Fix-a-flat on my 6R?

Ivan_13

So I was out in a date with this girl I'm seeing, that I'm really digging. On my way to pick her up, I noticed my bike was handling just a bit funky. I brushed it off, blaming the the stupid freeway I was on. I picked her up, and we were on our way. On our way, I noticed it got a little worse. I brushed it off again, blaming the stupid CA-22 freeway, and the extra bit of weight from my passenger. We got to where I was taking her, I parked, and we were off. Once we came back, we geared up again, and off we went, on our way to a restaurant. As soon as I pulled away, I felt a crazy loss of stability in the rear. I immediately pulled over, and looked.

My tire was flat. I rode to the gas station that was about a quarter of a block away. Inspecting the tire, I found a nail in there, with a small leak.desperate, I went into the 7-11, and bought a can of fix a flat. Yes, I know its not supposed to be used on a bike. Yes, I know it doesn't settle evenly, and can hurt your balance. Yes, I know it can screw up your tire/wheel. I work all day tomorrow, and can't get my bike to a shop. So it'll have to wait till Tuesday.

I'm basically ranting, because I'm so mad. Anybody have any advice to give?

The date itself, in case you're wondering, went really well regardless.:)

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Deathdiesel

Why are you mad? You went on a date that went well. You rode, two up no less, on a freeway and got a flat tire and not only didn't kill yourself, but you didn't even crash. You should be thankful, I think.
Hes got a bit of a point here man. :D Count your blessings, buy a new tire.

bmw675

So I was out in a date with this girl I'm seeing, that I'm really digging.
<snip>
:picsorstfu:

;)

yillbs

So I was out in a date with this girl I'm seeing, that I'm really digging. On my way to pick her up, I noticed my bike was handling just a bit funky. I brushed it off, blaming the the stupid freeway I was on. I picked her up, and we were on our way. On our way, I noticed it got a little worse. I brushed it off again, blaming the stupid CA-22 freeway, and the extra bit of weight from my passenger. We got to where I was taking her, I parked, and we were off. Once we came back, we geared up again, and off we went, on our way to a restaurant. As soon as I pulled away, I felt a crazy loss of stability in the rear. I immediately pulled over, and looked.

My tire was flat. I rode to the gas station that was about a quarter of a block away. Inspecting the tire, I found a nail in there, with a small leak.desperate, I went into the 7-11, and bought a can of fix a flat. Yes, I know its not supposed to be used on a bike. Yes, I know it doesn't settle evenly, and can hurt your balance. Yes, I know it can screw up your tire/wheel. I work all day tomorrow, and can't get my bike to a shop. So it'll have to wait till Tuesday.

I'm basically ranting, because I'm so mad. Anybody have any advice to give?

You shouldn't use fix-a-flat. It doesn't settle evenly, it can also hurt your balance. Not to mention it can just screw your tire.

:zombie:

xleeb0y13x

Sounds like a win when you think about it. I mean really the other way around sounds worse. "I went on a date and my bike was great, but my date got a nail in her so I pumped her full of fix a flat."

But really at least it's just a tire and there were no real issues.

Sent from the second bathroom stall to the left.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

yillbs

Fix-a-flat and the like are only recommended as something to get you off the side of the road and to the tire shop. yillbs is right, it throws the balance of a car tire way off, I would think being on a motorcycle this is an even greater concern.

Go get a new tire now. Have your bike ready for date #2
Lol yes its right. But I was more or less just poking fun at him. Good sport he is :)

OP said he was aware of the issues with fix a flat and used it in an emergrncy situation. Anyway like others have said I think you did we'll. I bet you got some bonus point with her by being able to fix the problem yourself. Women like that. It will make a memorable date. Thumbs up.

abyss1406

regardless of what ever maybe the proper way to take care of the situation, i think you did a stand up job and managed to have a good time. soo good on you man

latony007

Sounds like a win when you think about it. I mean really the other way around sounds worse. "I went on a date and my bike was great, but my date got a nail in her so I pumped her full of fix a flat."

But really at least it's just a tire and there were no real issues.

Sent from the second bathroom stall to the left.
That was funny. They are right you should be happy, especially if she didn't get all pissy about having a flat.

Ivan_13

Thanks guys.:) Yeah, everything worked out just fine. We got some dinner afterwards, walked around the pier, and I even got the kiss! Several of them.:cool: This girl is definitely a keeper.

Has anyone else on here used fix a flat on their bike? Any nasty side-effects? I'm getting a long overdue set of tires first thing in the morning.

FastFreddy

You could be forgiven for not checking the tyres and chain as you approach the bike if you are on a date.

I've fixed a tyre a few times. It's not a good feeling. You'll be feeling extra squirm and wobble and you'll get that sick feeling guys get when something is wrong with their baby (the car or bike). You'll be like that guy in the Snickers advert pretty soon and a ***** to work with until you get a new tyre. I know these things, I've been a guy for a while now. There should be a section for motorbike tires in the Bro Code or something to warn us of this malady.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

linkgt

Hes got a bit of a point here man. :D Count your blessings, buy a new tire.

THIS

It could've been worse. You could've gotten to her house, watch a movie, and when the movie ended, the girls flips to tv to watch honey boo boo. You ask her if she seriously watches that show, and she smiles and says yes...

In case you're wondering, yes, this happened to me. Needless to say, I walked away and never looked back.

Ivan_13

THIS

It could've been worse. You could've gotten to her house, watch a movie, and when the movie ended, the girls flips to tv to watch honey boo boo. You ask her if she seriously watches that show, and she smiles and says yes...

In case you're wondering, yes, this happened to me. Needless to say, I walked away and never looked back.
Oh wow..

Well I bought a brand new set of tires this morning.. Dunlop roadsmart 2's. $330 installed. Did I get jipped.?

12fz6rblack

Oh wow..

Well I bought a brand new set of tires this morning.. Dunlop roadsmart 2's. $330 installed. Did I get jipped.?
Thats not bad I got the dunlop Q2s for $384 installed