Fork extension caps?

bobjohnson

I'm looking to add clipons to my fz6r, but I'm not a huge fan of lowering the front end or cutting up the plastics to get them under the triple clamp. Does anyone know of a place I can order fork extension caps? I tried searching around but it doesnt seem like anyone is making them specifically for the fz6r, maybe another bike has forks with the same size and thread pitch for the cap?

Just an observation but I can't image anyone selling a screw in stanchion extension for the risk OR being liable for your crash when it unscrews.

Torque for the cap is like 11ft/lbs. No way it would stay tight and I wouldnt trust locktite.

Maybe someone makes a clipon riser?? Sounds defeating tho!

JM2C

bobjohnson

Lots of people make them, theyre a popular addon for cruisers because guys will bring the forks up 3-4 inches to get a longer rake in the front. In that application I wouldnt trust them but as a mount point for clipons? I cant see putting that much pressure on the bars themselves to break them loose, and yeah I would red loctite them because they wont be coming off any time soon. Even if I could reduce the necessary drop in the front something like 1/4" to 1/2" and clamp the clipons around the joint between caps and fork, it would be a lot better than a 1.75" drop in the front.

Worst case scenario I will get a custom shop to make them for me, but I was hoping to find something pre-made so I dont have to pay for custom fab work.

Chucker

Use an FZ1 bar. It'll be the same height as clip-ons and you don't have lower the front end. Plus you'll save a bunch of $$$.

I wouldn't trust my bars attached to an extension, but maybe I'm just a chicken sh!t. All the pressure exerted forwards on the right bar would be trying to unscrew it.

eNigma17

Lots of people make them, theyre a popular addon for cruisers because guys will bring the forks up 3-4 inches to get a longer rake in the front. In that application I wouldnt trust them but as a mount point for clipons? I cant see putting that much pressure on the bars themselves to break them loose, and yeah I would red loctite them because they wont be coming off any time soon. Even if I could reduce the necessary drop in the front something like 1/4" to 1/2" and clamp the clipons around the joint between caps and fork, it would be a lot better than a 1.75" drop in the front.

Worst case scenario I will get a custom shop to make them for me, but I was hoping to find something pre-made so I dont have to pay for custom fab work.
Popular for cruisers... That's probably why they don't exist for most sports bikes. -- If you were to make custom fab just for it, you might as well save the time and energy and just lower the front. With that said, many people lowered the front and so far have not heard any issues, the other way around on the other hand, that might be a different story.... Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:

bobjohnson

Thats why im wondering if any cruisers have the same size bolt with the same thread pitch, maybe another yamaha cruiser? Then I can just get the extension caps for that bike rather than having to get them fabbed.

If there was anyone making a steering stabilizer for this bike id be less concerned about lowering the front, but no one makes those either.

Think about this:
If for example your clip on were 12" long (keep following) and you apply 12lbs of force, you just unscrewed the extension...

Realistically lets say triple the torque to 33ft/lbs and used 6" clipons. You are now at 66ft/lbs of force needed to unscrew them. With loctite you may be ok but I would never ride that bike. Your gonna crash if that ever breaks free. Just not worth it IMO....

davet7469

I've actually been looking into this myself and i saw a few different options. One is lowering the front end to place wood craft clip on 1.5 inch risers that would allow clearance. Danmoto also makes adjustable riser clip ons that will fit the bike and is a little bit cheaper. I saw another post of yzf600 thundercat forks and calipers on a fz6r. The forks are longer and will stick up, so i am guessing you could just put clip ons at the top without lowering it lower than the original height. Plus there would be a suspension and brake upgrade, but a lot of work and money. Cutting the fairings is what i want to do, but i cant figure out a good way around the whole irreversible experiment that would make the inner panels useless and what would i put to replace those inner panels without looking like a hack job.

schlosser87

If you cut the fairings, please show.
I've thought about it.

I'll put a clip on that i've buy on ebay too, but is chinese model. It don't fit like woodcraft, but apparently is ok (i've don't put yet).
It is very angled, so i have do think how to don't touch the fairing.