First service DIY

Qrider682

My first service is coming up @600miles. I called dealer and they wanted $230 for it. It looks like an oil change and a checkup. I plan to do it myself to save some money. I ordered from Amazon the following and a pack of crush washer from Ebay. Anything else I need to perform this 1st service?

P.s. riding season will be ending in a month or two, Can someone recommend a battery tender to me? I will be storing the bike in a garage. Thanks in advance!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E2CVI8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: K&N KN-204 Motorcycle/Powersports High Performance Oil Filter: Automotive[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MISDH4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Castrol 06078 Power RS 10W-40 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil - 1 Quart Bottle, (Pack of 6): Automotive[/ame]

Bert-Aus

Yes you can do it yourself,
however for WARANTY purposes just pay them to do it for peace of mind later on should anything go wrong

xinu

I use this type of charger to maintain my batteries during the off-season.
Yuasa Batteries - Chargers & Testers

Unless a warranty issue arises or unexplained quirk pops up, I plan on doing my first service as well. I will buy Yamalube and keep the receipt. Yes it's more $s than other perhaps higher quality oils on the market but if there is a warranty issue I can show that I used Yamaha's recommended oil and filter. I'll switch to synthetic after that.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Qrider682

you'll need to check the chain slack, if it needs adjusting, you'll need a 22mm socket, if I remember right...

also make sure you have a good torque wrench, want to check a few bolts.

and one of these works fine... charges and falls back to float mode once charged: Amazon.com : Deltran Battery Tender Jr 12v Maintainer Charger 12 Volt Trickle Junior 021-0123 : Boating Battery Chargers : Sports & Outdoors

if you haven't gotten stands yet, get them, rear stand you'll need paddles, or to install spools (no options for screw in, have to get clamp on type) and a front triple tree stand... easy to store the bike up off the ground for winter and makes maintenance easier...

Thanks!! I have a good torque wrench. I also have a Pitbull rear stand from my last bike. Can you show me which triple tree stand is compatible or any triple tree stand will do?

I am not worrying about warranty issue. Most bike has only 1 year warranty. I am in NY, the riding season is almost over. When 1 year come around next summer, I probably have 2000 miles on the bike. Can't see what can go wrong. 1st service is just oil change and basic checkup. I bet the dealer just change the oil and do a quick look and send me on my way.

Qrider682

I use this type of charger to maintain my batteries during the off-season.
Yuasa Batteries - Chargers & Testers

Unless a warranty issue arises or unexplained quirk pops up, I plan on doing my first service as well. I will buy Yamalube and keep the receipt. Yes it's more $s than other perhaps higher quality oils on the market but if there is a warranty issue I can show that I used Yamaha's recommended oil and filter. I'll switch to synthetic after that.
Yamalube All Purpose 4 Four Stroke Oil 10W 40 1 Gallon | eBay

Is this the Yamalube you talking about?

xinu

^^^ Yep looks identical to what is listed on Yamy's web site.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

xinu

Triple tree stand vs fork stand

Are there any key advantages to a triple tree verses a fork stand?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

xinu

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Last edited:

xinu

that's like the one I have, I did still have to order the 21mm pin though and ordered one that did not work in the stand, had to re-order (50/50 chance to get the right "style"), so just check with them to see which 21mm pin will work as the standard sizes don't generally have it.

fwiw, this is the pin I had to get: Amazon.com: 21mm Motorcycle Race Stand Pin: Rage Powersports: Automotive

just make sure you get the pin for that stand (can't remember, but I think I have the black widow, not the venom)
Obviously I've never used a triple tree stand. I envisioned the pin somehow inserted in hole at the base of the triple tree after removing the rubber plug. Now I'm thinking not.

When does the pin go? :eek: and I suppose size matters in this case?

Unfortunately in Canada I have to use amazon.ca and they don't have 'em. amazon.com doesn't ship to Canada (a foreign country eh).

Did a further search and found a utube on the subject and now it's clear.
If I can't easily obtain a 21mm pin I'll try adding another 3 mm to the 18 mm pin that comes with the stand.

Update:

I got a tip from another forum to use a deep 1/2" socket with an outer diameter of <=21mm and grind the 13mm pin that comes with the stand to fit into the 1/2" receiver and bob's your uncle. I have a 5/8" long barrel socket with an outer diameter of 20.75mm. There is a small amount of play but I don't think it will do any harm.

Thanks for the help on this.

Greg

Last edited:

Zien19

I live in Canada too! Just go to your local dealer and order it out of the motovan book. You will have no problem ordering a stand and the 21mm pin.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2

Qrider682

UPDATE!

I did the oil change today. If this is your first service, make sure you got a tool/plan to take out the oil filter. It's screwed in HARD from the factory. There was not much room to work with either. I was going to drill and hole and use a screwdriver like some people here. Then I remembered someone mentioned a small filter wrench from Advance auto. I got that and it's still a ***** cuz of how little room to work with. I jacked up the bike on my rear stand and finally got it off from the bottom using the wrench. Probably spend an hour getting that POS off. Once that is off, the rest is a piece of cake.

Got a K&N filter with a nut on top. Then 2nd oil change will be easy as 1,2,3.

latony007

i always use K&N now after having a 2 hour fight to remove the filter from my cruiser i said never again. The nut on the K&N makes it take about 2 minutes. Why everyone doesnt put the nut on i have no idea. Some conspiracy to help sell stupid filter wrenches. I did overpay the dealer for that first service but what i really wanted them checking was their assembly. I bought a new sport bike because i wanted peace of mind so i let them do the first service to check everything over then i did the 2nd one on my own. I recommend Castrol 4T full synthetic over the yamalube. Mobil one is awesome too just a few $ more than the castrol.

Qrider682

i always use K&N now after having a 2 hour fight to remove the filter from my cruiser i said never again. The nut on the K&N makes it take about 2 minutes. Why everyone doesnt put the nut on i have no idea. Some conspiracy to help sell stupid filter wrenches. I did overpay the dealer for that first service but what i really wanted them checking was their assembly. I bought a new sport bike because i wanted peace of mind so i let them do the first service to check everything over then i did the 2nd one on my own. I recommend Castrol 4T full synthetic over the yamalube. Mobil one is awesome too just a few $ more than the castrol.
I thought about taking it to the dealership for the 1st service. I took my last bike to the dealership for 1st service. They were suppose to check everything and do an oil change. It took them 1 hour and 15mins and I was charged $210. I doubt they "carefully" check anything. They probably change the oil and take a quick look and send me on my way. They make a mess and left oil on exhaust. I can smell it burning on the way home LOL.

On the Fz6R, I carefully checked every item on the 600 miles service. I trust myself more than I trust the dealership to do the job. Sooner or later, I will have to take the bike to the dealership since I can't do some of the more difficult jobs on the maintenance list.

lark

I thought about taking it to the dealership for the 1st service. I took my last bike to the dealership for 1st service. They were suppose to check everything and do an oil change. It took them 1 hour and 15mins and I was charged $210.
While negotiating my purchase for a new 2013 fz6r the salesmen repeatedly tried to sell me an extended warranty or dealer maintenance package. He told me the 1st service (600 mile) required special tools and is a $500 ticket. I could not help but making a face at him.

Spoke with a local independent motorcycle race shop and the owner sent me the links to buy the "special tools" needed to do the service myself and quoted me at under $200. I hate dealers for these reasons.

Qrider682

While negotiating my purchase for a new 2013 fz6r the salesmen repeatedly tried to sell me an extended warranty or dealer maintenance package. He told me the 1st service (600 mile) required special tools and is a $500 ticket. I could not help but making a face at him.

Spoke with a local independent motorcycle race shop and the owner sent me the links to buy the "special tools" needed to do the service myself and quoted me at under $200. I hate dealers for these reasons.
Care to share the special tools with us? ;)