first major upgrade

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

lark

No juicebox or anything yet, the exhaust was my Christmas gift! :-D the fiancée and his brother went in on it because the bike is so quiet they figured I'd get another attempted car murder like last time. I just like things that make sexy noises lol! Really just want some nice weather to get out and ride since I haven't ridden for 6 months, since the accident. I've only put about 50 miles on it myself, not into freezing my butt off! Once I get more seat time in with this bike, get comfy with the handling, going to plan more upgrades.

Side note, the fairing really makes this bike. Just not the same without it :) needs major work to look good naked.

Nmexico

I would say the best mod are best tires you can afford for the kind of riding you do. I would love some Pilot Powers 3 on mine right now. As for the exhaust, yeah its heck of quiet but I'm fine with it. Its feels like a quiet jet to me.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

lytehouse

Super Moderator
I love the way that fender eliminator looks lark, nice and clean.

Now when the weather warms up a bit, I hope you can get a pic to enter in BOTM ;) cause that is one sweet ride you have there!

p.s. yours too Scott!

Last edited:

lark

Thanks guys!

I really liked the fender elim and especially the less bulky turn signals. The M4 exhaust sounds really good so far, it was about 1030pm and 35 degrees when we finished so I didn't take it out. It was a little tricky per the instructions, it ended up sticking really far out and I thought it wasn't going to work because I would burn my leg.... after rereading the instructions and diagram a few times and comparing with pictures online, we adjusted the nuts holding the pipes on and were able to reposition it to be a better position. More flush with the rest of the set up of the back end. It was REALLY loud in the closed garage :)

Scott, I read the same, mixed reviews as to needing the power commander. I think I'll purchase one after a while. I plan to moto-commute to school as often as possible, so my mileage should be going up as soon as the weather is nicer. I do sometimes feel like I'm on a jet engine.... That throttle control skill is developing with me, the yamaha is way more responsive and aggressive than my poor little old Buell. When I drove directly behind the bike as we were bringing it home I could not hear it, i mean, windows were up but still it made me nervous to know that the car behind me couldn't even hear it unless directly on the throttle.

NMexico, what kind of tires do you run currently? I haven't thought much about it since my tires still have the colored stripes on em :D Perhaps I'll be able to get some pilots by the time I wear my current ones down.

Posting after pics from the phone now :D going to make a bid for BOTM once I can take it on a fun ride.

Attachments

Last edited:

lark

Also, for anyone considering this upgrade, it was really NOT a 2 person job. It's straightforward and easy, as long as you keep all the bolts separated :D the only thing needing a second pair of hands really was holding the pipes so I could use both hands to get the brackets screwed up

Nmexico

I have the BT021.
Not much of an opinion on them as I only have 410 miles on them and never rode in warm weather yet on them. The reviews on these are so mixed its just so confusing.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

lark

I would 2nd that, but did mine by myself. A second person would have made it easier for sure though. I used something to prop the headers on. First time there were leaks at the flanges so I loosened and retightened all the bolts. Been 2 years and no leaks. :), now's a good time to check while it's cold, because you can see the exhaust flow when it's cold. Congrats on the bike and mods. I've modded almost everything on mine so if you need any help or advice drop me a line.
Sure thing! Good to know about the leaks, thanks. Looking forward to a day off so I can HEAR it :)

latony007

Hey at least i saw one other person say they liked the quiet of the FZ6R, i thought i was absolutely the only one :)

Love the fender eliminator look (as long as you dont ride in the rain alot)
My best mod and bang for the buck was getting the seat done.

And dont worry you will get to pick new tires much sooner than you would like!! Im around 5500 and they are due, i can maybe get another 1000 out of them if im lucky. I'm going to have to get some kind of sport touring or something i can be putting on tires every 5000 miles.

lark

And dont worry you will get to pick new tires much sooner than you would like!! Im around 5500 and they are due, i can maybe get another 1000 out of them if im lucky. I'm going to have to get some kind of sport touring or something i can be putting on tires every 5000 miles.
Lol that's good to know, so that I won't just forget about the tires and then one day WAM. Did you have the Dunlop tires on when you got your fz6r?
What tires are you looking at to replace, and what are the advantages/disadvantages of sport touring vs what came on the bike?

I LOVE the new sound though, I really do feel like it's a jet engine now :D
Then again, I've always loved loud things. guitars, cars, bikes...

latony007

Lol that's good to know, so that I won't just forget about the tires and then one day WAM. Did you have the Dunlop tires on when you got your fz6r?
What tires are you looking at to replace, and what are the advantages/disadvantages of sport touring vs what came on the bike?

I LOVE the new sound though, I really do feel like it's a jet engine now :D
Then again, I've always loved loud things. guitars, cars, bikes...
I still have the stock dunlaps on. there are different compounds you can get, a sport touring will be a little harder than a sport tire so it wont grip quite as well but will last a lot more miles. Since i dont push the bike near its limits i think i will be ok with the sport touring but we will see...

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

lark

Now you need to ditch the rabbit ears and grab a smoked screen (puig or similar) to change the appearance a bit. I ditched my mirrors the first week I had my bike and the rear fender. My first 2 mods.
i have been thinking about the mirrors already, but I haven't decided which way to go. I like the visibility of my mirrors :D I have also been thinking about a different bar, but I want to coordinate the 2 and see what will go best together.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

lark

If you're thinking about clip ons then you might wanna try dropping the front down an inch first to see if you like it. Clip ons don't change the riding position as much as most would think, but I like them much better. Zx6r mirrors are 2nd only to stock for visibility, but look better by a mile. Visibility isn't much worse, just a lil bit worse IMO. I have pics of and with both if you need a visual reference.
By drop the front down an inch do you mean the suspension or the bar? I like the way the shorty levers look! I was going to see if it helped with my reach, since my arms aren't super long. How does it feel handling wise? I've only ridden 2 different bikes before and neither with handles positioned like that. I looked through your album, the zx6r mirrors do look good!