First mistake - Chipping paint

Never2fast

Yesterday was one of the most saddening days for the 6r...

I was going for a quick ride and the way my garage is set up my dads bike (along with 2 others) are all lined up next to each other. As I was pulling mine out his break lever caught the top end of the tank and chipped a nice little line right on top.

I was planning on buying some touch-up paint and maybe having help me fix it up a bit.

Anyone know where I find OEM paint or any other suggestions?

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

SpawnXX

Premium Member

SpawnXX

Premium Member

Detrich

U can also do a custom order with Dr. Color Chip by providing the Yamaha paint code from Color Rite and the make/model/year of the motorcycle.

They'll custom mix a small batch based on the paint code, so u don't have to deal with all the base layer BS that Color Rite puts us through, which honestly I find rather difficult to apply when touching stuff up.

www.drcolorchip.com

Detrich

Just try the touch-up paint first. Believe it or not, once ur bike is broken in etc u'll stop obsessing over the little battle scars. A re-paint is a bigger pain I'd imagine.

Color rite is a good option, but applying their base layer + top coat just for touch-ups is kinda time consuming and frustrating to me. I get tons of little rock chips on my lower fairing and there's no way I have time to dot all the base coat chips just to dot them all again with the top coat. I tried it and it drove me crazy.- not to mention difficult to get right.

I ordered the Dr Color Chip kit and will try that. They claim to have an easy 3 step- ie touch-up, smear, and wipe touch up method that's quick and easy.

Detrich

check this out... looks pretty cool:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4rmx5EmsKY&feature=player_embedded]Dr. ColorChip demo on road rash at BMW Oktoberfest 2010 - YouTube[/ame]

latony007

so bummed

I too had an incident last night. I have in my garage right now a susuki cruiser, a can am spyder rt-s (storing for my brother) and my fz6r. I was going to face them forward so I could take a picture, my brother was calling it Berts Mini Mall (if anyone is from socal they will get that) anyway trying to turn it around in a tight spot I laid it down ever so gently. one tiny scratch on that lower corner of the fairing, and scratched the blinker but that was going to get the axe anyway. Anyway the base color and primary color for white especially seems ridiculous, the package is $60 and doesn't even include the base color so im very curious to see how your doctor chip thing comes out so let me know please.

ajones70

colorrite

Def colorrite. My hubby has the Fazor8 in purplish blue. Def worth getting the whole kit. Just be careful when you shake the pen though!! When hubby shook the blue pen the nib end fell off and we ended up with a beautiful purplish blue spot on the concrete garage floor :mad: which left him with barely enough in the pen to cover the chip out of the top of the gas tank...
Was very easy to do though....good luck!

pjmac5

If you are going to try to paint it and go through colorrite, make sure you buy the primer/paint/clear coat package. If you are going to do it, do it right.
If he is going to buy the pints and use a gun to spray it on, this is fine. If he is going to rattle can it, the Colorrite Clearcoat will come off the first time he gets gas on the tank. ONLY Spraymax 2k Clear out of a rattle can will work.

2K clear coat: Spraymax