Finally caved in to R6 headers....

mccloudcc

Hey guys, SO
I just picked up 1999-2002 (-05'?) Headers for an R6. I finally decided to go for the DIY and just do it instead of spending 1K ish for the full system.
I picked up the headers for $9.99 shipped, a Yoshi Midpipe for $20.00 shipped, and a TBR Juice box for $160. For under $200 all together, I'm pretty happy, over the $850 option to to M4 or the $1000ish to go TBR carbon fiber. I plan on installing it all this weekend in my spare time, and just set the juice box to run a little rich until I can afford to pick up a GYTR slip on. I asked the dealership in town if it would be okay to run straight until next payday, and he said it'll be fine, so long as I run a little rich. And I don't mind the loudness either, maybe I'll end up liking it :D

In the meantime, can you guys give me some tips on installation? Other than bending, what all has to be done to the headers? I hear the engine block is exactly the same on the 6R as on the 1999-02' R6, so it should just bolt right up into the ports, right?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

staytrue

Some people who has 95-02 R6 headers they said that they didn't bend headers at all... I'm looking for 02 headers myself, but can't find for a decent price.

mccloudcc

Excuse my ignorange, is that midpipe you got an extension to attach the slip-on? Any pics of your new gear?

Yeah, basically. It just clamps on to the end of the header, and it doesn't look too bad, better than I expected. I just slipped the midpipe/linkpipe (to whom their own) on and rotated it to an angle that I liked. From what I can tell, it's a completely equivalent to a Jardine GP1, I mean...It IS just a straight through pipe ;) I completely expected the loudness though. Haven't taken it out to ride yet because it started raining RIGHT after I finished install but I'll get around to it tomorrow.

Attachments