First oil change... Synthetic oil suggestions?

Hi guys,
I am coming up on my first oil change. I want to use rotella t6 5w-40 synthetic oil. Is this a good option, or are there better oils for my bike out there? Thanks

latony007

Hi guys,
I am coming up on my first oil change. I want to use rotella t6 5w-40 synthetic oil. Is this a good option, or are there better oils for my bike out there? Thanks
i used Castrol Full Synthetic 4T motorcycle oil and could definitely notice a smoother shifting, plus got a 6 pack for 44$ including shipping off Amazon. Everyone has an opinion on what type though, im sure if you search oil you will get a million threads.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

acco205

Weight should not be a matter of opinion. Bearing and ring tolerances are set with a certain viscosity of lubrication in mind. There are only a few weights that should be used and changing is determined by the conditions (oils perform differently at different temperatures). IIRC yamaha has 10w40 spec'd for MOST conditions, but I would have to check.

Rotella is a good oil; I personally use Amsoil in all of my vehicles as they are a sponsor of mine (auto racing). Anything good quality and meant to work with a wet clutch should be fine, but using the correct weight is important and you will see no benefit from straying, only increased wear over time due to poor lubrication.

(should be noted before anyone tries to say otherwise, thicker oil won't penetrate bushings/bearings/rings as well, so too thick is just as bad as too thin.)

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

latony007

Agreed, manual says 10w40, but think there is another weight listed. It depended on ambient temp. I run 10w40 in some chilly 40 degree Temps up to 100+ with no issues. Have to say that switching to full synthetic made a huge difference though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
i cant remember what the Yamaha manual said I put in 10w-40 but in my cruiser the other option was 20w-50 if you lived in high temp areas. Since the Castrol Vtwin specific oil was 20w-50 and I do live in a hotter area I went with that.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Brock Kickass

Whoa, wait... you're supposed to CHANGE the oil? Why, does it go stale or something? Every time I check mine there's lots in there, so it's not like it's going anywhere...

jarshie

Whoa, wait... you're supposed to CHANGE the oil? Why, does it go stale or something? Every time I check mine there's lots in there, so it's not like it's going anywhere...
yes, as a matter of fact it can go stale! gotta taste it to see if its good or not

in regards to the OP, I recommend sticking with the OE specified weight of 10w40. However the manual does list several different weights that the bike can take. Unfortunately i stuck with the yamalube 10w40 non-syn, as i was having shifting issues and was recommended to stay with the OE oil, just so they couldnt try to get out of warranty with a non OE oil (doubt they would take that route, but hard to say with some places). My next oil change, will def be synthetic though.

Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member