity, inertia, centripetal and centrifugal force. The Dragon bites hard, and I pride myself on being able to make it home every day. I know it will happen, I just don't want it to be 100% pilot error!

Bert-Aus

I tend run a little bit higher than your suggestions: 38 front and 40 rear. I am a stocky fella (read short and heavy - or fluffy if you will) and notice a difference when the front is low. It doesn't want to shift side-to-side as well, and feels heavy on turn-in. I have switched to running nitrogen, and the air pressure is more consistent and stable. As every road around where I live is mountainous, good turn in is paramount if I want to make it home on the bike.
Lower your tire pressures and you will have better grip,
the side wall only moves a slight bit.
By running with higher pressures actually reduces grip!

Manual states 33psi Front and 36psi rear.
If you want better, reliable grip lower that to
31psi Front/ 33psi Rear (ensure this is done at cold tire temps!)

Chucker

For $300 you can get Race Tech springs, front and back, that match your weight. I upgraded all 3 springs and put 15W oil in the forks. Makes a world of difference. I consider this to be the best mod I've done to my bike.

When I do track days, I drop my tire pressure to about 28 psi. I'm 6'2" and 195lb. The tires heat up quick and I get great grip. Mind you I'm not running touring tires - Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIs.

Slick

For those who have yet to do a track day, how do feel these mods have affected the daily riding feel?

-Slick

p.s. - Thanks for the tip on Race Tech!

Chucker

I immediately noticed a marked improvement on the street. I set my rear preload at 4, and it rides smooth without bottoming. I have no dive while braking. The bike never pitches around and is very solid in turns, even higher speeds on ramps. I would definitely do this for the street (minus lowering the tire pressure), even if there were no track days in my future.

milepig

For $300 you can get Race Tech springs, front and back, that match your weight. I upgraded all 3 springs and put 15W oil in the forks. Makes a world of difference. I consider this to be the best mod I've done to my bike.

---snip---

Additionally you could also consider installing RT Emulators. We installed them on my wifes 6r and sprung it to her weight. Not to expensive a route to take...

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/racetech-fork-mod-18877/?highlight=emulators

Chucker

---snip---

Additionally you could also consider installing RT Emulators. We installed them on my wifes 6r and sprung it to her weight. Not to expensive a route to take...

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/racetech-fork-mod-18877/?highlight=emulators
I considered cartridge emulators when I did mine, but the tech at a dealer told me to try just the springs and oil first, as he thought it would be enough. I took his advice, realizing there was a risk I would have to take my forks apart a second time, but thought it was a risk worth taking. I have been so happy with my bike since I did the springs and oil, I decided the emulators weren't needed. I suspect they would make it even better, but I have no complaints now, so was happy to save the dough.