First ride tomorrow

SeggyGuy

So after months of prep and leg work, I am picking up my bike tomorrow after work. I have to be honest and say I am a little nervous about the ride home. My only time on a bike is what I had in my MSF BRC course. So I'm asking for any and all advice you guys and gals here can give me. I would really appreciate it, the ride is roughly 25 mins if I take all highway, and about 40-50 mins if I take the back roads. All input is welcome.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

yellowFZ6r

My advice would be to take back roads at slower speeds. I remember the first time I took the highway the wind and speed was a little overwhelming, but it passes quickly with experience. The back roads will allow you to concentrate better on your riding and god forbid if something were to happen it would be at significantly lower speeds. Everyone is different in their learning and confidence, but no matter what you will be just fine. Enjoy the ride!!

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

DakinechicK

I agree 100% with Greg. He basically took the words right out of my mouth...
:postwhore:

If you do ride it home, PLEASE be CAREFUL!!

SeggyGuy

All sound advice, only glitch is the road in front of my house is a major road, 45 MPH speed limit lol. So using that to get comfy without using a major road is kinda impossible. So it looks like all thats left to do, is to do it to it.

fltdriver

The place I bought mine from was happy to deliver it for free. Technically, I guess, they are still liable for any damage until you leave the lot. My buddy bought one a month ago and wanted to ride it home, they helped him push it across the street then he went on his merry way. Though, it may have been that he didn't have a license ATM.

6R Blackout

agreed

If you are to nervous don't ride it trailer it, but if its just a few butterflies then throw a leg over a take the back roads. Just ride safe and remember what you learned in the MSF course!:noworries:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

3leggeddog

I trailered my bike home the first time. Sales guy was nice enough to loan me one of the ATV trailers they sold and then tied the bike down for me. If you can do that, I highly recommend it, especially if you're not used to riding it. If that's not an option then I agree with everyone else...take the back roads, have someone follow you, and be careful.

cdsdave

I got the dealer to deliver mine for free even though I have been riding a tw200 on trails and street for 4 years. I was thinking about riding it the 60 miles home and I am glad I decided not to. Getting familiar with the brakes, clutch, and throttle would be much safer done in a controlled environment without much if any traffic. An empty parking lot would be a good place to start. If you do ride it home I would take the back roads and pull into the first empty parking lot I found to get familiar with it. Be careful making turns from a dead stop, a skill that takes practice to do well. Use the clutch to control acceleration so you don't find yourself picking up more speed than you want as you pull away from a stop while making a turn. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Most accidents happen on bikes the rider has been on 6 months or less.

Detrich

i also agree with greg. but, if u have to ride it home, please have someone follow u in a car to create a buffer zone. ride safely, be alert, be confident, and don't think too much. :)

RoadTrip

Had mine delivered, I was scared and concerned about the 40 mile ride home on either unfamiliar backroads or the high speed interstate. Once in my possession at the house, I became comfortable quickly, however it still took me a couple of weeks of practice around my neighborhood before I rode it out of town on my first backroad excursion. I had taken the MSF prior to purchasing, but we goofed around in a parking lot for 2 days on a 250, big difference out on the road, I didn't even figure out countersteering until a week in.

buzzbomb

Elite Member