Flashing lights = first amendment

bmw675

It's not entrapment. The police are not forcing/inducing anyone to speed.
+1. I don't think I've agreed too many times with you, but I do this time. ;)

Okay if you say so. Didn't say I was speeding or condoning it. If the goal is to limit speeding then posting a sign saying speed traps in progress will force those traveling above the speed limit to slow down. The goal should be safely not making money. Why hide the patrol cars out of sight if the goal is to force people to travel the speed limit. The US missed on this one and the UK nailed it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Shouldn't the speed limit sign itself be enough warning. I think so.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

bmw675

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

tobymax

The first time someone flashed their lights at me, saving me from a sure ticket, i was ecstatic.
After reading the -legal- definition of obstruction of justice, i do believe that flashing your lights IS obstruction of justice. Now, would i stop doing it?...H.E.L.L No! I dont think about it around the right of free speech, for me is more about civil disobedience. Having said that, i dont see what is the big deal about LEO's being "revenue generators". To live in a society we need rules and we have to follow/accept them (and -obvioulsy- a way to change/transform the ones that are no longer applicable or not liked, thus the civil disobedience, voting, etc); if you break the rules, you should be punished. So, if i get a ticket for flashing my lights i will deal with it the same way i deal with a speeding ticket....pay it! and move on. If you know what is expected of you AND the consequences of your actions...then you/we shouldnt be complaining if/when busted.
I actually think LEO's generating revenue is a great idea; they educate us, penalize "risk takers"/stupidity, and lower my cost -when im not one of those risk takers- of government... that is a good deal in my book.

Brock Kickass

I think the problem with LEO's being revenue generators is the moral dilemma that ensues. If the motivation of the police is target driven, it has the potential to corrupt the enforcement of the law. Although most police officers wouldn't, there is a possibility that some officers might be pressured to lay charges that aren't warranted in order to meet their target. By not having a revenue based target, it allows officers to evaluate each situation from a common sense standpoint. Some times a warning is more effective or more beneficial in the long term. You never know when you might need a civilian to co-operate with you. Alienating the populous for the sake of a $75 speeding ticket is not the best way to build bridges in the community. I'm not saying all tickets are BS, quite the contrary in fact, but revenue based targets take away the times when a warning will suffice, and generally foster poor relations. Remember, traffic is a small part of police work. Sometimes people lose sight of the bigger picture.

tobymax

The last ticket i got i was doing 80 something on a 55 (highway). I was rocking out and didnt realize i was speeding. When i saw the trooper i immediately knew he was going to pull me over…he signal me to pull over and got on his bike ready to chase me down, he didn’t need to. I pulled to his side before he even started his bike. He asked me if I knew why he pulled me over and I said “Yes sir, I was speeding”. He was actually startled by my answered. He was very professional and respectful, didn’t sermon me about the speed or the risk. After the usual procedure (license, registration, etc) I asked if this could be a warning instead of a ticket. He said no, instead he told me he would lower my speed to only 6 over the limit saving me more than 200 bucks. I thanked him and we went our ways. I was very satisfied with how he –professionally- handled the situation and did not feel I was alienated, discriminated, or abused. I rule was broken, he did his job, and I paid the ticket.

...there is a possibility that some officers might be pressured to lay charges that aren't warranted in order to meet their target.
I’ve never thought of that before; you are right, it could affect some LEO’s. I’m now even more pro LEO’s generating revenue. Traffic is about the lowest in hierarchy in the duties of the LEO’s, they have to deal with drugs, thieves, rapist, etc, etc. If they have to forget their common sense, or even worse, make up charges so they can write a $75 ticket that will get them to that target… what can we expect of them when they are offer thousands of dollars to look the other way? What happens we they have a –real- moral dilemma? So if a LEO brings up charges that are not warranted in order to meet his quota then I say let him/her do it. The people affected by his/her abuse will complain about it and the LEO, in time, will no longer be a LEO.
We all, in one way or another, have quotas and targets that we need to meet in our jobs. And we all know of people that cheat and game the system to meet those targets. Just because I have a target, and that I know that others cheat at them, it does not make me want to cheat. We all have a job to do, rules to follow; cheaters and thieves will always be, well, cheaters and thieves.
Oh, and I do not see why one can –or should- get alienated when caught breaking the rules.
Cheers.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member