FE Install - Do the wires unplug or do I cut and splice??

Bikegirl88

Hi Guys,

I am installing my FE. Is there an unplug for the wiring or is a a snippy job?

Thanks

bmw675

i unplugged mine. i believe they were gray and black? they were behind the plastic piece on the right side of the passenger seat. there is a black rubber "sock" over a few connections and they are in there. same plugs as the front turn signals if that helps you.

MikeN02

i unplugged mine. i believe they were gray and black? they were behind the plastic piece on the right side of the passenger seat. there is a black rubber "sock" over a few connections and they are in there. same plugs as the front turn signals if that helps you.
Depends on what FE kit you get. Or you can buy the connectors from your local motorcycle store so it'll be a easy install. If you didn't you'd have to ghetto wire it and cut and rewire it. Yes the connectors for the turn signals are Black and Grey. And they are on the right side of the bike if you are sitting on it.

Personally I took off the grab bar, and then the right side casing so it'll be a easier job. You can actually see the rubber sock that covers if if you take off the passenger seat but it's hard to pull it back and unplug.

bmw675

very well could be. my targa came with new conncectors and im glad they did. i ended up reusing the stock signals b/c i had problems with the stud coming out of the rubber head. plus they were a little small for my comfort.
but liek you said, some may not come with connectors.

Depends on what FE kit you get. Or you can buy the connectors from your local motorcycle store so it'll be a easy install. If you didn't you'd have to ghetto wire it and cut and rewire it. Yes the connectors for the turn signals are Black and Grey. And they are on the right side of the bike if you are sitting on it.

Personally I took off the grab bar, and then the right side casing so it'll be a easier job. You can actually see the rubber sock that covers if if you take off the passenger seat but it's hard to pull it back and unplug.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, you can unplug them. That's what I did for my FE. Just be forewarned, there is not a lot of space to work around in to get to the plugs, so it can be tricky getting them apart. If you have the time and patience, try removing the rear plastics, that will give you lots of room and visibility to do the job. Personally, I wanted to make sure to keep the wires intact because I reused the stock signals.

MikeN02

I just reused the stock connectors. I cut up the wires of the stock fender and rewired it and electric taped it to the connectors and click them back together. Same thing with the plate lights... was a hassle but I was saving money.

Comiha22

very well could be. my targa came with new conncectors and im glad they did. i ended up reusing the stock signals b/c i had problems with the stud coming out of the rubber head. plus they were a little small for my comfort.
but liek you said, some may not come with connectors.
BMW - I put the Targa FE on last Friday and had the same problem; pulled the left bolt right through the rubber. Those studs with the rubber heads are a terrible design. I can't believe they just wouldn't put a bolt or spacer in the rubber head so that it couldn't pull. I used them anyways, but will probably have to Gorilla Glue/apoxy the left one to give it more support.

Superfly

Hi Guys,

I am installing my FE. Is there an unplug for the wiring or is a a snippy job?

Thanks
Are you re-using your stock turn signals and if so how are you getting them off the oem fender...i looked at them and i'm not really sure...maybe i'll see better with the oem fender off. I'm planning on reusing the stock signals cause I'm not really sold on these small led ones for visability during the day and the traffic is nuts here....btw I'm in vaughn and i've been out twice this week...what a wicked spring we're having in the GTA:canada:

Bikegirl88

I am using the LED ones. I really do not like the look of teh stock ones. I am also looking for flush mounts.

MikeN02

I am using the LED ones. I really do not like the look of teh stock ones. I am also looking for flush mounts.
If you're looking for flush mounts try the link at the top. The ebay R6 ones fit perfectly to our bikes and their LED. I got mine for about $20 compared to the true proton lights which are about $120.

Bikegirl88

Thanks to everybody!

It took longer than expected to install but it is done. Removed the rear plastics and to expose the connections, rewired the new lights with londer leads and tucked everything neatly away. Looks good.

:);):D