for long distance rides

latony007

New windshield - check!

Power port - on my list of things to do

SMH10R - I've got a few plus and minus about it. Overall love it, but at highway speeds you gotta crank it full blast and MAYBE you hear it. Even if you don't, it will fatigue you faster. I just ordered the little adapter to use earbuds with it. SMH10R + phone GPS = win!
power port is a good one, if you have a batter tender you can buy a little thing that plugs into the tender cable and you can charge pretty much any USB device from it, maybe $20. if you dont have a battery tender, get one :)

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Last edited:

Danno

I just did a bit over 3K to Denver, down through north Texas and back up on Rt66 in OK and MO and part of IL. A few things I added made quite a difference:
The MRA x-creen touring windscreen was probably the best money I spent. It cut the wind in the face dramatically. I used a full set on Givi bags plus a Wolfman Expedition dry bag for camping equipment.

The bike did fantastic even with all the weight I was carrying. 70 - 75 was a sane and comfortable speed to hold on Interstates and 80+ was there if I wanted it at any time. The biggest problem I had was with wicked crosswinds. But that's a problem to deal with on any bike; you just have to slow down and muscle through it.

Gas mileage was generally 50-ish unless I horsed it in wind and hills; I think the lowest I got was around 41-ish.

And, as usual, the weakest link is the damned stock seat. I wish bike engineers and designers would start putting good seats on these bikes. They invest tons of money in electronic / technological gizmos and gadgets and then put a $15 seat on it. I used a BikeCushion.com pad (similar to an Air Hawk, but much cheaper) and that helped some, but the real solution is an upgraded seat.

latony007

will know tonight... came in the mail today at work and installed, getting ready to head out... of course, the one day I forget my rain suit, wife says it's thundering and pouring at home... eh... been a long time riding "naked" in the rain

... EDIT - I had no issues. could hear wife at hwy speed no problem, music is a bit shy on bass, but I never really listened at high volumes with earbuds, so just enough for me
i have built in, a torc t12 and vcan 136 (jafrum has a new one DOT/ECE for 110$) and i never have problems hearing music. Just make sure your phone volume is up all the way and then i usually have to wind up turning the helmet volume down a bit from full. Calls are a bit tougher but i rarely make calls, use it mostly for music and the GPS is a life saver. Nothing worse than trying to read signs or figure out where your going on a bike.

The_Commodore

thanks for the help guys.

already checked out the puig on my friends bike and it is awesome; reduces the buzzing and buffeting will probably add a clip on just to see how it does.

I've noticed with the two bros exhaust that it vibrates more so maybe weighted bar ends or a bar snake, we'll see as the date nears, still have til Sept to get all these.

but yeah thanks! :D

engineered2win

New windshield - check!

Power port - on my list of things to do

SMH10R - I've got a few plus and minus about it. Overall love it, but at highway speeds you gotta crank it full blast and MAYBE you hear it. Even if you don't, it will fatigue you faster. I just ordered the little adapter to use earbuds with it. SMH10R + phone GPS = win!
I have the SMH10R on my LS2 full face helmet and it's brilliant. My buddy and I both agree it is the single best motorcycle upgrade that enhances the experience; even better than the exhaust. The intercom works great and it's extremely useful being able to communicate without idiotic hand gestures that no one really understands. I always wear ear plugs and the volume is plenty loud enough on the highway when streaming music from my phone.

I just installed a single port USB charger and RAM X-mount on my 6R. The X-mount is great for holding a phone or GPS securely. Unfortunately I didn't function test the USB charger before mounting and wiring it, so I have to rip it all out now and ship it back for a replacement.

I still need to improve the seat and get a throttle lock. I've tried the cramp buster, but it hits the tank when you make a tight right turn. I bought a CAT o-ring that is very popular, but there is too large of a gap between the bar end and throttle tube. It works fantastic on my buddy's FZ09 however.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

latony007

Sena is awesome and glad I got my smh5 (with smh10 speaker upgrade), but not better then my Viper exhaust. I do use Spotify every time I ride though. Can't ride without my tunes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Its amazing to me how quickly that became a necessity. i pretty much hate riding without my bluetooth now but ive always been one of those people that needs the or radio playing for background noise. For all you guys with the stock seats search threads for dirt road custom

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Pascal

Hi Danno,

Do you change the position of your X-creen or do you leave it in the same position all the time?
Any pics?

Thanks,

latony007

I'm late to the party, but here's my 2c: Steel Butt. Simple time in the saddle. Lots of it. When I first got my 6r, after a couple hours or so in the saddle it was all owwies and cramps.

That was a few years ago. My longest single day-ride to date was eleven hours or so. That was after a year of ownership. I was still sore and stiff when I hopped off when finally reaching home. Even a couple hours or so from home at my last fuel stop, truth be told.

Now? Tank to tank, no problem. (Though I usually stop mid-way for a smoke and coffee.) Six to eight hours tank to tank is tough, but not nearly as tough as when I first got the bike. Just some walking around at the gas station, and I'm ready to hop back on.

I'm 46. My biggest problem now is leg cramps when I first start a ride. After I work them out it's the ankles hurting after a couple of hours. Still no biggie.

As for the seat? On a sport bike, I want my backside to feel what's going on with the bike. I don't want my legs spread wide from a plush seat. I don't want my butt higher and my center of gravity raised, even a little bit. It's a sport bike. I ride it that way. If I wanted a cruiser, I'd get one.

I'm not busting on anybody, and the 6r is a glorious compromise between a true-sport and a standard or cruiser. That's one of the reasons I love it.

But the seat? More comfy is not necessarily better. Steel Butt works! :D
to each his own. as you get up there comfort becomes more important i htink lol. But you should try the dirt road custom mod, i dont see any difference in my "connection" to the bike. The change is that i just dont notice the seat bugging me anymore. If you can ride tank to tank on the stock seat you would be able to go weeks on anything else lol.

VRIIClubby

everyone raises more or less the same points and issues!

I live in the middle of nowhere so all my rides are long!

essentials in order;
1. Quality riding gear and quality helmet, the less wind noise the better!
2. Better screen (I run a double bubble, 6ft3 & it helps heaps)
3. Heated grips - cant say this enough, even in warm climates these are a must have, running them around in summer @ 30% reduces fatigue in your hands and cramping. its normally 46c here in summer and I still have mine on;):D)
4. Throttle lock - I run a vista aswell, there are two types, go the slim one that slides between your (now heated grip! lol) and lever, if you have little petite lady hands the other style that goes over your grip works well.
5. Get a brighter bulb in your headlight or upgrade to HID.
6. SENA SMH10.....SENA SMH10 (maybe make this #1) awesome, is an undertatement, anyone that calls you has no idea your riding your bike, using Siri and your Nav is unreal easy, music, tons of other possibilities (radar detectors, UHF, CB etc can all be "hooked into the Sena...
7. luguage rack... Id recommend the Ventura range :D
8. Dual Compund touring tres - Angel GT, PR4's etc.

I haven't touched my seat and do 7 hour rides, I guess it depends how big a girl you are... (No offence to the ladies)

The_Commodore

Very comfortable after all!!

Hi guys! WOW! it's been 2 years since I got my 6R and all I can say is I wouldn't trade it for any other bike. I've been through a lot of long trips from 5H to almost 10H and it's quite comfortable compared to my friend's liter bikes, and the seat is just stock. Has enough power not to be left behind and still quite comfortable. Also looks sporty but sits upright, damn I wish they made a liter FZ6R. Have you guys seen the FZ-10? it's bad *** but don't really like the over all look of it. if they come out with an R version I may buy another bike. I also bought side, tail, and tank bags which made it a lot better hauling all those stuff for camping. I made the right decision buying the FZ! - especially when you live in Alberta!
Ciao, enjoy the summer!!

Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member
Last edited: